• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Intra-party assassination attempt

Pyske

Explorer
Recently, one of the PCs in my campaign decided to try to kill another. She had provocation, of sorts, and at the moment, I'm trying to figure out what the fallout will be all the way around. Any evil schemes would be welcomed.

Details: This is a D20 Rokugan campaign. The action revolves around Kobashi (a bounty hunter), Mioko (a Scorpion rogue), and Posen (an NPC, Mioko's mentor and Karmic twin).

Kobashi, hearing that a powerful daimyo might have a grudge against Posen, decides to arrest her and take her to the daimyo. Posen attempted to flee, and died while resisting arrest.

Because Posen had powerful enemies and the prestige class she was mentoring Mioko in was... less than honorable, the relationship was a secret.

Mioko feels honor-bound to avenge her mentor (and karmic twin, and ward... it gets a bit soap-opera like). Rather than assassinate him directly, she did what any good Scorpion would: she flexed her political muscles.

The daimyo of the Yogo family (Scorpion spell-casters) has been informed that Kobashi is corrupted by the evil of the Shadowlands and seeking to find a Bloodsword. He knows for a fact that Kobashi knows a very dangerous secret, which Kobashi has vowed to take to his grave (but this new letter may cast doubt on Kobashi's honor in the matter.)

So, the theme of my campaign is responsibility and consequences. I'd love to hear your ideas of what the consequences should be here, for both Mioko and Kobashi.

. . . . . . . -- Eric

PS -- This is the SHORT version of the story. I can add details if you feel like you need more information.

Pyske

Explorer
This thread seems to have sunk like a stone, possibly because of the time of day I posted it. This will be my one and only "bump" in hopes of resurrecting it.

DwarvenBrew

First Post
Sort of a lost cause...

IMO, scenarios like this are what destroys gaming groups. In the end, people tend to hold grudges that spill into follow-on campaigns/adventures.

I know my opinion isn't particularly "helpful", but it's what I think. D&D really is a team game if your goal is to have fun. However, if you have particularly mature players, it might all pan out.

If I was the DM, and was interested in saving the campaign for the long haul, then *I* would probably try to reunite the characters by forcing them to rely on each other.

For instance, perhaps someone within the Yogo family has an old grudge against Mioko, and somehow sets up a particular encounter between Kobashi and the Yogo agents so that Mioko appears to be a "double agent", and she is actually an ally of Kobashi (why she would be a double agent would have to be something that your creative NPC with a grudge would have to make up, I just don't have enough background to think of a good one). In short, now Mioko is on the run too, and would need Kobashi to help her stay one step ahead.

The easiest way to make Kobashi need Mioko is simply to give her "inside information" about the Yogo family that will help keep them both alive.

The campaign plot would shift to staying one step ahead of the Yogo family that's seeking vengance, with many side adventures interspersed throughout.

Just my idea, let us know what you do and how it turns out.

Squire James

First Post
If you allow a Scorpion clan character into your campaign, you're kinda asking for this sort of game. This can be interesting and fun, or a group-wrecker, depending on how well the players handle it. If you didn't want this to happen, well, Kobashi shouldn't have been given reason to pursue Posen. As a DM, you have the power to not let that kind of information exist!

All I can ask is: is it ALREADY personal between the players? In particular, did Kobashi do what he did because his player had a thing against Mioko's player (or perhaps a perception that you are favoring that player a bit with that "mentor")? If so, this fiasco of a campaign needs to end quickly! If not, well, let things play out, replace the dead PC's with new characters (disallow similar character types unless you're a glutton for more trouble), and go on. Some great stories come out of botched games!

Pyske

Explorer
To answer the questions and respond to the comments:

Neither is taking it particularly personally out of character, and both are very mature gamers.

The idea of having someone in the Yogo clan try to expand things to include Mioko is interesting, and I'll have to consider it further.

As far as not letting enemies exist for PCs and NPC, I enjoy having people who are "enemies" without wanting to kill each other, and since the campaign is highly politics / intrigue based, I have a lot of those.

If I was rewriting history, I might have Posen be captured and escape. Even 'though failing to resist would be pretty out of character for her.

As for ending the campaign soon, I hope not! This is the most successful campaign I have run in some time, and it has lasted over a year so far.

. . . . . . . -- Eric

Remove ads