• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Invisible Gel Cube...

I'm in the process of building an encounter that will have a 10 ft wide x 10 ft tall hallway occupied by an invisible gel cube, and I'm trying to think of the interesting rule situations this will create. On one side of the gel cube will be the party, on the other will be an enemy spellcaster that has some control over the cube.

I'm assuming that the enemy spellcaster will gain 100% cover from the cube. I'm curious as to what this will do to spells like magic missle. Total cover stops a magic missle, but if the party wizard casts before the cube is discovered, will she loose the spell?

Another question, if a fighter charges the enemy spellcaster before the cube is revealed...what happens? For example, if the cube loses initative and is flat footed, it cannot take AoAs. So what happens when the fighter plows into the cube going full speed? Does he simply get knocked back?

I'm trying to think of some of these situations before the session starts so that I can work out the scenario in my head. If anyone else has any weird combinations, please let me know!

Matt

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
NCSUCodeMonkey said:

I'm assuming that the enemy spellcaster will gain 100% cover from the cube. I'm curious as to what this will do to spells like magic missle. Total cover stops a magic missle, but if the party wizard casts before the cube is discovered, will she loose the spell?
Yes, the spell is lost. If you cast a targeted spell when you have no line of effect to the target, it fizzles without effect.

Another question, if a fighter charges the enemy spellcaster before the cube is revealed...what happens?
From the monster description: "Creatures who fail to notice a cube and walk into it are automatically engulfed." The cube need not take an AoO, or any other kind of action, for this to happen. (Apparently the target doesn't even get a saving throw. Ouch.)

Morose

First Post
That is SUCH an evil idea. I like it. ;) Just be careful to have the enemy spellcaster obey all the same restrictions as the party and you have a very fun, very memorable encounter designed there.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
I just thought of a problem.

Since the hallway is entirely filled by the cube, how is the BBEG going to attack the party? Or even talk to them?

Wippit Guud

First Post
Use message spell.

Level 1, last 10 minutes/level, affects 1 creature per level, and no save.

Evil mage at the end of the hallway, and he's whispering in your ear to talk to you. How's that for ambiance!

Tiberius

Explorer
Doesn't Message have the same line of effect problem as Magic Missile? If the gelatinous cube blocks that spell, it should block the Message as well.

-Tiberius

Last edited:

Wippit Guud

First Post
Well...

"The message, however, does not have to travel in a straight line. It can circumvent a barrier if there is an open path between the character and the subject, and the path’s entire length lies within the spell’s range"

Leave an inch along the top of the cube, and it works fine. MM has to be in a straight line, so it can't be cast.

In my current design, the caster is going to be a transmuter, so I don't think that the majority of his spells will be too bothered by the cover bonus given by the cube. If anybody has a better suggestion for a school focus, please let me know! As for conversation, let's just say that this enemy has a very interesting past. :) The party may never be able to hear what he has to say, but considering the fact that they have no idea he exists, it should just add to the mystery.

It's early in the campaign and I'm kicking off story lines by the dozens. If they never hear him speak, it'll just mean that I can be more inventive with the plotline later :D

Matt

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
If he starts casting spells that the party can't hear, that should be a dead giveaway that something weird is happening. They'll be able to see his mouth moving as he casts, but the sound will be muffled, and obviously neither party is in a magical Silence effect.

I'd give them a DC 20 Spot or Listen check (PC choice) to realize that "something" they cannot see is blocking the sound.

Remove ads