• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Interrupting a Long Rest

CapnZapp

Legend
If the intent of the list is that 1 hour total interruption consisting of any combination of those particular activities spoils a rest, what would a wording that is not very poor be?
If you read my post in context by clicking on the small button to jump up through the chain of quoted replies, the answer will be clear :)

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
If you read my post in context by clicking on the small button to jump up through the chain of quoted replies, the answer will be clear :)
Um... no.

I'm asking you a specific question, and that question has not been answered in this thread by anyone, though [MENTION=6855114]Helldritch[/MENTION] did give a bit of an attempt at answering it.

We have seen how people think the list should be worded assuming that the "1 hour of" portion only applies to walking, but what I want to know is how would the text need to be worded - other than how it is in the book right now - if the "1 hour of" portion is meant to apply to all of the items on the list.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
It's always fun when Grand Druids argue - I wonder which one will be turned into a newt first? ;)

CapnZapp

Legend
We have seen how people think the list should be worded assuming that the "1 hour of" portion only applies to walking, but what I want to know is how would the text need to be worded - other than how it is in the book right now - if the "1 hour of" portion is meant to apply to all of the items on the list.
Since the entire discussion revolves around not ruling it that way, I have no answer for you.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Um... no.

I'm asking you a specific question, and that question has not been answered in this thread by anyone, though [MENTION=6855114]Helldritch[/MENTION] did give a bit of an attempt at answering it.

I'd think that would be obvious.
"One hour of [any combination of?] the following:"

Proper lists make for clear reading.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Since the entire discussion revolves around not ruling it that way, I have no answer for you.
So you are saying that you believe the text to be ambiguous, but you refuse to have a conversation about how it could be less ambiguous unless the removal of ambiguity is accompanied by a change to the meaning of the passage?

I'd think that would be obvious.
"One hour of [any combination of?] the following:"

Proper lists make for clear reading.
It's not obvious because some of us don't see the current phrasing as ambiguous, which is why I asked someone that saw the text as being ambiguous how it could be made less so (since I, not seeing the ambiguity, am poorly equipped to see how to fix it).

Unfortunately, the person I asked appears to not wish to discuss how the ambiguity could be removed, just how the ambiguity can be interpreted as intentional.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Here's four different wordings, for four different intents. Pick one to suit:

1. A long rest is interrupted by a continuous hour or more of strenuous activity. Such activity might include combat, overland hiking, helming or crewing a vessel, study or transcription of spells, or anything else requiring a similar degree of alertness and concentration. Simple watchkeeping or sentry duty for two hours or less does not interrupt a long rest.
2. A long rest is interrupted by any degree of participation in any combat, or by a continuous hour or more of strenuous activity such as overland hiking, helming or crewing a vessel, study or transcription of spells, or anything else requiring a similar degree of alertness and concentration. Simple watchkeeping or sentry duty for two hours or less does not interrupt a long rest.
3. A long rest is interrupted by an hour or more of strenuous activity. Such activity might include combat, overland hiking, helming or crewing a vessel, study or transcription of spells, or anything else requiring a similar degree of alertness and concentration. The time thus spent is cumulative, and should it total an hour or more the long rest is lost. Simple watchkeeping or sentry duty for two hours or less does not interrupt a long rest.
4. A long rest is interrupted by any degree of participation in any combat, or by an hour or more of strenuous activity such as overland hiking, helming or crewing a vessel, study or transcription of spells, or anything else requiring a similar degree of alertness and concentration. The time thus spent is cumulative, and should it total an hour or more the long rest is lost. Simple watchkeeping or sentry duty for two hours or less does not interrupt a long rest.

Howzat?

The first one, I think, words it the way you want.

Lanefan

Yunru

Banned
Banned
It's like a shopping list. If I had a list that read "6 eggs, bread, jam, ham, milk." I wouldn't get 6 of everything. Replacing eggs with walking and 6 with "an hour".

Remove ads