(IR) The 3rd IR, Turn 7 (thread 1b)

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
REPLIES TO CREAMSTEAK'S QUESTIONS

Creamsteak

You ruled that I was limited to Attack 3/Defense 3 for Day 0 of turn 7.

ANSWER:

I am reversing my ruling, Creamsteak.
I feel that you are entitled to shelter the people of the United Commonwealth of Toril as a Free Action.
Therefore, you are not limited to Attacks and Defenses of Category 3 or less.

- - -

Am I entitled to declare a full day action?

ANSWER:

If you declare a Category 4 Attack and/or Defense, and/or if you declare you are Holding an Attack, then no. You must settle for a one hour action.
If you declare a Category 3 Attack and/or Defense, and do not Hold your Attack, then yes. You may declare any action that takes up to the entire Turn to accomplish.

- - -

Can I choose to make 24 seperate hour long actions instead of a one day action (with the same cost being implemented)?

ANSWER:

No!
You may take one action that requires one day.
If you substitute a one hour action for your allowed one day action, you only receive one 1-hour action!
NOT a good trade-off.

Last edited:

zouron

First Post
obvious there is no change at all in what I do, still the same in the same amount of time...

edena you can though upgrade the one hours to spand a 1 day instead for larger area if needed....

kaboom

First Post
Warning! Secret plan listed here! Do not copy or metagame!

11th level action: Send all my mages, clerics, and psions back in time to the Arcane Age. They will then spend 10 months doing the following: empowering them to be able to act as 2 powers when using 11th level attack/defenses (as Mr. Draco/ Serpenteye). Then they will go back to the current time.

11th magic 1 hour action for the day:
I begin creating dozens of Mythals over most of my key cities (including Riftcrag and the Labryinth) and around them which have the effect of a heightened Deeper Darkness and Silence that has no effect on the League of Warlords and their allies (Creamsteak and my forces, and if they choose to do so) but effect everyone else.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
A caution to everyone in the IR

CAUTION:

If you have stated you are Holding your Attack, you MAY NOT STATE your Power is undertaking an 11th level action that would require a full day to accomplish (much less an action that would require longer than a day to accomplish.)

You may only state you are undertaking an 11th level action that would require an hour or less to accomplish ... nothing more.

If you have already announced you are Holding your Attack (and most of you have done so), you must abide by this restriction.

- - -

There is a reason for this rule:

When you launch an Attack (Category 1, 2, 3, or 4) and Hold that Attack, it gains 2 Categories in strength per Day held.
Thus, after 5 or 6 Days, you have a massive Attack that can punch through the enemy's Defense, and Disarm the enemy, setting him up for a Coup de Grace.

You SACRIFICE your ability to do this, if you take 11th level actions that require a full day or longer to accomplish.

You are now limited to a Category 1, 2, or 3 Attack only, and it must be launched on the day you prepared it, or called off (and thus wasted.)
You will never advance beyond a Category 3 Attack so long as you continue to perform 11th level actions that require a day or longer to accomplish.

You will never be able to mount an effective Attack, in other words.

However, you can now choose to perform great wonders, or great horrors, with 11th level magic.

Such as restoring all of Oerth to a blue-green world.
Or destroying all of the Red Goo.
Or corrupting all the people of Oerth into evil.
Or turning millions of Torilians into Shade.
Or trying to seize a deity's Portfolio.
Or giving your Player Character a Power Level of 300.
Or giving most of your people all the abilities of the Tarrasque.
Or rearranging the geography of the world of Oerth to suit your tastes.

That is the trade-off, folks.

You can either build an effective Attack, or:
You can perform great wonders and horrors with 11th level magic, using a full day or longer to do so.

You cannot do both.

- - -

Your Defense suffers slightly if you perform actions that require a day or longer with 11th level magic.

You may only declare a Defense of 3 or less, if on that same day you take an action requiring a full day or longer.
You MAY Hold your Defense - indeed, your Defense is AUTOMATICALLY considered to be Held, from Day to Day.
Unless it is discharged by an Attack, which automatically resets your Defense to Category 0, your Defense continues to build in strength each Day.

However, your Defense is one Category weaker - it builds up as a 3, then 5, then 7, then 9, etc.
It will not build up as a 4, then 6, then 8, then 10, etc.
There is no way to restrengthen your Defense. You must discharge the Defense voluntarily - wasting it, or it must be discharged by an Attack, before you can restart a full Category 4 Defense.

A small price to pay for being able to perform full day actions with 11th level magic, that your Defense is lessened by one Category.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
TO KABOOM

Kaboom posted:

Warning! Secret plan listed here! Do not copy or metagame!

11th level action: Send all my mages, clerics, and psions back in time to the Arcane Age. They will then spend 10 months doing the following: empowering them to be able to act as 2 powers when using 11th level attack/defenses (as Mr. Draco/ Serpenteye). Then they will go back to the current time.

ANSWER:

I have been required to copy this.
Kaboom, this will not work.
Alzem has Isles of Hope on both Toril and Oerth, and I have denied even him the right to double-up, as it were, his Attacks and Defenses.

I am allowing Mr. Draco and Serpenteye to do so for the very good reason that they sacrificed very heavily for the duration of the entire IR to obtain 11th level magic.
They legitimately obtained 11th level magic for their Power, taking extreme risks to do so.
Also, the fact they can double up adds balance to the scenario, making for greater challenge.

Therefore they are an exception that cannot be duplicated.

HOWEVER ... (DM chuckles evilly)

Kaboom, you are perfectly free to invite the Arcane Age Powers to come forward in time to help you.
In that way, you could gain doubled Attack Power, or trebled Attack Power, or quadrupled Attack Power.

Unfortunately, if you can pull that stunt, so can everyone else.

You would not want to see the messy consequences of everyone pulling Powers from the past into the present, to aid in the current war.

As an example of just HOW messy that would be ... well now, I am running Acererak.
Acererak could go back in time, all the way to the time when the Elder Ones ran things, and he could open a Gate for them to come forward in time, and they would come, and ...

Or, the United Commonwealth of Toril could go back in time 40 years, and summon ITSELF to come forward in time ... thus there would be 2 United Commonwealths, and 2 Forresters, and 2 Erika Lesages, and Ian Payne would looking at his own grave, and perhaps even considering resurrecting himself, and ...

It worked on Pern, for the Dragonwehrs and Dragonriders, but I do not think it would work so well in this IR.

I think we'll stick with everyone having a single Attack and Defense, with Mr. Draco and Serpenteye being an exception. :)

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
Edena,

I posted my action (page 1). By "You can immediately begin growing a forest over an area the size of the Union of Oerth" what does that translate to.

Does it grow one sappling every few feet immediately and the forest will take a few months to gestate?

Does it grow one small tree every few feet immediately and the forest will take a few weeks to reach full size?

Does it grow one medium sized tree every few feet immediately and the forest will take a few days to bloom?

If I concentrate the energy into just the League and Delrune, does it grow the forest completely?

I have questions about a few other options listed for casting.

If I wanted to make a large floating city, rather than many small ones, how long would it take to create a city the size of:

Any S Territory
Any M Territory
Any L Territory
Any LL Territory
Two LL Territories
Six LL Territories
The Size of The League of Warlords and Countries of Delrune combined
The Size of all the Union of Oerth territories

Last edited:

My one hour action:

You can raise dozens Flying Cities, each of which will have spelljamming abilities, plus teleport without error and worldwalk abilities, plus a dozen 9th level abilities of your choice.

I want to to raise one GIANT city- City Of Shade reborn, is it okay?

Gurdjieff

First Post
Project Epiphany

Edena,
I'll be mailing you in a few minutes with the exact details of this project. The Emerald Order will give this FIRST PRIORITY. It contains my 11th lvl plans as well, yet with a few questions which I think are quite important at the moment.

Remove ads