• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iron Heroes: A Saga of Might

Dr Simon

Explorer
The innkeeper makes himself comfortable.

"Stop me if I'm telling you what you already know," he says. "Kurik likes talk almost as much as he likes money.

"You'll note the lack of Lord's castle in Cahli,"
he says. "For a long time, we've had a more powerful defence than men-at-arms; 'our' wizard Tizun Thane. I can still remember how he repelled an Ur-man fleet with his magic.

"About six months ago, two men arrived claiming to be Thane's brothers. They and their entourage went down to Thane's demesne, over in the hills to the south. It wasn't long after, about the first full moon since, that the Night Things first came. What fighting men we had tried to hold them off, but they were killed, or carried off. Since then they've come down to town every full moon. Locked doors and windows keep them out a bit, but we still lose some people every month.

"Men come to town every month, in the daytime, and always at the other end of the month to the Night Things, but we learn nothing from them. They're just bully boys working for the Thane brothers. And then, starting two months ago, we've had the other little winged creatures coming in the night. They're easier to fight off, but they've been known to carry off bairns. And there's no-one left in Cahli who can stop them."

mfloyd3

Explorer
"And you're thinking Cahli needs brave warriors to face down these threats?" Xoria asks, giving the innkeeper an appraising look. "To stride up to the gates of one of the most powerful magicians in the world and call him to account?"

Walking Dad

First Post
Olmar
Defense 14 (FF14), HP 48/48, F +6,R+5,W+5; Ini +2 ; Fury Pool 0/13; DR 1d4

"Bah, more magic!" Olmar responds to Kurik's tale. At second thought he looks at Xoria and shrugs to apologies.
"Can you tell us more about the men that come to town at daytime?"

[sblock=OOC]

----

Reserve Points: 48 / 48

Pick (gripped with both hand and Power attack 1):
1d20+5 - 1d6+6 - 20/x4

In berserker rage:
1d20+6 - 1d6+8 - 20/x4
[/sblock]

Dr Simon

Explorer
The innkeeper gives Xoria a sideways look and then laughs.

"Ha! Well, that sure would be a mighty supposition on my behalf, wouldn't it?" he says. "But you said you were brave people, perhaps you could do it where others have failed? I'm just sayin' this as a man with a wife and three daughters to worry about."

He turns to Olmar.

"These men, they're just men. Rugged-looking, mean and tough, but also ragged, not smart soldiers even though they look like they can handle themselves in a fight. They don't speak much. Old Mother Kea, who runs the general store, sees them the most when they drop in for provisions, buy up about a month's worth at a time. She once asked one what they were doing up at the Halls and he told her to mind her own business. Now I... shhh!"

There is a scratching and a scrabbling at the shutters.

"Night Things," says the innkeeper. "Don't worry, they can't get in." He looks around the inn. "Where's Kira?" he asks one of his two visible daughters.

"She went to get some more wood for the fire, papa," she replies.

Almost on cue, there is a scream from out the back of the inn.

"No!" The innkeeper is already moving towards the backdoor.

Walking Dad

First Post
Olmar
Defense 14 (FF14), HP 48/48, F +6,R+5,W+5; Ini +2 ; Fury Pool 0/13; DR 1d4

Olmar moves instantly with the innkeeper. No more people should loose their families!

[sblock=OOC]

----

Reserve Points: 48 / 48

Pick (gripped with both hand and Power attack 1):
1d20+5 - 1d6+6 - 20/x4

In berserker rage:
1d20+6 - 1d6+8 - 20/x4
[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Vela whirls and dashes to the door, moving with startling speed.

"Keep him back!" she barks, then throws the door open and peers into the darkness to find the girl before it's too late!

Dr Simon

Explorer
Bursting into the innyard, the group sees a young girl in a colourful dress strugging with a small, wizened creature with an evil-favoured flat face, small beady eyes and a round mouth filled with tiny needle-sharp teeth, like a lamprey. It is flapping bat-like wings and the girl's feet have just left the ground.

Vela is first on the scene, followed by Xoria, then Olmar and the innkeeper.

[sblock=OOC]
The above should suggest initiative order - all PCs get to act before the thing does.

Knowledge (arcane) for more info about the creature.
[/sblock]

Remove ads