• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Internet Trolls Are Horrible People

Elven

First Post
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...rolls-are-narcissists-psychopaths-and-sadists

A study done at the University of Manitoba which links internet trolling to ordinary, everyday, sadism, psychopathy, and Machiavellianism.

While not a surprise, I've also seen people treated as trolls, that weren't (They challenged the status quo by thinking differently,)

But real trolls troll because they think they can do so with a degree of anonymity,
And do all the things they could not do in real life without serious repercussions,

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I just have to note - there's a lot of people who wind up in conflicts, not because they think differently, or are against the status quo, but because they cannot learn to express that different thinking without also expressing negative judgments about others. They're treated as trolls because they can't seem to build up their own ideas without tearing down others - and that is an issue.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah. Folks who conflate disapproval of their opinion with disapproval of their manners don't exactly help the issue. But nobody ever accepts that the latter might be true when believing the former makes them feel better, and requires no self-awareness or introspection.

Janx

Hero
so now that we've separated undiplomatic speakers from trolls...

Are Trolls really bad people in real life? I guess the summary of the article is that they are indeed sadists, etc.

so now that we've separated undiplomatic speakers from trolls...

Are Trolls really bad people in real life? I guess the summary of the article is that they are indeed sadists, etc.
It's a 'Psychology Today' article about a 'personality' study. I wouldn't put too much faith in the article or the study.

Janx

Hero
It's a 'Psychology Today' article about a 'personality' study. I wouldn't put too much faith in the article or the study.

I have no idea if that site isn't hoity-toity enough to qualify as definitive. Or if the study itself was perfect.

But trolls suck. And somebody did more science than i did to prove it.

Sounds good enough to me.

Elf Witch

First Post
I do see a lot of internet bullying and bullies tend to be very screwed up twisted people in real life so it does not surprise me that a lot of internet trolls are screwed up nasty people in real life. I don't have any study to back this up just a gut feeling and 56 years of life experience. But I think one aspect of trolling is a desire for control and attention so I have to wonder what kind of self confidence issues many trolls have in their real lives.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads