• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Interesting Use of Disquise Self

ARandomGod

First Post
A player in a game I'm running came up with an intriguing idea.
He's playing a halfling caster. Now say he casts reduce on himself. Among other things this should grant a +4 to hide, and he should be tiny. Now say he casts Disguise Self on his reduced person, granting the appearance of being one foot shorter. At that size, one foot shorter moves his appearance down another size category to diminutive.

Would that grant an additional +4 to hide?

Thoughts:
It IS a glamer.
Hiding is the only thing it would actually effect that I can see, as that does rely on sight.
Invisibility is a second level spell, and grants +20 (+40 if standing still), this is level one and would give +4 (if allowed).

There was much debate among the group he'll be playing with. Mostly people speaking up against the idea. Everything I'm reading implies that it would work that way by a RAW interpretation, however if it would it would also be a use not likely intended by the writers.

In one of the arguments against it was the scenario of casting Disguise Self to look like a one armed man, while using two weapon fighting (or even normal, but with the weapon in the missing arm), and then the opponent won't see the hand and so could theoretically be attacked flatfooted by it. Granting a sneak attack each time.

I thought that was interesting too, although I wouldn't say it would work quite that way... if you appeared as a one armed man, I can see it granting at least give a bonus to bluff for a feint. Or possibly it would act to feint as a free action against that one attack only (not the full action, but the first with the "invisible" arm. After one hit I'd say that the effect would be automatically disbelieved, as per invisibility.

But I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this. So what do you say, ENWorld?

Henry

Autoexreginated
I would allow it, but would only allow a +2 instead of a +4, and institute a general rule that the spell could help a given skill roll, but only with a +2 circumstance bonus. For example, a fearsome countenance might give a +2 to intimidate, a grandmotherly appearance might give a +2 to bluff, etc. This way, it sees use in things besides disguise, but it doesn't get taken advantage of.

Thanee

First Post
I'd say, that the value given only applies to medium-sized casters and double/halve according to size difference. Therefore the size-reduced halfling could only change appearance by a quarter foot that way.

No size category change.

Bye
Thanee

ARandomGod

First Post
Thanee said:
I'd say, that the value given only applies to medium-sized casters and double/halve according to size difference. Therefore the size-reduced halfling could only change appearance by a quarter foot that way.

No size category change.

Bye
Thanee

Ah, I've heard that one. And it's a pretty good assumtion of what was likely meant. And halving/doubling the value as the subject decreases or increases in size respectively is a good way to impliment that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads