• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Invisibility and Light Source

lukelightning

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
How easily could anyone work out where the centre of the illumination is when you can't see the actual thing that is shining?

I'd say it's not that hard...there would be a bright point/area of light. This is one of the reasons that dwarf rogues rock. Hooray for darkvision!

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
lukelightning said:
I'd say it's not that hard...there would be a bright point/area of light. This is one of the reasons that dwarf rogues rock. Hooray for darkvision!

To my mind, you'd have an area that was illuminated but you wouldn't be able to see the source of the light (it's invisible!). Hence my comment.

I freely agree it is merely an interpretation of course!

Jeph

Explorer
Although the rules don't really support it, the coolest option would be invisible light. You know, light that only illuminates if you've got a See Invisibility or something up and running.

Dross

Explorer
Plane Sailing said:
To my mind, you'd have an area that was illuminated but you wouldn't be able to see the source of the light (it's invisible!). Hence my comment.

I freely agree it is merely an interpretation of course!

I would think that initially you are correct, but most adventurers (PC & NPC) are savvy enough to realise something is going on and specifically look for the centre of the lit area, especially if the lit area moves around.

It'll take guesswork and maybe a spot check, but you could say: That's about the centre of the lit area, that's where I'll place my attack.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Plane Sailing said:

I'm looking up at the fluorescent panels above my desk. I can't see the fluorescent tubes - there's a frosted plastic panel that conceals them. But even though I can't see the glass, and even though the entire cavity is illuminated (as is the room below it), it's obvious where the tubes are, because there's a much brighter tube-shaped glow in those positions.

The source of the light might be the glass (hidden), the electrodes (likewise), or the gas (invisible anyway)... but it's the light I'm seeing, and the light is what tells me where the tubes are.

-Hyp.

frankthedm

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
I'm looking up at the fluorescent panels above my desk. I can't see the fluorescent tubes - there's a frosted plastic panel that conceals them. But even though I can't see the glass, and even though the entire cavity is illuminated (as is the room below it), it's obvious where the tubes are, because there's a much brighter tube-shaped glow in those positions.

The source of the light might be the glass (hidden), the electrodes (likewise), or the gas (invisible anyway)... but it's the light I'm seeing, and the light is what tells me where the tubes are.

-Hyp.
Very good analogy.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Hypersmurf said:

Ah, but you don't have *magic* fluorescent panels, do you :)

Michaluk

First Post
mvincent said:
From the Rules of the Game (if desired):
"The rules don't explain what happens when you carry a concealed light source when you become invisible. They also don't say what happens if you're invisible and you tuck a light source into your clothing. If you follow the rules to the letter, the concealed light source just keeps right on shining. In that case, it's best to dump any continual flame effects you might have tucked away in your gear so that their light won't give you away while you're invisible.

I don't see how this is the case at all. Of course it keeps on shining ... it shines right into the inside of your pocket and the light doesn't go anywhere. Invisibility is an illusion after all. Your clothes and body still exist and stop light, it just appears as though they don't. According to rules of the game invisibility can be used like an x-ray. Just drink the stuff in this glowstick and we'll figure out whats wrong with you in no time.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads