• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iron Heroes and Magic of Incarnum

zen_hydra

First Post
Post 1:

I have recently bought Magic of Incarnum (but only glanced through it, so far), does anyone think that Iron Heroes and MoI can be combined rather easily.

Not that it really matters too much, because in my campaign the classes from magic of Incanum will be likely be part of an automatic/default set of gestalt classes for a race of nasties. These nasty people are the outcast (fallen) members of the archetypical humanoid first race. All other humanoids are shadows of this race (almost like the Zelazny Amber books), which where created by the Cthuloid first beings created out who had in turn been made by the Creator-Essence from the beginning of time. (as a side note: I am thinking of having the gods in my Mythic Earth campaign either be creations of the Exiled Uber-Race, or have them be the Uber-Race themselves. I am leaning toward the former, because the Uber-Race are likely all going to be gestalt Magic of Incarnum, plus Expanded Psionics Handbooks classes (and using engineered organic weapons and technology),

However, this Exiled Humanoid Master-Race has created many creatures with magic / science (including several servitor races that can potentially take the MoI classes).

So does have anything about it will make it more difficult to adapt than other magic systems?

I would love to hear the thoughts of you good peoples.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post 2:

My thoughts on Iron Heroes were "wow, now I can have fighting classes that are as cool as my magic using classes, and not need magic toys to do so.

I guess I should just get used to it, but the broken record of people saying "Iron Heroes is made for games where the only magic should be hastily constructed and ill balanced..."

If that is your thing, good for you, but it is obvious, by my thread title, that I DO want Magic IN my Sword-fighting.

No where did I mention in my prior posts, that I was going to hand out magic candy bars to every pc Executioner with MoI feats that just "magically" appeared on their character sheet?

If you have nothing useful to add to a thread, you only appear to be trolling when you make remarks that show you never actually bothered to read the earlier posts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post 3:

The alignment connection about Incarnum bothers me somewhat. I am trying to think of four univerally aligned forces that aren't too alignment-flavored.

For example:

Evil = Yin, Negative Energy, Entropy

Good = Yang, Positive Energy, Creation

Chaos = Chaos (itself can be doable in my opinion, just Look at Moorcock's novels), Change

Law = Law (itself can be doable in my opinion, just look at Moorcock's Novels), Order

Any thoughts?

____________________________________________________________ _____

Post 4:

I am wanting to create a Great Race (the first beings of humanoid form, whose vanity has caused them to use their vast powers to create beings more-or-less in their image), these beings, all ageless, are epic (or near epic level) gestalt Magic of Incarnum classes plus something else (usually psionic [XPH]).

I really like the almost completely human (but shorter lived) race from the book, and I think that they would make a great human-collaborator type race. I want all beings that can make use of Incarnum to have some subtle (or not so subtle) form of graft from the Great Race as it is an aspect of being closer to the Universal Creator that the Great Race can control soul-stuff (Incarnum). I want them to have a greatly extended life (rather than a shortened one), do you think this would unbalance the race.

The Great Race members that exist on the campaign world where banished from the rest of their race for heinous crimes. The Great Race loves to tamper-with native life forms and turns them into playthings and monsters. The relatively free humans of the world have adapted there own unique set of abilities to survive in such a brutal world, Psychic powers (I plan on giving the PC's one free feat from the Green Ronin's Psychic Handbook), This will also help me create heroes of legend with only a handful of supernatural abilities.

Thoughts??

____________________________________________________________ _____

Post 5:

I apologize if much of the above seems to be gibberish, but I posted some ideas on the Iron Heroes EZBoards and I have not received much input. I am hoping someone over here can add some thoughts or maybe help me to understand Magic of Incarnum better than I do.

Drowbane

First Post
Dood, I so wanna try a Gestalt Kalashtar Soulknife | Incarnate... with Vow of Poverty, and some of the Kalashtar feats from Races of Eberron...

Khairn

First Post
zen_hydra said:
Post 1:

I have recently bought Magic of Incarnum (but only glanced through it, so far), does anyone think that Iron Heroes and MoI can be combined rather easily.

Personally I do. My impressions is that MoI is far from "high fantasy / magic" and with minimal tweaking would be a good fit for IH.

Another book that I think might work well for you is Chaositech by Malhavoc. Their twisted magic/tech is full of flavor and a great addition to many tech/fantasy settings. At least IMHO.

Post 2:

My thoughts on Iron Heroes were "wow, now I can have fighting classes that are as cool as my magic using classes, and not need magic toys to do so.

I agree with you that magic can be an intregal part of any IH campaign. D&D style magic and magic items will cause almost immediate challenges for the GM and may unbalance things for your players, but with the right amount of flavor and power there is no reason why every player can't have a magic item or 2.

Post 3:

The alignment connection about Incarnum bothers me somewhat. I am trying to think of four univerally aligned forces that aren't too alignment-flavored.

For example:

Evil = Yin, Negative Energy, Entropy

Good = Yang, Positive Energy, Creation

Chaos = Chaos (itself can be doable in my opinion, just Look at Moorcock's novels), Change

Law = Law (itself can be doable in my opinion, just look at Moorcock's Novels), Order

Any thoughts?

Personally I'm trying to do away all together with alignments for MoI.

Post 4:

I am wanting to create a Great Race (the first beings of humanoid form, whose vanity has caused them to use their vast powers to create beings more-or-less in their image), these beings, all ageless, are epic (or near epic level) gestalt Magic of Incarnum classes plus something else (usually psionic [XPH]).

I really like the almost completely human (but shorter lived) race from the book, and I think that they would make a great human-collaborator type race. I want all beings that can make use of Incarnum to have some subtle (or not so subtle) form of graft from the Great Race as it is an aspect of being closer to the Universal Creator that the Great Race can control soul-stuff (Incarnum). I want them to have a greatly extended life (rather than a shortened one), do you think this would unbalance the race.

The Great Race members that exist on the campaign world where banished from the rest of their race for heinous crimes. The Great Race loves to tamper-with native life forms and turns them into playthings and monsters. The relatively free humans of the world have adapted there own unique set of abilities to survive in such a brutal world, Psychic powers (I plan on giving the PC's one free feat from the Green Ronin's Psychic Handbook), This will also help me create heroes of legend with only a handful of supernatural abilities.

2 races that come to mind are the Giants from Diamond Throne and the Dunnedain from LotR's. I'm not saying that either of those races matches what you've written down, but a fall from grace due to the arrogance of either of those races is not hard to imagine. I'll think about this a little more and see if I can put some idea's together for you.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads