• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

iPod, Zen Xtra or Dell DJ?

Sam

First Post
I'm looking for personal feedback here on people's experiences with either the Apple iPod or the Creative Labs Zen Xtra (both are hard-drive based mp3 jukeboxes). I'm going to be using the player in conjunction with a windows based PC. I know that the iPod is more expensive, but have heard (mostly on Amazon's reviews) some bad things about the durability of the Zen Xtra.

Anyone have (either or both) of these devices? Care to share your experiences? Thanks.

Last edited:

guedo79

Explorer
Ipods don't have removable batteries. So once the batteries are worn down which all batteries do eventually, they can't be replaced. So after a few years it will stop charging and you have to buy a new ipod.

Can't say I know much of the Zen Xtra but hopefully it has a removable power source.

Tallok

First Post
guedo79 said:
Ipods don't have removable batteries. So once the batteries are worn down which all batteries do eventually, they can't be replaced. So after a few years it will stop charging and you have to buy a new ipod.

Can't say I know much of the Zen Xtra but hopefully it has a removable power source.
they can be replaced, it's just expensive.

Sam

First Post
Camarath said:
My brother has a Zen Xtra which he likes.
How long has he had it? The reviews on Amazon lead one to believe that they start having problems after a few months.

I've got a Nomad Jukebox (one of the original models), and it's not working anymore. I'm leaning towards the iPod because of Apple's reputation for engineering and service. Just looking for some personal experiences.

luckystrike23

First Post
the ipod batteries do eventually run out (as all batteries do) and it is a lil pricey to replace them, although lower than it was originally. After some press on the lifespan of the batteries Apple lowered to battery replacement fee to around $100. They also included battery coverage on the service plan that they sell for iPod, which runs around $50.

That said, i love my ipod and have had no problems with it ever. its simple to use, holds tons of music.

Also Alpine is releasing a car head unit this summer specifically designed to connect to, control and charge iPods giving you complete access to your playlists and libraries through the stereo face controls.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Sam said:
How long has he had it? The reviews on Amazon lead one to believe that they start having problems after a few months.
He has had his 40GB Zen Xtra about six months and has not had any porblem so far. He does keep it in it's protective portable case.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Why buy when you can diy.

I'm currently building a boomblaster with the YAMPP-3/U rev. D, this wonderful little thing can address up to 137 Gb 2½" HDD (128 real Gb) works on any powersupply from 3.3 to 15 volts making it ideal for automotive and portable application. Uses a Nokia 3310 display or similar. But you can read all about that on the webpage above.

Other prelimenary stats for my boomblaster, 2-step digital amp with 4 or 16 watt RMS output (equals 25/100 automotive or 300/1000 'computer' watts). 2 10" proffesional fullrange (Eminence) speakers of 99 db/watt sensitivity. Total SPL (sound pressure level) @ 16 watt: 111 db @ 1 meter range (about the sound pressure of a normal rock concert in front of the stage).

Running on a standard seal lead acid battery (car start up type) of 55 amps gives around 120 hours of continiuos play in 4 watt mode.

Mail me for further details on the boomblaster version. :)

Last edited:

Dire Wolf

First Post
Well, I have had my iPod since Christmas. I know about the battery problem and I am not looking forward to dealing with it, but otherwise I love it. The controls are very easy to use and there is just something really cool about carrying your whole CD collection in your pocket.

I can't compare to other players, but I definitely love my iPod.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads