• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

iPod, Zen Xtra or Dell DJ?

Sam

First Post
AGGEMAM said:
Why buy when you can diy.

I'm currently building a boomblaster with the YAMPP-3/U rev. D, this wonderful little thing can address up to 137 Gb 2½" HDD (128 real Gb) works on any powersupply from 3.3 to 12 volts making it ideal for automotive and portable application. Uses a Nokia 3310 display or similar. But you can read all about that on the webpage above.
I'm coming off of using a Nomad Jukebox. That is just a bit too big for me. I want something small that can fit in a suit jacket inside pocket and not look very bulky. I didn't look around very much on the site referenced above, but it seems that size isn't the primary concern here.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Sam said:
I'm coming off of using a Nomad Jukebox. That is just a bit too big for me. I want something small that can fit in a suit jacket inside pocket and not look very bulky. I didn't look around very much on the site referenced above, but it seems that size isn't the primary concern here.

No I guess you didn't look around that much. It's actully smaller than both the Ipod and the Zen, if you run it on two Cell phone batteries.

It can be built the size of a 2½" HDD a little extra space for batteries and display and keys. The nearest standard electronics box that it will fit into is 1" H x 2 3/4" W x 4" D (which is excately the size of the Ipod and the Zen). And the real kicker here is that you change the programming of the device to fit your needs the most.

Here a picture of the version that uses flashcard instead of 2½" HDD, so you know what kind of size we are talking about. (It says Nokia because it uses a Nokia 3310 diplay not because it really is a Nokia).

yampp7_boxh_l.jpg

Last edited:

Numion

First Post
luckystrike23 said:
That said, i love my ipod and have had no problems with it ever. its simple to use, holds tons of music.

Is it easy to transfer data from your computer to the iPod? Can you transfer any MP3 files on your comp into it?

luckystrike23

First Post
Numion said:
Is it easy to transfer data from your computer to the iPod? Can you transfer any MP3 files on your comp into it?

very east to transfer data, either manaually or automaticallly upon connection. and yes any mp3 files on my computer. the only beef i have is that i can only load the music flies from one computer. the ipod can store music from another computer in hard drive mode, but it cannot be added to the playable library of music. not a huge victory in apple's 'don't steal music' war, but a minor one.

Note: i use my ipod on a windows computer i don't know if this all goes for macs

Sam

First Post
Update

Not sure if anyone really cares about my decision process, but just in case anyone does:

I've heard some bad things about Creative's customer support, the failure rate on the headphone jack and the shoddy construction of the Nomad Zen Xtra, so I'm shying away from that. I liked the price, the capacity and the interface on the Zen, but if it's going to break in a few months that stuff all doesn't mean that much.

So I started taking a hard look at the iPod. They are engineered great. If there are problems with them, Apple seems very committed to making things right. They're just really expensive compared to the others. Also, unless you have a firewire card in your PC, you need to buy a iPod to USB cable for another $20.

There's also a good article in today's New York Times Circut's section about the iPod competitors: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/12/technology/circuits/12stat.html
[Note: Site is free but registration at New York Times is required]

So now I'm investigating the Dell DJ unit. I still like the iPod but don't want to spend $420 for something that I can get the same functionality on for $250.

More to follow as I figure this out.

Anyone have any experience with the Dell DJ?

Numion

First Post
luckystrike23 said:
very east to transfer data, either manaually or automaticallly upon connection. and yes any mp3 files on my computer. the only beef i have is that i can only load the music flies from one computer. the ipod can store music from another computer in hard drive mode, but it cannot be added to the playable library of music. not a huge victory in apple's 'don't steal music' war, but a minor one.

So .. you can use it as a 10-40 GB portable HD also? Very nice. What would stop you from transporting a mass of files from a friends computer to your computer, via the iPod, and then load them into the iPod playlist?

I'm intrigued. This far when I've transferred a lot of data from friends computer, I've taken my internal 120 GB HD to my friends' . iPod could solve that problem as well.

Aeolius

Adventurer
AGGEMAM said:
That depends on where you live!!! Here it's illegal to void warranty on those grounds.

Then don't buy one with an extended warranty ;)

Granted, I always get CompUSA's extended warranty because they will give me a new iPod if I drop mine. I get the warranty on keyboards, as well, so that I can get new ones to replace the ones I spill coffee and beer into.

luckystrike23

First Post
Numion said:
So .. you can use it as a 10-40 GB portable HD also? Very nice. What would stop you from transporting a mass of files from a friends computer to your computer, via the iPod, and then load them into the iPod playlist?

I'm intrigued. This far when I've transferred a lot of data from friends computer, I've taken my internal 120 GB HD to my friends' . iPod could solve that problem as well.

yes it works exactly like that, and nothing can stop you from doin that with your music. i evem have a flash card reader for my ipod for when i take my digital camera on road trips. beats luggin a laptop around.

interesting ipod note, if you watch the extras in the LOTR:pt 2 dvd you see that the movie was screened for peter jackson by transporting finished sequences on ipods.

Remove ads