[IRON DM] Spring 2004 Contest Thread FINAL JUDGMENT POSTED, CHAMPION ANNOUNCED!

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Enkhidu said:
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later: I just never figured that my defeat would be so, well, sound.

I went back and read Zappo's entry the morning after I posted, and I was blown away. He not only covered all the bases, but he did it in a way that would be fun for the PCs. Congrats, man! As for my own entry, I think that if I had given it another read through I might have caught the fact that I didn't do a good job of giving the PCs enough "hook" for the adventure - maybe if I had corrected that I might've given Zappo a better run for his money (though I'm fairly sire I still would have lost). At least then I might have been able to find the pants that Zappo beat off me.

Anyhoo, I guess I can't really be disappointed this was my 10th(?) overall entry in Iron DM and my first loss. Oh well, I guess the Vaxalon-like streak is over.

Have fun, guys!

I feel certain we'll see you kicking ass again in future tournaments. Next time, round about sign-up time, start pumping your entire family full of vitamins to stave off any distractions. ;)

I would also like to take this particular moment to thank all the competitors thus far for a very polite and non-contentious tourney. I don't know whether that is due to the quality of my judging or the fact that I'm not on the other side of it. :]

At any rate, thanks everyone-- now for the homestretch!

Wulf

Zappo

Explorer
OooOOoOOOOOoohh! I'm... well, let's just say that facing Enkhidu already was a high honor for me. I have read some of his other entries, and I am certain that without distractions, or with some other ingredients... with different conditions, the outcome would likely have been different.

Ongoing Campaign was immediately evident as this round's bugger. How can you fit an "ongoing campaign" in a short adventure? No idea, and I wasn't surprised to see that Enkhidu struggled with it as well. In the end, it went into the background - I tied it to the adventure through the rumors, and by making the story "a part of an ongoing campaign": the PCs can be involved with the fight both before and/or after the adventure takes place. It is quite relevant but not in a here-and-now sense. It wasn't a strong use, but it was the best I could do.

Luckily, I got a solid idea right away for the Hivemind, which also was flexible enough to combine almost all of the remaining ingredients and still leave some room for PCs messing around with the plot. When some synapses somewhere flashed and got me the idea of spreading the disease through conversation, I knew that I had found a good point of strength. I'm rather proud of that idea (didn't realize that I could use the descriptors, though).

I was already thinking of setting the story in a democracy, so as to make the Forum more relevant, but this would allow me to tie it very nicely to the hivemind disease. So these two ingredients were very well settled.

The rest of the ingredients were floating around in my head by now. I felt that a troll being part of the hivemind provided the hook to make him clever; unfortunately, being part of this hivemind also means that you don't have much of a personality. The lack of personality is what makes the whole thing creepy during the first two days, I couldn't ignore it just to make the troll more interesting. Since it is a well-known fact that all hiveminds must sooner or later try to persuade the hero that they are actually a good idea after all, I decided to have the troll be the hivemind's representative.

Similarly, I knew fairly soon that I would use the sticky thread somewhere in an Alien-style dungeon. At some point I also made it into a bioweapon to "give the PCs a better view of it", as they say. Setting it as an ambush also made the troll a bit more clever. I decided immediately that the game day would be related to hunting, and I managed to stick it into the plot and give the PCs a secondary objective as well.

By this time, I had a broad outline of the plot. I didn't forget about the troll's regeneration, but I was unable to find a solid way to use it without making it seem forced. But you know what the really tough part was?

Timing. I had to calibrate the hivemind mechanics so that they would actually result in exactly what I wanted. What I wanted was the disease to take over more than half of the soldiers in exactly three days, making sure to give the PCs enough time to stop it but not so much time that they could actually just cast cure disease on everyone. I wanted to make the progress of the disease creepy but not immediately threatening. And I wanted mutated monsters. Figuring the exact numbers for the DC and "Intelligence loss" as well as the various stages of the disease wasn't exactly immediate. I was forced to place the mutation as something that could or could not happen, because if I set a fixed time for it then I would have been unable to explain why these orcs weren't already mutated by the time they were captured. Similarly, I wanted to make the spreading of the disease much more of a problem within the Forum (people who contract it within the Forum will still be OK for at least two days, way more than enough for the PCs to solve the problem), but there was no way to do it without messing with the entire timeline.

The second hard bit was how to make the hivemind defeatable. I mean, have you seen body snatchers? D&D hero or not, how can you defeat that? So I made it hierarchical, thus giving it a "design flaw" which was very plausible. It still wasn't enough, why wouldn't it just wait until the entire city was dominated? Even better, why wouldn't it stay quiet and infest the entire world? The answer: this hivemind was made from the minds of orcs. They are stupid. They like violence. They don't plan too much. There's the solution.

And it worked. Not only, but I got to use quotes from System Shock 2. :D
Enkhidu had a more original use of the hivemind, though, plus witty inside jokes, and a better troll. A good entry by any standard, and a good match. Thanks Enkhidu, thanks Wulf. Whatever the result of the final match, I already feel in the heavens above.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH!
Nemmerle vs Zappo

Ingredients:
Mind's Eye
Iron Warriors
Shoe Horn
Defeated Champion
Devil in the Details
Unforgivable Oversight

There they are, a set of ingredients befitting Championship calibre competitors.

I do not feel comfortable presenting (or judging) the usual "bonus" ingredients; however, I will state that for this round, in particular, pandering to the judge is encouraged, and may be considered the tie-breaker. However, as with the usual bonus ingredients, a poor, inept, or unskilled performance here may be penalized.

For the record, this judge likes verisimilitude, low-magic, and grim and gritty. If you feel comfortable incorporating these "meta" thematic elements into your entry, and you do it well, you will be rewarded.

Good luck.

Wulf

Enkhidu

Explorer
Zappo said:
...OooOOoOOOOOoohh! I'm... well, let's just say that facing Enkhidu already was a high honor for me. I have read some of his other entries, and I am certain that without distractions, or with some other ingredients... with different conditions, the outcome would likely have been different...

Don't you bet on it, Zappo, Wulf was right on the money when he said your entry had "the Thing." I don't often find things I want to yoink ideas that I see on ENWorld, but if you continue to crank out ideas like your Hivemind disease (which, with a very few alterations, is going to make an appearance in my next game, probably as the BBEG of the whole firk-danged campaign!), you're going to end up on my list, man.

Now go get 'em! Me? I'm going to go get back to work on the annotated version of me and my buddy's story hour.

And damn you, Wulf, for upping the story hour ante with your SH publishing product! Now we've got ourselves footnoting the entire danged thing because it was such a neat idea!

Last edited:

carpedavid

First Post
Well, I'm fresh off the plane from Vegas, and I see that I managed to wind up a loser on both sides of the Mississippi ;). However, I did have a ton of fun in both cases, so I can't complain much.

Nemm - thanks for your kind words. I, personally, thought it could go either way, and I understand why Wulf judged as he did.

When I first got the list of ingrediants, I had a few flashes of inspiration - namely the keep on the border of the mortal and spirit world, and the queen of the dreamweavers. However, neither of those really gave me much direction in involving the PCs. At that point, I didn't even have a conflict to build an adventure off of.

It wasn't until I finally hit upon the idea of casting death as the "final enemy" that things began to fall into place. Lord Eimin needed a domain to rule over, which led to the Forbidden City of the Dead. That lead to the idea of an oni army, and the desire for conquest, and thus, I finally had a conflict to base the adventure around.

Even then, though, I struggled for a long while, trying to figure out how to integrate the PCs. Regrettably, it wasn't until an hour or two before the entry was due that I actually managed to figure that out, so it ended up being less substantive than I typically like my adventures.

Best of luck to both competitors in the final round (though I'll rooting for Nemm, so that I can say I lost to the Iron DM :)).

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Enkhidu said:
And damn you, Wulf, for upping the story hour ante with your SH publishing product! Now we've got ourselves footnoting the entire danged thing because it was such a neat idea!

Piratecat is log-jamming everybody else. I have to do him first, to prove the concept, so until he takes it on seriously, the rest of you just get to play catch-up...

Wulf

Enkhidu

Explorer
Wulf Ratbane said:
Piratecat is log-jamming everybody else. I have to do him first, to prove the concept, so until he takes it on seriously, the rest of you just get to play catch-up...

Wulf

Hey Wulf, I'd like to talk further about this, but in order to not clutter the rest of the thread can you email me at steve at leaman dot us? Not .com but .us.

Zappo

Explorer
Mind's Eye: the revealing artefact, related to the mind and to seeing the truth.

Iron Warriors: the mercenary company, bearing this name to honor the Iron God and as a sign of their heavy-armored combat style. Also, the iron statues of the temple, which Dunukai will animate for the final battle.

Shoe Horn: the way Karlith was placed in command. Also, the item which triggers Baridon’s awakening from his state of denial.

Defeated Champion: Baridon at first. Champion of his faction, and defeated. At the end, Daneth is the defeated champion instead: in the fight with Baridon, he is clearly inferior.

Devil in the Details: Dunukai. He is “in the details” metaphorically in his way of manipulating events, but he also is almost literally in the corrupted details of the Temple.

Unforgivable Oversight: there are two, both on Daneth’s side. The first is his oversight of the Temple. His overzealousness, culminating in his striking the worker, is unforgiven by his God, which strips him of his paladin status. The second is not reading the entire book, and therefore not knowing the hidden power of the Mind’s Eye. If he had, in his pride he may have decided to use it – and this would have ended the problem there and then.

IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER

A D&D adventure for low-level, good-aligned parties.

BACKGROUND

The adventure is set in Vanadon, a small, isolationist theocracy, dedicated to the worship of the lawful good-aligned God of Righteous Warfare, also known as the Iron God, or simply “the God” to the monotheistic folk of this place. The DM may substitute this place and religion with any similar concepts in his campaign; monotheism is not a requirement but a dominance of a good battle-related deity is. For example, Dragonlance’s Kiri-Jolith. The adventure begins with the PCs arriving to the capital city Xanaria for any reason; they may be just passing through, or visiting a friend, or be summoned by someone who disagrees with the current regime.

Some years ago, disagreements about interpretation of certain passages of the scriptures escalated in a full-scale conflict. The riots culminated in the destruction of the Great Temple in the capitol city Xanaria one year ago. After the disaster, both factions agreed to settle the dispute with a duel between their respective leaders: the paladins Daneth, second-in-command to the High Priest, and Baridon, governor of Greenhill Castle.

The two champions met on the field of battle, and Baridon told Daneth that he was ready to negotiate their differences. Daneth rejected the offer and drew steel. The duel was long but in the end Baridon was defeated. Daneth declared that the Iron God had granted him victory in honorable battle, therefore proving the righteousness of his faction beyond a shadow of doubt. He went on to become High Priest, tightening Vanadon’s fundamentalist law under the conviction that he could do no wrong.

The defeated Baridon, instead, healed up and returned home to where his pregnant wife waited for him. There, he found that an early birth followed by tragic complications robbed him of both his woman and his future son. Devastated by pain, he left the castle without saying a word, and was never seen again. Government of Greenhill was hastily shoehorned on Baridon’s young nephew and only heir Karlith, who never thought he would actually have to govern, and was unready and unfit to command. Despite his good intentions, and because of lingering hostility from the church’s central government, Greenhill’s economy almost collapsed in just months.

A DEVILISH PLAN

Dunukai is the name of an ancient, evil fiend-god who has been opposing the Iron God for eons untold. His ways are treachery and corruption, and his schemes span millennia. Lacking the power of affecting the material plane directly, he has influenced the minds of mortals for thousands of years (as per suggestion), setting up small details that never made the history books but yet are about to culminate in the destruction of the God’s church.

A thousand ago, Dunukai has influenced translators and scribes to plant key divergences in holy texts. A century ago, he has maneuvered politicians worldwide to create the right circumstances later. A decade ago, he has seen these actions come to fruition as the holy war ignited. A year ago, he was nudging Daneth’s mind to rage against Baridon, while planting exactly the wrong suggestions in a midwife at Greenhill castle.

And, just ten days ago, he made sure to let his unwitting champion Daneth know about a certain artefact called the Mind’s Eye, which could allow him to see into the minds and hearts of men, enabling him to spot evildoers and those of weak faith in the entire Xanaria. Yesterday, a group of templars has returned from a dangerous mission and has delivered the Mind’s Eye to the High Priest.

But today, the PCs come to Xanaria…

OVER THE EDGE

Xanaria looks like a very busy city. Carts and carriages of food and raw materials are hauled around and it looks like there’s some serious building going on. As the PCs wander around, they can learn that right after his election to High Priesthood, the Lord Paladin Daneth has ordered the reconstruction of the Great Temple, hiring thousands of workers for what seems to be the fastest construction ever accomplished. After barely one year, the main structure of the temple is in place and the sculptors, and painters are doing the decorations. The heroes may use Gather Information to find out some less-spoken rumors: Daneth is widely reputed to be a bit overzealous, considering workers as lazy sinners and forcing them to work very hard to speed up the building.

When the PCs reach the Temple plaza, they can see a crowd of people all around a massive building, working on it like so many ants on an anthill. The focus of the attention seem to be a some massive metal statues, depicting the Iron God they worship here, which are being slowly lifted up. The rest of the plaza isn’t lacking activity, either. An armor-clad man on a white horse is riding up and down the construction site.

