• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IQ to INT equivalent

Kaiyosama

First Post
Presuming that they can be related to each other, you could find this using statistics (I think this works, it's been a while).

Work out a probability model (in the form of a bell curve) for the numbers 3-18 (your possible roles) and then compare to the IQ bell curve. Where the percent probability matches up with the percent of population with this IQ, the stat will match up with an IQ figure.

Lord Rasputin

Explorer
It's worthless, because IQ is worthless (proof to white yuppie parents that little Suzie is sooooo smart), but if you want 3d6 to model a normal IQ distribution (SD 15), you would have Int x 5 + 50.

10 x Int gives you obscene scores ... one in 216 folks having a 180 IQ is pretty funny. I'm shocked so many gamers still rely on that. Mensa takes folks two SDs above the mean (IQ 130), and two SDs of 3d6 is 16.

Dreaddisease

First Post
A friend and I just did the bell curve and came up with 1 out of every 1200 people would have a 18 Int and that is closer to the 160 IQ range instead of the 180. 160 IQ being 1/11,000. I don't necessarily believe in the bell curve method as I tend towards the 1/10 of 1% should have an 18 stat. So in my theory 68% have between 8 - 12/95% 6-14/99.9 4-16 and .1 - 3-18. That would fit closer to the 160 IQ.

BTW 1 in 5 billion people have a 200+ IQ
1 in 3.5 Million 180
1 in 160,000 170
and so on.

Dreaddisease

First Post
agreed on the IQ thing being a white yuppie american blah blah blah. I once had 5 historical relevance questions on an IQ test. Uh.... what if I didn't know what the Bay of Pigs invasion was. On IQ tests including the one they did on fox I have a score of 122 to 175. Also the more IQ tests you take the easier they get and the higher score you get (proven) so does that mean your smarter or cheating?

Dreaddisease said:
agreed on the IQ thing being a white yuppie american blah blah blah. I once had 5 historical relevance questions on an IQ test. Uh.... what if I didn't know what the Bay of Pigs invasion was. On IQ tests including the one they did on fox I have a score of 122 to 175. Also the more IQ tests you take the easier they get and the higher score you get (proven) so does that mean your smarter or cheating?

It'd say it means you're getting used to the questions. I've only taken one IQ test in my life...back when my parents divorced when I was around 3 or 4...the doctors wanted to see the effects of the divorce(since this was around the time they were becoming more common) on a child...so they tested my IQ, and my mother's...don't know what test it was though. My mother, according to that test, has somewhere around a 235...and I ranked in around 185. I've never taken one again, but I definatly would assume the more you take, the higher the number. I just don't think its possible to equate IQ to Int, since IQ is just something that really doesn't seem to work out...while Int is a set number that 'works' in a D&D sense.
:cool:

Dreaddisease

First Post
Both are scalable. The smarter you are the higher they go. I am looking for the probability of finding an 18 INT base in general society considering 1/1200 seems rather common.

Well, it depends on the world your looking at. Are you trying to figure real world stuff? Then yeah, that number's too large...but if you're looking at a campaign world, it could either be too big or too small.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads