• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iport a 4E character into a VTT?

talwynor

First Post
There is a utilty on the Four Ugly Monsters site that allows you to import a character into Fantasygrounds II. I haven't used it yet, but I'll try to find the link.

azhrei_fje

First Post
The d20Pro product is written in Java, so it should run on whatever platform you're using.
Oh, I'll have to take a look-see then. Thanks for that info.

Since you've got ties to the MapTool team, we'd be happy to talk to them about feeding Hero Lab output into their tool as well. So please feel free to have them contact us if they're interested.
I don't really believe that's in your best interest just yet. The MapTool UI is going to evolve drastically in the 1.4 series -- we're currently working to finalize 1.3 so that users will have a stable base to use for their games while the "bleeding edge" 1.4 is developed. That means that any information we provide now for ways to import data could change and you've told me before that there are really just two dedicated C++ programmers working on HL, so it's a bit premature...

However, the token format is just s ZIP file with various pieces embedded in it. For a token that means a image file (called an 'asset') and an XML file that describe various statistics about the token such as name, (x,y) position, and so on. The biggest issue is that because MapTool isn't D&D-specific there are no predefined names for those statistics I mentioned (I've used it to play backgammon and checkers and once card decks are implemented a lot of other games will be possible). For example, there could be a field called "BAB" to represent base attack bonus while another campaign could use the field "AB" for the same thing.

This is hugely flexible, but can be a bit overwhelming for someone new to the tool who's expecting to just load up the "D&D settings file" and be off and running.

In another 4-5 months I'm hoping to have a plugin system available for extending MapTool easily with just small snippets of Java code, eventually allowing those plugins to be written in JavaScript (support for JS macros is on the horizon).

Thanks for the offer of integration help and I'll be sure to pass that along to the project founder!

Remove ads