Suddenly, the man stops not too far from the PCs. They can see that he is holding a shining eye-shaped jade orb in his left hand, and he seems to be concentrating on one of the workers who is currently struggling to pull a rope which is connected through a pulley to one of the statues. Daneth dismounts from the horse with an angered, red-hot face, strides through the crowd towards the man, and shouts: “Blasphemer! THIS is what you think of your God?”. The apparent confusion of the poor folk only makes the paladin more and more angry, but the crowd prevents the PCs from arriving fast enough (if they do somehow intervene, this still doesn’t change Daneth’s fate; it will make him angry at them, though, slightly changing the plot hook). Daneth lifts his armored gauntlet and smashes it into the worker’s face, sending him tumbling down the temple stairs. When he stops, he seems to be severely injured and struggling to stand up. Daneth reaches him and puts his hands over the man’s back. For the briefest moment, someone very observant may notice a look of surprise and horror on his face. Then, he stands up and walks away. The ex-paladin disappears in a crowd of church guards. The people around seem somewhat reluctant to call a healer. Certainly the High Priest must have had a good reason…?

If the heroes move to help the wounded man, whose name is Goram, he will thank them profusely and ask them to follow him into a tavern. There, he explains that the Lord Paladin Daneth has been behaving strangely for the entire day, glaring at people throughout the plaza and generally looking angered. Goram was thinking something on the lines of “If the God wants this temple so bad, why doesn’t He build it Himself?”, but he said not a word. The implications should set in quickly in both the worker and the PCs: Daneth can read minds, and what he’s reading doesn’t please him. Knowledgeable PCs may also suspect that the High Priest has just lost his paladin status.

Goram implores the PCs to leave the city and warn Lord Karlith at Greenhill Castle, a few days from Xanaria. He’s afraid that unless something is done quickly, the capital will become a sort of holy hell for everyone within.

The PCs may decide to stay, Gather Information and do some research now (or they may do it after returning from Greenhill). Daneth no longer shows up at the plaza, and his heralds declared that he was fasting, and meeting noone, until the opening day of the temple. The PCs can find out that Daneth has indeed sent templars to recover an artefact and they have returned just yesterday. People believe that the green orb Daneth is carrying around is that same item. If the PCs want more information on that item, they should visit the library. There, the library keeper is in the middle of fixing a book’s spine. If the PCs ask about artefacts, the keeper tells them that the book he’s working on talks about some of them. Daneth was here ten days ago; he was reading the book and suddenly he let it fall and stormed out. Since the spine broke, it is fairly easy to see what page he was reading: legends about a green, eye-textured orb, called the Mind’s Eye. The Eye allows its wielder to “see” the thoughts of others (detect thoughts always active; it may also reveal memories that are relevant to the moment at hand). Some cryptic hypotheses on the Eye’s location are also given; evidently, either Daneth or his servants must have been able to decipher them. On the next page, it also says that the wizard who crafted the Mind’s Eye activated it by uttering the words “let my eyes see my mind from afar”. This apparently triggered a hidden power of the Eye: enabling the owner to view his own mind from the outside. That is, it showed the wizard’s own thoughts and memories, stripped bare of all the lies and transformed truths that the mind makes up to justify itself. The increased clarity in turn allowed him to better understand what he saw, in a recursive cycle of self-discovery… of which noone knows more, since the wizard apparently went insane and died.

GREENHILL

The burg of Greenhill is located at two days of travel from Xanaria. Despite being relatively large, it is in a dismal state. Many houses have been abandoned, as it is evident that many people have left Greenhill to work on the temple in Xanaria. The inns are empty, criminality is rising, and the overall attitude is bleak. Shortly before arriving, the PCs are attacked by brigands, further demonstrating Karlith’s inability to rule effectively.

From what the heroes can gather, the current governor, Karlith, is good-minded but utterly inept. He’s desperate for the state of his land, but even after the resolution of the conflict, the church has not supported him, knowing full well that he was in power only because there was noone else to put there.

Karlith lives at the Greenhill Castle with a bunch of servants. He’s a very depressed man, bound to his land against his will. When the PCs meet him and explain the situation, he tells them that they must find more information about this new power of Daneth.

If they have already visited the library and read the book, he tells them that they must now go and find his uncle Baridon. Karlith knows where he went, but he never contacted him, recognizing and respecting his state of mind. This, however, is far too important. Baridon has left Vanadon to lead a mercenary army. He called it the Iron Warriors, as a last honor to his god, before renouncing his vows. It is said that the Iron Warriors only fight honorable battles and are some of the most skilled combatants around, but only a very few people know that their leader used to be a paladin. The PCs must travel to his current location – a warring city-state a couple of weeks’ travel from Vanadon – and convince him to return to free Xanaria. Karlith gives the PCs an item, an ivory shoe horn, explaining them that while his wife was pregnant, Baridon used to help her in every action, and every day he would use this shoe horn to help her wear her shoes in the morning and remove them in the evening. Not that it was needed, with the lady’s beautiful and light feet… but, Karlith narrates, it was a small family ritual which may remind Baridon of his past.

If the PCs still don’t know the details about the Mind’s Eye, Karlith tells them that he will contact Baridon while they search Xanaria, or the other way around if they prefer. In the first case, Karlith’s messenger will return empty-handed, unable to persuade Baridon, and the heroes will have to try themselves. In the second case, when the PCs return with Baridon, Karlith will present them with the book and the information.

YOU ARE NEVER DEFEATED AS LONG AS YOU CAN COME BACK

The PCs will eventually reach the Iron Warriors encampment. It seems that the Iron Warriors are an elite unit of heavy cavalry. They are only about a thousand people, but they are extremely well-trained and well-equipped, all wearing full plate armors and horse barding into battle. Several of them are also siege specialists, and the heroes can see several sturdy siege engines in the camp. Baridon may have abandoned his faith, but he never forgot his skills.

The PCs are accompanied to Commander Baridon. As they’ll find out while talking to him, Baridon has a thin sheet of military pragmatism over a deep chasm of self-pitying. He, too, has interpreted his failure and the death of his family as proof that the God has abandoned him. Baridon has never used his paladin powers again and he really doesn’t want to try and fail; he will tell the PCs that he hasn’t had them for a long time, he must have lost them somewhere along the way.

Several factors must be combined to break his inertia. If the PCs remind him of his past, and tell him how bad Karlith is faring, and what Daneth is doing, he will be visibly shaken. When they show him the shoe horn, though, he grabs it from their hands and stares at it for some long moments. When he can’t take it any longer, he becomes enraged, stands up and shouts at the PCs to go away and never come back. But the job is done; even if the PCs do go away, they will be reached after one or two days on the road by the entire Iron Warrior unit, led by a fiery-eyed Baridon, hell-bent on not allowing Daneth to tread all over everything they used to believe.

REVELATIONS

When the PCs return, they discover first of all that Karlith has been arrested by the templars. The church was keeping tabs on him and with the PCs’ involvement, they decided that enough was enough. Secondly, the temple is almost complete.

Baridon’s plan is to attack Xanaria on the day of the temple’s inauguration (attacking by surprise, during the night would be more effective… but that would be unhonorable and he doesn’t want to do that in the city of his God). While his Iron Warriors keep the town defenses busy, he and the PCs will reach the temple. With an army around his city, the soldiers will be busy at the walls, the templars will be busy in the streets, and Daneth will be forced to come out and confront them.

So, Baridon and the party enter the city at dawn, and head to the plaza, where already people are gathering. A few hours later, templar guards run into town, shouting that the city is under attack! As predictable, panic spreads quickly. The templars quickly have their hands full and find that they don’t have the numbers to control the overcrowded Xanarians. They can barely keep them away from the temple proper.

When finally Daneth, in his ceremonial armor, comes out of the temple, demanding to know what’s going on, Baridon gets out of the crowd, pushes aside a couple of templar guards, and loudly reveals himself to an astonished High Priest. The paladin strides on the temple stairs, heading towards Daneth.

As he gets closer, it seems that the sky is darkening. Yet there are no clouds. As Baridon says that he has not come to fight him, but to convince him of the error of his ways, it is clear that Daneth isn’t even listening to him as he draws his sword. There’s a strange, electrical feeling in the air. And a monstrous, massive devilish figure is coalescing in the air above the temple! Daneth shouts “You have brought the evil with you!” and then the fight begin. This time, it’s to the death.

Dunukai is a cunning foe. The PCs need to think quickly and there is a very real possibility that they’ll fail in stopping the fiend. This isn’t the end of the world, but it definitely means the end of Vanadon and the coming of a new major foe in the campaign.

Baridon is clearly superior in battle. He has fought for every neighboring kingdom in the last year, awhile Daneth occupied himself with overseeing the temple’s construction. Even without the PCs’ help (which he’ll vehemently refuse), he outmatches Daneth. But with every hit, the fiend seems to become stronger. If the PCs make him notice this, he stops attacking. Instead, he murmurs a prayer and touches his foe, healing him. While this doesn’t make Dunukai weaker, it does astonish Daneth, who takes several steps backwards before pulling out the Mind’s Eye from a belt pouch and concentrating to use it on Baridon.

The best thing that the PCs can do now is to pronounce the activation formula for the Mind’s Eye. Daneth will freeze, assuming an astonished expression. His pupils dilate and the sword and the jade orb fall from his hands, yet the effect doesn’t seem to be over. Everyone else stares at the enormous fiendish image, watching the scene from high above. Its anger can be felt even though it doesn’t seem to be quite here yet. Baridon seems overwhelmed for a moment, as the Mind’s Eye rolls down the stairs. A will likely grab it (otherwise, Baridon will do it after some rounds) and try to use it. If noone uses the activation formula, the fight resumes but Baridon will not harm Daneth again. The PCs will have to figure out how to stop whatever is going on.

If they use it on Daneth, they will see the mental whirlwind in his head. It’s still too quick, too confused, but they can make out that an external influence caused him to attack Baridon one year ago, to retrieve the Mind’s Eye, and to fight again now. Odd enough, it also suggested him to change some details in the temple schematics. As this knowledge flows toward the PC, the fiend speaks: “It is too late. I can already feel my power coming into the world. Observe my power, mortals!”

With these words, two of the eight massive iron statues of the Iron God come into life (as per animate object; they are Large-sized and have hardness 10)and attack everyone on the temple – Daneth included, who seems to be recovering and is now only stunned (ie, he can’t take actions but he’s not helpless and has no other penalties). Every blow deal to either Daneth or Baridon seems to make the fiend stronger. Worse, the rest of the statues are slowly animating as well.

If a PC uses the Mind’s Eye on the fiend, Dunukai’s plans will be revealed. Everything he did towards this moment, from the corruption of the scriptures to the events that have taken place while the PCs were looking for Baridon. He has directed many people involved in the construction of the Temple, from Daneth to the artists, to change minute details in the structure and in the decorations. A bas-relief which looks like a devilish symbol under the right light. A complex circular grid shape which hides a pentagram. A stone which was carved with the left hand by just the right type of sinner. This and much more, leading the temple to be suitable as the focus for a grand ritual. Which will be completed by the slaying of one of the God’s paladins on the temple ground. And which will finally grant Dunukai physical access to the world, and the freedom to lay waste to Vanadon. After revealing this, the Mind’s Eye shatters, its power destroyed by being used on a deity-level creature.

The tough part of the combat has just begun. The PCs now know several ways to disrupt the ritual. First, they may flee, leading Baridon and Daneth to safety. This will leave the temple as a cursed place, though, where Dunukai is strong enough to animate objects, and the danger of his coming will be ever-present. Or, they may start smashing that particular bas-relief, bending that shape, pulling out a certain stone, and so on. Running around the temple and undoing Dunukai’s work means that the fiend-god will send most of the statues after them. The PCs are probably going to have a very hard time fighting them; besides, the monster is going to animate more objects (even though the statues are the most dangerous). They’d better run away from them and rely on speed to shatter the ritual. The more warped features they destroy, the weaker Dunukai becomes. Until, eventually, with a mighty howl the fiendish form dissipates again and all the animated objects fall to the ground, inert.

When everything is over, Baridon and Daneth, both severely wounded, help each other down the stairs. Once again, there is rebuilding to do, but they have already rebuilt the most important thing: their faith. The Iron Warriors become an elite force of Vanadon’s army; the PCs are praised and rewarded, and Baridon returns to governing Greenhill, with much relief of Karlith.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Final Match: Zappo vs. Nemmerle

What are we going to do tonight, Balzac?

This adventure would probably be best for some 10th+ level characters.

The adventure itself is an old school straightforward dungeon-delve that crosses the path of a powerful wizard humorously bent on world domination. He has been plunged deeper and deeper into insanity by his experiments, exposure to certain artifact and a devil. It is meant to be a kind of humorous adventure, with the wizard Fargus and his devil companion appearing as incompetent villains because of their own idiosyncrasies that play off each other. The adventure has the PCs running across the remains of the many plans the pair brewed to take over the world.

The powerful wizard Fargus began his writing up his plans for world domination decades ago. A perfectionist and obsessive, he wrote out scores and scores of scenarios, following through with consequences, cost projections, available resources, dispensation of other powerful wizards and adventurers, liches, priests, adventurers and planar beings, etc… While following through with this he did a lot of research in previous attempts to rule the world by other maniacal wizards, including combing the planes for beings that might have aided them or learned of them – that is how he drew the attention of a particular devil. The devil (pick one, I could not find an appropriate type within the books I have at my disposal, but he should be moderately powerful, but for the sake of this adventure let’s call him Balzac) presented itself as an expert in the area of world domination (having witnessed and aided in the occurrence on 16 other alternate primes). Fargus consulted the devil more and more while trying to figure our the feasibility and success rate of his various scenarios, until he eventual compacted to have it come and stay with him at his disposal. While the temptation a crazy man is not all that satisfying, the devil has been using his influence to have Fargus adopt a method of world domination that would assure the damnation of the most mortal souls. He really does not care about the long-term success of the plans themselves, but more the resultant strife and moral turpitude of the free-willed peoples of the world in response to the attempt(s).

Occasionally, Fargus and his diabolic companion will begin one of these plans only to abort them when one of more criteria are not met that would satisfy either Fargus’ perfectionist tendencies, or the devil’s desire to condemn a lot of soul’s in the process. Because of this there are various items they created or events they put into motion that still exist out there.

Hooks

-- A member of the party could be cursed by the Boots of the Iron Warrior and investigation has led the party towards Fargus, and they seek out his lair to lift the curse and possibly defeat him. Similarly, they could accompany someone else who has been cursed.

-- The party is hired to retrieve the Mind’s Eye, a powerful ring of illusion that Fargus stole when experimenting with the use of illusions as a means of population control.

-- The party could be hired by a cult of fanatics who keep getting dreams from the godling in Fargus’ basement, or one or more of the party gets the dreams (perhaps the godling is an aspect of one of the PC’s gods).

-- The party could be following up a loose end from an adventure involving cleaning up after Fargus’ previous attempts at world domination.

Fargus’ Keep

This stronghold is subterranean, beneath the ruins of an old church to the sun god atop a tall hill. The area is the lair of a pair of axiomatic dragonnes (CR 9) that Fargus’ summoned as part of an early plan where he’d release monsters on the world and then save everyone from them and be the loved hero and have power slowly ceded to him. The dragonnes are all that remain of this plan, and Balzac was able to convince them stick around and guard the entrance to the dungeon. They will hide atop tall wide ruined walls, and pounce down those who enter the inner portion of the ruin where the entrance is.

The place itself should be laid out to resemble something from those old basic adventure modules that made no sense. The different levels are guarded and lived in by different types of humanoids. Kobolds on the upper-levels, then hobgoblins, then bugbears, etc. . . Each level of the place should have some rooms with cordoned off monsters, in cages or pens that the humanoids will set free and shoo out at the PCs in the narrow corridors. Or with warded and dangerous magical items that need to be guarded. Each group of humanoids will be led by some member(s) of their race with some levels of fighter and with a template slapped on to represent Fargus’ experiments; half-dragon kobold, a fire hobgoblin, a vampire bugbear (with a bunch of bugbears thralls and worshipers and other lower forms of undead).

Scattered throughout the place will be other locked chambers that hold the remnants of previous attempts to take over the world.

The Iron Warriors – One of Fargus’ creations in his plans to take over the world, were cursed iron boots that once put on could not be taken off. These magical boots have different powers, but they all have one thing in common, upon command from Fargus the boots grow to encase the wearer in a full body mask of iron that is stylized to look like some kind of primitive warrior. While encased the person has all the abilities and defenses of an Iron Golem, in addition to whatever abilities they normally have. The idea of the plan was to get a large number of these great warriors to put on the boots and then be forced to work for Fargus – who could would set up the most loyal ones as guardians and rulers of portions of his domain. However, the expense (in both money and XP) was too much to for this idea to be feasible – and the cursed adventurers were not as easy to manipulate as he initially thought – so he had to scrap the idea.

There are still a few of these Iron Warriors left in Fargus’ lair, which he now uses as guards. If he realizes adventurers are invading his home he will activate them. However, they do not always do exactly as he asks – so chaos will reign in the halls of this place, as some killer iron golems seek to escape, others begin to destroy all they can and still others actually obey and hunt down the party. If a member of the party (or someone they find along the way) has been cursed by the boots they will transform as well and begin to get mental commands from Fargus. This works like domination and each round those encased in the iron warrior bodies must make a Will save to maintain freewill.

In one of Fargus’ laboratory he has a team of dwarven and gnomish expert cobblers and metal-smiths as prisoners, who helped him in the creation of the boots. They will be able to give the party the magical shoe horn that allows a cursed individual to remove the boots (or allow someone else to put them on).

The Godling: Deep in the lower levels of Fargus’ lair, can be found a bloody and bruised Celestial. This young god is the defeated champion of a people from an alternate prime, sent to destroy Balzac. However, Balzac and Fargus with the help of his Iron Warriors were able to defeat the celestial (use a powerful type that would about equal to the party’s CR), and captured him in hopes of perhaps using his blood or essence for some future plan for world domination – or one idea was to try to instigate the celestial’s growth towards a more powerful being (the cosmology of this other plane being slightly different) and then have Fargus Magic Jar the thing and use the form to create a religion that would be used to take over the world. This project is on the back-burner, however. In the meantime, the celestial has been able to project dreams and messages to those he thinks would be (or should be) his worshipers on this plane. Note, that the mere existence of this celestial should have been a clue to Fargus that Balzac’s aid in taking over the world is not that reliable, as the celestial rose up and destroyed the tyrant of that alternate prime that Balzac once helped take over. A party that tends to use diplomacy or trickery to accomplish their tasks might use this to create a wedge between wizard and devil. The celestial himself is full of pride, and if rescued will immediately try to “take over” the plan to destroy Balzac (and Fargus). He will condescend to the party.

The Mind’s Eye

In a well-guarded and warded room, Fargus keeps the Mind’s Eye, this ring is a powerful minor artifact was created long ago by an illusionist of great skill. The DM is encouraged to create the item to fit his level of magic for his campaign, but it should certainly be above the standard value of magical items available to characters of their level. It allows the use of a variety of illusion spells – some of the lower level ones at will, but the higher level ones a few times a day. It is called the Mind’s Eye because basically the wearer can create illusions of whatever he can imagine, however, it has a side-effect. The ring also allows the wielder to Detect Thoughts at will and illusions created from things found in the mind of another add a +4 to the DC to disbelieve by that person and their duration is doubled (or the duration they last w/o concentration is doubled). However, the more it is used in this way the more likely it is to create permanent semi-real (shadow) versions of these things that act independently. And as the lines between illusion, reality and the thoughts of others become blurred the wielder is also slowly driven insane. Needless to say, Fargus abandoned the use of this early on, but not before his brain was a bit addled, thus explaining his bizarre personality and obsession.

Devil in the Details

Regardless of what happens in Fargus’ lair, Balzac will be found in the records chamber looking over the reams and reams of paper on which all the details of the various aborted and prospective plans for world domination that Fargus has created can be found. The scene should be a mess of papers, tomes, ink and scrolls, with this short pudgy man sitting among all the details of all the plans, looking disheveled, ink-stained and humming to himself as constantly adjusting his spectacles. He should appear as fairly harmless record-keeper. In fact, it is unlikely he will fight the party unless attacked, otherwise, he will do his best to act like what he appears as, and even help the party look through all the records for whatever information they are looking for. Fargus’ supplies and stock are all carefully recorded and labeled with where they can be found in the complex. Balzac will look at this as an opportunity to gain the souls of some heroes, and will betray Fargus if it looks like the PCs can defeat him. He will explain how there are nearly a dozen results of aborted plans out there in the world that need to be ‘cleaned up’ and even try to put himself in a position where he can guide the party to those places to do the clean up – but really be manipulating them to do what he likes and lead them into situations where they are tempted, or overlook some other mission that needs to be accomplished for good as he sends them after some red herring. He will also inform them to some of the plans that if used “for good” could help bring peace, order and prosperity to the world.

Balzac will also explain that for the party not to study the records in detail and follow-up on all the schemes and plans, would be an unforgivable oversight that could lead to many people being hurt or killed. He will especially emphasize this to any paladins or priests of good gods present.

Fighting Fargus

Fargus is not a fan of fighting his own battles. He should be a conjurer, and perhaps have some levels of some kind of artificer prestige class (and/or lore-master). He will know all the PCs by names (he has extensive records on all heroes of note) and will even cockily describe to them what their likely actions will be. . . He will use charm, domination and summoning as much as possible, along with defensive spells and some contingencies he already has in place. Fargus should come off as more than a little obsessive-compulsive, with physical ticks and strange rituals he must complete before doing certain things.

Conclusions

The defeat of Fargus should just be the beginning for this scenario, as the records and artifacts of his various plans for world domination, and Balzac’s desire to tempt the PCs could lead to more adventures and a common thread that lasts throughout the rest of the campaign, up to epic levels as the PCs can become involved in infernal politics and/or do some plane-hopping to other primes to look for artifacts, or save other worlds from domination.

Review of Ingredients
---------------------------------
Mind's Eye – The ring of illusion Fargus had stolen for one of his world domination attempts.
Iron Warriors – The golem body masks that cover over victims of the cursed iron boots
Shoe Horn - - Used for getting the iron boots on and off
Defeated Champion – The celestial (godling) kept prisoner by Fargus
Devil in the Details – Finding Balzac in the mess of the record room.
Unforgivable Oversight – Ignoring the mess of the remnants of all of Fargus’ previous attempts at taking over the world.

Remove ads