• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Invisible, hidden and within 5 feet of an enemy making a ranged attack

Horwath

Legend
this is why we need AoO for using ranged attacks while you are in threat area of an enemy.

You attack normally with ranged attacks while in melee unless you suffer AoO(does not matter if attacks hits or not) from anyone that is threatening you.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I would rule that the invisible character has two choices. Remain hidden and let the archer attack normally, or reveal their position (but not ending the invisibility) and impose disadvantage.
Again, if they are Hidden in the first place. Otherwise, the RAW works and makes sense.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (He/him)
It seems to be the intent of the rule that a hidden creature could interfere with a ranged attacker's ability to aim without revealing its location. Adjust your fiction to suit.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The OP states that the invisible character is hidden.
True. I saw that at first but overlooked it when talking about more general cases.

If the PC is Hidden, causing disadvantage would reveal his presence, but he would still be invisible. If the archer has no clue he is there because he is Hidden, then no disadvantage as there is no hostile creature.

nevin

Hero
Got into a discussion with my DM. I was invisible, hidden and standing next to an archer. When he fired at an ally of mine I reminded the DM the attack is with disadvantage. DM said if he does not know I am there it should not be disadvantage. We talked about it, ultimately he made the attack with disadvantage.

I think that is the right answer RAW, correct?

This creates an interesting dynamic though. IF I turn it around and imagining I am the archer as a player and the DM tells me I have disadvantage and I say "why" and he says enemy within 5 feet, then I immediately know there is an enemy near me. Can I move and take the shot from somewhere else based on knowing someone is near me when I don't know anyone is near me? Can I pullout a melee weapon and dodge? This is the case of a mechanic (disadvantage) alerting me of something I would not otherwise know.
I'd have agreed with you , if you were in front of the enemy, with the point that the disadvantage is he might hit you instead of his target. If you were behind him then no I wouldn't give the enemy a disadvantage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads