• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Intrusion Explained

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Well, now that some of the intrusion mechanism is a little further described, depending on how things have changed there were two kinds of intrusion.

One happens on a natural fumble of 1, auto fail and something awkward/bad happens. No XP for the PC on those. At least from what I remember reading.

On the other hand, if the GM chooses to intrude into the narrative that the PC's are engaged in to make things a little more difficult or
wants to introduce a new issue into the dynamic, he can intrude upon the narrative. Primarily focused on one PC, in which he grants an XP
in response. Now if things haven't changed too much, there was a second XP that the targeted PC could now grant to another player at
the table, but I don't know if this made it into the final book. In effect this granted the party 2XP overall.

And yes, it's very similar to the FATE or other Destiny systems from other games.

I am most definitely looking forward to getting my PDF copy Aug 1, and both copies of the Core Book, and Players Guide.
One of each from the Original Kickstarter, and one of each from the Torment Kickstarter.

That way my signed version can gracefully sit on my bookshelf, and I can take the other out gaming.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
I don't understand this new movement in RPGs. I have always done this, and without giving the PC anything in return except maniacal laughter. How is this better?
It's better because it doesn't feel like you're being screwed over by the DM arbitrarily deciding to pick on you. Instead, you get a benefit to go along with the bad stuff so it feels more...neutral. Plus, I think there is a difference between the rules telling you that something is acceptable in a game and the DM just deciding to do something on their own.

ThirdWizard

First Post
The main reason that I think it is better in FATE is because compels are based on pre-existing aspects. If you describe your character with the aspect TWO LEFT FEET, then its fun when the GM compels you to trip and fall while being chased by the villain because its emphasizing something about the character that you want emphasized. This seems too nebulous, not necessarily influenced by a narrative the players are trying to build together, but instead just what the DM might think is neat.

Now that's not to say it might not be a good mechanic, or fun. But, FATE's aspects have a certain built in participation, a conversation between player and GM, that this doesn't seem to have built into it.

awindgate

First Post
Works the same in numenera you can refuse but pay an experience point rather then gain one and have an additional one to give to a fellow player.

The main reason that I think it is better in FATE is because compels are based on pre-existing aspects. If you describe your character with the aspect TWO LEFT FEET, then its fun when the GM compels you to trip and fall while being chased by the villain because its emphasizing something about the character that you want emphasized.

This. And because the name "GM Intrusion" is itself flow-breaking. It actively calls itself an intrusion. And I think the name is the worst thing of all.

For those of us who were unsure what it meant, Monte Cook's mentioned it in an interview on MTV:

Ok idea, terrible example. I cant read it would hearing the Nelson "Ha Ha". "You drop your sword and look like a chump" doesnt make the scene more interesting. Neither does saying "hah, GM intrustion, you fail your save, get hit, etc". Making it more interesting would be having the floor collapse, a wandering patrol show up, wild magic, etc. Sorry Monte, Fate does it MUCH better.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
The thing is, the intrusion is best used in extending a slight misfortune of luck into something greater, or changing the current dynamic. It allows the DM/GM to introduce new variables into the current established norm. And with the setting having multiple generations of lost technology, and the PC's using tech and devices that weren't designed for that purpose, it allows the DM to keep that variable in play. On a fumble ( rolling a 1) the 'intrusion' could be as simple as losing your footing, either in combat, or when you attempted to climb down from somewhere, to something that might explode in your face. It's up to the DM to decide the level of intrusion. The intrusion that grants XP should be somewhat 'game changing' shifting the PC's world either slightly or strongly.

I am perfectly fine realizing that other players/GM's don't like this kind of method of play, I however am looking forward to playing with this, and perhaps adapting it elsewhere.

I already use Critical fumbles in DND.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads