Invisible Sun: Return of the Black Cube

Birmy

Adventurer
I was really intrigued by the concept of this the first time around, but couldn't justify the price of the Kickstarter. A lot of the supplements are easy to find cheap online, but not the box. Have any of you played this? Did you find it worth the investment?

James Fellows

Explorer
I have the original Black Cube, and it's the most fantastical game I own. It oozes with lore, and yet allows you to expand to however your collaborative narrative works. Session 0 actively expects all players to contribute to the world, with Neighbourhoods.

Base mechanics are 1d10 - much like Cypher, you lower the Challenge using resources - building your Venture - then roll to get the number or above.

Against magic, you need to use at least 2d10 - so you have to use magic to even have a chance. Simple.

However, roll a zero on a magic dice - you get flux, something magical and random happens.

Each order has their own subsystems, rolling dice for summoning, making, researching spells, etc. Weavers combine concepts to make magic on the fly. But there's plenty of general spells ready to go. The core of the magic system runs off an Effects by Level table.

Forte gives you another tangent of magical abilities.

... and there's a lot more. It's a deep game.

I found the game works well by slowly introducing concepts and rules. Build your arcane mastery.

The 3rd campaign has already doubled it's initial funding goal... join us.

Return to the Actuality, Vislae.

[starting yet another campaign next week - it's easy to get players, 2-3 works fine - lots of love on the Cypher Unlimited Discord Server!]

Last edited:

Adz

Villager
Definitely worth it. I have been GMing since the 1980s in numerous systems and running large LARPS from 1997 until 2014. Invisible Sun is by far the game I enjoy GMing most. It really allows, even encourages, players to take control of their own character narrativ. I liken running Invisible Sun to jamming or riffing jazz lines with the entire table. I don’t deliver a narrative or game to the players but rather play it alongside them

The surreal nature of the setting allows for all kinds of wonderful locations and entities to make their way into the story. I find it both deep and reflective as well as extremely playful. I can’t seem to run enough games to keep our local gaming community satisfied. I have no regrets on having backed every KS for this product to the point I own all the main books and supplements.

Remove ads