• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Interview with PATHFINDER lead designer Jason Bulmahn

Betote

First Post
Odd definition of proof you have there. Some people like that kind of depth in a game system, some don't. No "flaw" about it.

No, no, it's been stated. If a game has rules about stairs, it's a bad game. Let's be serious; have you ever encountered a stair (regular or dire) in a game? They're just an urban legend, as the head of Vecna or women.

I play 5th edition STAIRCLIMBER: The Elliptical!

Clearly you love 2nd editon (when they measured steps per minute, but not heart rate or calorie burnage).

It's a game, dude, not a machine or an MMO!

JeffB

Legend
Thanks Jason for the clarification! I figured it was something simplistic like that, but I;ve played with some hardcore 3.X fans and well..complex rules for anything seemed to be what they wanted/preferred.

RefinedBean

First Post
No, no, it's been stated. If a game has rules about stairs, it's a bad game. Let's be serious; have you ever encountered a stair (regular or dire) in a game? They're just an urban legend, as the head of Vecna or women.

Pish posh. I saw a woman once while on expedition. It stared at me with deep, understanding eyes, and then fled back into the forests of the Pacific northwest.

They call me a liar, and a madman, but I saw the thing.

dm4hire

Explorer
I agree about there not being a need for stairs. I mean clearly every time I have a chance, or the DM I'm playing does, we push the opponents over the ledge next to the stairs instead of down them. It makes for a bigger damage ratio, unless they're giant made stairs. :p

It seems foolish to nit pick the rule when everyone knows darn well that, had it not been put in, one of the first questions asked would have been, "What impact do stairs have on moving?"

Belphanior

First Post
So, what did people find interesting in the interview besides rules for stairs? ;)

Honestly, not all that much. It started with some of Bulmahn's preferences and history, which isn't very interesting for me to read about. The latter half was about some things in Pathfinder, but I got the feeling I already knew most of that stuff. And I don't follow PF news all that closely.

And is it me or does the new Smite Evil sounds very much like the way 4e handles its striker classes?

roguerouge

First Post
Thanks for the clarification Jason - I figured it would be something minor like that. On a related note, though, did you do anything to patch up the more glaring holes in the rules I described? This refers especially to rules for running/racing/chasing/escaping/pursuit and rules for sleep deprivation/falling asleep. Of course, having made up a good system for running/racing/... of my own, I will keep using it, but I am still wondering if you tried to cover these holes in the rules.

Not sure if they're using it, but they had a superb chase system from Curse of the Crimson Throne. I'd been advocating for a vehicle-driving skill, but I doubt that they went that route.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads