Iron DM 2023 Scheduling Thread

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
These word count limits have been in place for a while, so you can always look back at past entries from the last six or seven years to get a sense. In general, the words fly by quicker than you might think!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
A slight adjustment to the proceedings: @Radiating Gnome, a venerable Iron DM judge and gnome of refinement and taste, has stepped up to join the judging circle, leaving @Iron Sky open to join the competition as a contestant! This leaves us with five slots... who else is ready and willing to step up? @not-so-newguy? @Whizbang Dustyboots? Ready to toss your hats in the ring?
What is the timing of the competition? Does it happen on weekends or weekdays? Does it overlap with Thanksgiving in the US?

Gradine

What is the timing of the competition? Does it happen on weekends or weekdays? Does it overlap with Thanksgiving in the US?
Timing is based entirely on the preferences of the competitors; rounds are 24 to 48 hours, and we schedule each match by coordinating with the competitors' timelines. I'd love to complete the competition as a whole before Thanksgiving week (roughly 3-4 weeks is a standard timeline for a competition, but it can be longer), but if it stretches that long we can absolutely take a break as necessary (I'm sure our judges might appreciate one as well!)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Timing is based entirely on the preferences of the competitors; rounds are 24 to 48 hours, and we schedule each match by coordinating with the competitors' timelines. I'd love to complete the competition as a whole before Thanksgiving week (roughly 3-4 weeks is a standard timeline for a competition, but it can be longer), but if it stretches that long we can absolutely take a break as necessary (I'm sure our judges might appreciate one as well!)
I am interested in this, but my work schedule is such that I have unpredictable "drop everything" commitments that tie me up for days -- in rare cases weeks -- and I don't want to bork the whole competition if this happens. It's not likely to -- things slow down for me in general from November through early January -- but like I said, unpredictable.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I s'pose I will offer my services to write something somewhat coherent, if overly concerned with the things I enjoy as opposed to the things that make for winning entries..... if you need another person.

However, to the extent that the contest takes a while, please note that I will be out of pocket completely from December 24 - January 7.

Gradine

I am interested in this, but my work schedule is such that I have unpredictable "drop everything" commitments that tie me up for days -- in rare cases weeks -- and I don't want to bork the whole competition if this happens. It's not likely to -- things slow down for me in general from November through early January -- but like I said, unpredictable.
Completely understandable! I get your apprehension. We try to be as flexible as possible, but if you'd prefer we could also put you down as an alternate (in case something drags away somebody else!)
I s'pose I will offer my services to write something somewhat coherent, if overly concerned with the things I enjoy as opposed to the things that make for winning entries..... if you need another person.
You can joke all you want but you've managed to knock out a defending champion* before, and that's not nothing.
*Not that I'm still bitter about it... :p
However, to the extent that the contest takes a while, please note that I will be out of pocket completely from December 24 - January 7.
If this tournament lasts long enough to hit Christmas I will livestream myself eating an entire pineapple pizza.

Remove ads