• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Invoker preview is up!

jtrowell

First Post
Too bad there are only the first 3 levels, but the class seems good.

But we need the definition of the "summoning" keyword, as currently the only summoning power (a daily of course) is incomplete without it :

- nothing about ending the power : no sustain action, no time limit
- the invocation has a speed value, but there's no move action in the action availables to control it (maybe all summons have a default move action useable byt the summoner ?)
- there's no mention of defenses or hit points : is the sumoning without time limit and without any way to kill the creature? I doubt it, but the summoning keyword probably have the answer

Last edited:

Can someone who has accessed the content tell the rest of us a bit more?

Describe their at-wills.
How vital does Con seem to their build (glad to see some Con support)?
How do they compare to the Wizard in control ability? (status effects, AOE, etc) ?
Do they overshadow the wizard in damage output?
With access to chain I would expect the range on their invocations/prayers to be shorter or for there to be an expectation of having them front-line. Is this accurate?

Mengu

First Post

Describe their at-wills.
How do they compare to the Wizard in control ability? (status effects, AOE, etc) ?
With access to chain I would expect the range on their invocations/prayers to be shorter or for there to be an expectation of having them front-line. Is this accurate?

at-wills
Something like Eldritch Blast
Something that lets them shoot two targets
Something that slows multiple targets and does small amount of damage
Something that does average damage and slides target
Something like Scorching burst

Con can be vital or not, depending on the build.

Effects are as good as most wizards (except maybe orb wizard).

Slightly better than wizard in damage (depending on power choices)

Ranges are all 10, very few close powers. Will mostly stay in the back. Wizard hitpoints and surges.

reticent

First Post

Describe their at-wills.

There is a slightly better scorching burst.
There are two single target at-wills that can sub for an RBA, one of which with a slide attached.
There are also a 2 target ranged and an iffy aoe slow.

There is a Wis/Con build and a Wis/Int build, emphasis on Wis either way.

There is a surprising (to me) amount of damage here, on par with the Wizard I think, though maybe a bit less control.

This class can visit the front line, but you really don't want it to stay there.

Also, the class features have a very traditional D&D cleric vibe.

Mengu

First Post
Like I said, it's a damn fool Invoker who doesn't take Astral Fire. It seems like the only powers that don't deal radiant damage deal fire damage. And then maybe one or two that deal lightning and/or thunder.

It requires two dump stats for the invoker to be 13's. I think Divine Bolts, Vanguard Lightning, and Thunder of Judgement are all great powers, and Raging Storm will be easier to qualify for, especially for an elf invoker.

ConanMK

First Post
So what is an invoker story-wise? How is it different from a Cleric aside from being a controller instead of a leader? Do invokers worship gods like a cleric, or do they simply (as the name implies) invoke various spirits? How does the preview define an invoker?

Edit: Also, is it a 4E version of the Invoker from the 3E Tome of Magic or something completely new?

Last edited:

Mengu

First Post
So what is an invoker story-wise? How is it different from a Cleric aside from being a controller instead of a leader? Do invokers worship gods like a cleric, or do they simply (as the name implies) invoke various spirits? How does the preview define an invoker?

Edit: Also, is it a 4E version of the Invoker from the 3E Tome of Magic or something completely new?

They do not worship a single god, they worship all the gods. They might send more prayers towards one (and it's usually one of the ancient ones or Io), but they know and respect the power of all gods.

The role is controller because most powers are controller-like (hit multiple targets plus some sort of controlling effect). There are a few leader-like powers that slide allies around, but no healing powers which would define a leader (cleric).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads