• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Intoxicated

dkyle

First Post
Apparently, if you accidentally cut yourself with a knife while drunk (not an unlikely event) and you roll well on the d6, the knife bounces off of your skin. Just more evidence that hit points are covering too much territory (physical, psychological, and metagame).

The only way to cut yourself with a knife is pure DM fiat. If the DM fiats something that doesn't make sense, that's his own fault.

But it would be trivial to explain as "your own poor grip on the knife means it doesn't actually do anything".

I'm not a fan. You might not feel the pain, but the damage is still there. And what about HP as tuning a fatal blow into a near-miss. I don't think that gets easier when you're drunk.

As the rules clearly state, HP do not only represent physical damage (and minor physical damage does not necessarily imply reduced HP).

Also, it is very well known that being drunk quite literally turns fatal injuries (in car accidents) into non-fatal injuries. I don't see why that couldn't apply to combat injuries as well.

ferratus

Adventurer
Also, it is very well known that being drunk quite literally turns fatal injuries (in car accidents) into non-fatal injuries. I don't see why that couldn't apply to combat injuries as well.

Well, if you get proper medical care anyway.

I love the fact that being drunk or high lets you shrug off punishment, because that's what berserkers are. Because people have gotten drunk before going into battle as a survival strategy for millenia. Because it would be funny in actual play.

But I think I'd rather have intoxication give you temporary hp, or allow you to regain 1d6 temporary hp on a successful attack against you. That way you still need healing before you sober up, or you are in big trouble when you do feel the pain.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
That's true, as written there really isn't a reason for the wizard not to be drunk off his ass most of the time.

I suppose that's bad, but now I really want to play an alcoholic wizard.

Who DOESN'T want to play an alcoholic wizard?

Farnac waves his hand and poofs up a bottle of whiskey. Oh he nonchalantly fires a magic missile at that goblin and drinks the alcohol.

WOTC, I DEMAND A RUM MAKING SPELL!

Dykstrav

Adventurer
I'm not a fan of the intoxicated condition. In fact, it was the first thing that I noticed that I distinctly disliked.

I dislike it because I have enough issues with goofy players without having some sort of mechanical advantage to being goofy. In my last campaign we had a bard that was perpetually drunk anyway to justify him making dumb decisions--that player would never want to play a sober character again.

Although I do believe it's a legitimate thing to consider in a Conan-esque world where you spend lots of money and time drinking, it's too close to fart jokes for me to genuinely enjoy.

Yeah, I really like the idea of the "drunken master" style character being at least semi-viable (esp. with the slayer theme, so even on misses you're dealing damage), but I worry that the drunken wizard will be super common and overly effective. We'll have to see how it plays.

Also, of course, being continuously drunk requires bringing a fair amount of alcohol with you (and costs money), especially if you're doing wilderness adventuring/traveling to the dungeon, so the DM has some check.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
Just my $0.02 (USD), but Intoxicated doesn't have to mean drunk on alcohol. It would make a good poison effect and could work for a charm spell of some kind, too. Think of an evil druid's Poppy Predators, that force a WIS save vs Intoxicated when you engage them in melee. Or maybe an alchemist's Mind Fog Elixir that can be thrown like a grenade.

Remove ads