• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Introducing the PCs

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm very lazy in that regard - I do the same in all my campaigns. "OK. You all know and trust each other already. Here's the adventure!"

Mahatatain

Explorer
LOL - my players will need more than that otherwise they're liable to go off on major tangents!

PC motivations are important in my gaming group and WotBS doesn't rely on treasure seeking (which is good) so I need to set it up correctly otherwise it's going to become a problem at some point later in the campaign.

Anyone got any suggestions or examples of how they motivated characters when they ran WotBS?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Make one of them a wizard or sorcerer, and you're all set! Their own sense of self-preservation will have them trying to escape Gate Pass.

Graphil

First Post
Just had 1 basic premise. They had to be born in Gate Pass and be totally loyal to the city. The rest followed easily from that.

In my initial group, we had a wizard, a guy with a sorceress sibling, a guy on the run from the Ragesians for spying, and a military deserter with secret magic powers. That united them pretty strongly against the inquisitors.

You can have your players write backgrounds but mandate they have a motivation pushing them to adventure that's half-blank and filled in via the AP. Or you can write a list of hooks and ask the players to work one into their background.
Alternatively you could tease/spoil a little of the main hook or plot of the adventure and have them work it into their background however they wish.
If you're familiar with the game Fiasco its background system can be employed to link together PCs.

Or you could just have them meet in a tavern.

Well, War of the Burning Sky actually does start with the PCs meeting in a tavern.

The tavern shortly thereafter catches on fire as the city is invaded, but certain tropes must be properly maintained.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads