• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Internet Romance: Dream or Reality?

MrFilthyIke

First Post
dreaded_beast said:
Do you think it is possible to have a real/mature romance through the Internet?

Yes, but don't call my wife and me mature...we're kids at heart. :p

I met my wife online, in the mIRC chat for the Camarilla (WW vampire rpga-like beast). We chatted for a while, started talking over the phone, and realized we REALLY got along well, could talk for hours, and liked many things in common. So, I forked out some cash, bought her a plane ticket and she came to visit. A month later we were engaged, and married two months later (thanks to short visas..some planning would have been fun, but we were under the clock).

We got married Feb 12th 2000. We're still married. We are proof that it sometimes works out. ;)

edit: I should add, she flew here from Melbourne, Australia. So it was a VERY long distance thing as well. I have in-laws I have not even had a chance to meet still. :)

Last edited:

Fieari

Explorer
It might have worked for me, were it not for the long-distance component. I too was not LOOKING for a relationship, it just kinda happened. And then we got to meet in a couple group settings, then I started dating her... but the fact that it was a two hour commute really strained things, and I finally sighed and gave up. There was another guy, on her street, also vying for her attention, and I just couldn't compete. If I'd been closer, the relationship would likely have been wonderfully perfect, although, granted, that is speculation.

The online medium is a great way to get to know a PERSON, but I think I'd reccomend meeting in real life and then trading online contacts, rather than the otherway around... unless the person you've really gotten into online actually does live within 15 minutes or so of you.

The art of letter writting was dead for quite a while, but the internet has revived it somewhat. I still cherish some of the letters. And of course, I had to end the relationship dramatically... took her to a ren fair, bought her a Yellow Rose (after priming her a week or two before with an interesting discussion about the meanings of flowers) and asked her for one last dance... last time I ever saw her. *teary sigh*

Can you tell I'm currently without a girlfriend?

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
I've met a few girls through the Internet. They were quite nice, though nothing really long-term.

Strangely, both were effectively long-distance relationships. The first actually only lived two miles from me, BUT she worked nights. I saw her exactly five times during our four-month relationship.

The second lived in Richmond, and drove up to visit. She was very, um, fun, but I realized something when she sort of hinted that she was sleeping with another of her male friends...that didn't make me mad, so I didn't care about her. We sort of drifted after that.

Brad

Xeriar

First Post
Hmm, I've seen it work.

I've usually seen it end in flames though. Often it's because of a bit of blindness on the part of one or (usually) both parties - not being honest about looks, about gender (!?) and personality conflicts that can come into being - most people are different on-line than in reality.

I won't discount them out of hand anymore, but... eh.

Remove ads