• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iron DM 2009 - FINAL MATCH - it's over!

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Hey, from a non american gamer POW : what's Iron DM about ?

From previous posts I gathered that it nvolved GMing a lot at the expense of sleep, but aside from that ?

sorry for the newbie question.

Wicht

Hero

From previous posts I gathered that it nvolved GMing a lot at the expense of sleep, but aside from that ?

sorry for the newbie question.

Iron DM, as played here, involves the judge giving each participant in a round a list of ingredients. The participants must then devise an adventure summary/outline that utilizes all the ingredients. The adventure summary the judge likes best wins.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
A brutal test of story-spinning creativity in the face of harsh time constraints... basically what Stereofm said.

IMHO it's most useful to look at past matches: http://www.aquerra.com/IRON_DM/main_archive.htm

Im going to have to bow out. Just found out I have to work out of town for a week. Sorry about that.
No worries, and thanks for the notice. Hope to see you next time.

Cheers, -- N

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I was just thinking about how many different Food Network competition shows could be made into interesting D&D contests.

DM vs. City: This contest pits two DMs from a random city, against two DMs from the Rat Bastard DM group. Each team completes a series of challenges designed to prove once and for all which team rules the town. These challenges are designed to test a DMs ability to run a fair and entertaining game...things like, "In twenty words or less, resolve this conflict between two players" or "write a riddle that has 'ink' as its answer."

Chopped: A game for 4 DMs, played in three rounds: Magic Item, Monster, and Adventure. Each round has its own list of ingredients, and the DMs must create a unique magic item (or monster, or adventure) using those ingredients. One DM is chopped after each round, until only one remains.

RBDM Challenge: <Ingredient>: Like Iron DM, except there is only one incredibly difficult ingredient and all applicants compete at once and a single winner is chosen from all.

Ace of Dungeons: a glorified art contest, where DMs submit their most awesome, most kickass custom maps and terrain for a particular setting.

I'm sure there are more...

Pour

First Post
Haha I like those ideas, Clever.

Quick, and perhaps dumb, question. Are we designing with 4e, including skill challenges and such?

Wicht

Hero
Edition-neutral. Feel free to design for 3.x or 4e or Pathfinder, though, if one of those tickles your fancy.

I was looking through my past contests yesterday and in a prior event between me and Wulf, Wulf turned in a D20 modern adventure (which won).

Personally, I can't even speak 4ese, so I'll be sticking to d20 systems I am much more familiar with. Design for what you know and love.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads