• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

iPhone 5S

Janx

Hero
I have a 4 that I see no need to upgrade, even though my wife has a 4S for direct comparison. I personally think the 5-series screens have gotten too large.

You're going to do what you're going to do, but some reasons to reconsider:

No more iOS updates, you are stuck with iOS 6.

Eventually, no more access to iTunes/appstore (they lock you out completely at some point, my reset iPod Touch 1 is pretty much stuck with zero apps thanks to this)

battery capacity reduces by 1 minute per full recharge worth of recharging. Basically, a 2 year old phone is likely to have a dramatically smaller capacity.

Lock out of Apps that require the latest iOS (apple forced app to certify to iOS 3, which shutdown a lot of older apps, and in reverse, blocks older devices from downloading new apps)

reduced resale value. Not important if you're going to drive it until it dies, but useful if you do want to upgrade, as your old phone can defray the cost of the new phone.

You're going to do what you're going to do, but some reasons to reconsider:

No more iOS updates, you are stuck with iOS 6.

Not an issue -- I understand iOS 7 will be backward compatible to the 4, but even if it weren't, I still regret upgrading from iOS 5.

Eventually, no more access to iTunes/appstore (they lock you out completely at some point, my reset iPod Touch 1 is pretty much stuck with zero apps thanks to this)

I'm sure that's a long way off.

battery capacity reduces by 1 minute per full recharge worth of recharging. Basically, a 2 year old phone is likely to have a dramatically smaller capacity.

I'm at three years on the phone without significant degradation, so it has a while to go yet. But I expect that it will eventually drive me to a replacement.

Lock out of Apps that require the latest iOS (apple forced app to certify to iOS 3, which shutdown a lot of older apps, and in reverse, blocks older devices from downloading new apps)

reduced resale value. Not important if you're going to drive it until it dies, but useful if you do want to upgrade, as your old phone can defray the cost of the new phone.

Neither of these is a particularly compelling reason for an upgrade for me. A faster phone with more storage in the 4-equivalent screen size would be an appealing reason eventually, but there don't seem to be compelling options in that direction.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Some key tinfoil-hat-ridiculing facts:

1. The fingerprint does not leave the device. It's not in the cloud, on some server somewhere, or anywhere but the phone.

2. It's completely optional. Feel free to enter a passcode and type in your Apple ID password each time they're needed instead.

3. You can add multiple fingerprints so that other people you trust can use it the same way. There's no personalization at this time, but there can be multiple people added.

:D that is why I put smiles in my post :D but that is how it starts, baby steps...five years from now...hey the data is there, lets use it for X. Like that motion tech that pauses your videos if you are not watching it, now is going to be used to make sure employees watch training videos or focusing on their screens.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
How is Apple going to get the data out of that dedicated chip in five years? They'd need to physically take your phone from you and break into it.

:-S iPhone 6 maybe 7 - as a side tin foil hat note, NSA Built Back Door In All Windows Software by 1999 - odds are they are doing it with other companies and this was before 9/11!

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
as a side tin foil hat note, NSA Built Back Door In All Windows Software by 1999 - odds are they are doing it with other companies and this was before 9/11!

I would prefer we refrain from such assertions on this site unless it is supported by reputable sources. Otherwise, we're in the realm of semi-political fearmongering, rather than technical facts.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I would prefer we refrain from such assertions on this site unless it is supported by reputable sources. Otherwise, we're in the realm of semi-political fearmongering, rather than technical facts.

Did say it was a tin foil hat side note :cool: but it is the _NSAKEY -- Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSAKEY and Time story: Microsoft’s Response to NSA Backdoor Allegations: It’s Not True. It’s Also Complicated. We Can’t Explain It, but We Wish We Could.

http://techland.time.com/2013/07/12...xplain-it-but-we-wish-we-could/#ixzz2ehR09fuC.

I apologize and will move on. :blush:

Janx

Hero

Yay!

A) whatever happened to taking somebody at their word (even corporations)

B) deal with a lie when the lie is discovered and sue their pants off for false advertising, etc instead of assuming they're lying from the get go

Remove ads