• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ioun stones & more

Lameth

First Post
I have a few questions about some magical items that have me a bit confused.

1. I cannot find what location the Ioun stone occupies. I assume it is the head location, but it really doesnt say. Since its in orbit around the head can you use a helmet too? Can you use multiple Ioun stones at the same time (the picture on page 261 suggests you can)?

2. The pearly white Ioun stone regenerates 1 point of damage per hour (close to useless), but at the same time you see in the text that it works like a ring of regeneration which regenerates 1 point of damage per level every 5 minutes (which is a whole different ballgame).

3. What location does a stone of luck occupy? I adjucated that it was a neck location item, but the DMG doesn't really say. Any insights?

4. My players found an item in the Necromancer Games campaign "Trouble at Durbenford" (which is excellent by the way) called Oil of Timelessness. It's not described in the new magical items section and i cannot find it in the 3.5 DMG. Anyone know what this is?

- Lameth

Darklone

Ioun stones don't occupy slots.

The pearly white stone works like the ring except for the lower regeneration rate (look at the price).

Stone? Put it in your pocket.

Necromancergames stuff should be in Rituals&Relics I or II. The name sounds familiar, so I think it's in the first book. That does probably mean it's broken ;)

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
As said, some things (like Ioun stones and luck stones) don't take up slots. They are 'slotless' and thus cost extra.

Maybe the 'Oil of Timelessness" is the same as the "Unguent of timelessness" (In the DMG, Pg. 268)??

-Tatsu

Lameth

First Post
Tatsukun, i think you are right on that Unguent. I'll use that one.

Thanks to both of you! :)

When you say that an Ioun stone doesn't take up slots I assume you can use several at the same time?

- Lameth

Will

First Post
If I remember correctly, ioun stones are priced as 'slotless,' if you look at the magic item creation table.

So, in other words, you are PAYING for the advantage. Not only that, but people can snatch them away. I think it works.

green slime

First Post
Not only are they slotless, (thus you can use an unlimited amount of them, swirling around your head, blocking your vision), and costly, costing twice as much as a slotted item, they do not stack with the slotted item! Nor do Ioun stones stack with similar ioun stones. SO after aquiring one of each type, you just aquire dull grey ioun stones that only circle around your head, paint them the appropriate colour (confusing attempts to snatch them), and receive a cover bonus vs head shots! :D

Darklone

xazil said:
Some DMs treat Ioun Stones as unattended items and fair game for area affect spells, means they don't last long....
Now that's a bit rough. Every fireball killing them... not a DM I want to play with.

Remove ads