• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Intro adventure in DMG: Too difficult?

bobwithasilentc

First Post
Hi all,

I'm a long time DM and player, and I finally (due to financial restrictions) got my hands on the core books for 4E, and decided to run my relatively inexperienced group through the intro adventure (Kobold Hall) in the DMG so we could familiarise ourselves with the system, especially the combat end of it. Due to time restraints we only got through the first three rooms of the mini dungeon, and I will be running the last part in a few days. Since I was unfamiliar with any balance changes made in 4e, I decided to run it as written, supposedly a suitable "intro" scenario for 1st level characters.

*possible spoilers*

However, to my eyes, the final encounter (with a young adult DRAGON) seems way too difficult for a party of 1st level characters to deal with. I mean, it's likely that my players, having finished off the Kobold "boss" will wander into the dragon's cavern not ready for much of a fight. But the dragon has 200+ hp, good defenses, and relatively dangerous attacks, and I can easily see several character deaths, if not a TPK. Even if the characters were fully healed and ready for it, it would still be a big challenge.

Has anyone else played this adventure? Are my fears accurate, or does the 4e combat system make the dragon less of a threat? I would appreciate some advice from anyone who has run the adventure, as I don't just want to write the dragon out of the adventure. After all the PC's are there to investigate what "superior force" has caused the Kobolds to become more organised and aggressive, and some of the PC's have already used their nature skill to realise the connection between Kobolds and dragons (that kobolds often act as servants for evil dragons etc).

Thanks,

Bob

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
This adventure was used as part of the DnD experience and other events used to show off the combat system of 4E.

The body count was high, but a few groups did manage to down the dragon. Most did not, however.

If you are worried about it, you may wish to provide the PCs with a heads-up that the Dragon encounter coming up should not be rushed into. Also, you may also want to have the dragon fight to get away, as oppossed to fight to win, if you're worried about a TPK.

Doomhawk

First Post
My group of 4 players killed the dragon with no deaths, and without even a healer. So it's certainly a winnable encounter.

pogminky

First Post
Havern't played it - but I had similar fears. I guess it depends how depleted the PCs are from the boss kobold encounter. It seems like 4e PCs can handle a lot though.

hexgrid

Explorer
Two of four PCs fell to the dragon when I ran it.

They would have all survived, but toward the end of the battle the dragon got a lucky breath weapon recharge, which resulted in two breath weapon critical hits.

Remove ads