• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Iron Heroes] Conjuration Fix

iwatt

First Post
Since it seems that there is a consensus with Conjuration been slighty overpowered in IH, I wanted to ask people what simple fixes they've come up with.

Some Disclaimers first:

- I haven't yet played with the IH rules yet.

- I like that Evocation get's the shaft (artillery mages are boring IMO), so don't tell me to fix it. ;)

- I want to keep demon summoning in some way.

- I like the rules well enough that I don't feel like revamping the whole magic system (though I like the fix using the Elements of Magic, but I don't want to further complicate things for my players).

What are alternatives for summoning to exist but not as the conjuration school. I was thinking along the lines of either creating a Lore Mastery feat (no idea how initially :eek: ) or porting in some ritual systems from some other system (not enough knowledge of third party resources for that :eek: ).

So please, any ideas?

Will

First Post
I've been debating doing magic entirely as some kind of expanded feat mastery thing... I think it'd be cool.

Another option I plan on using is Incantations, from UA. That might work for demon summoning, particularly as a very specific sort of thing.

iwatt

First Post
Will said:
I've been debating doing magic entirely as some kind of expanded feat mastery thing... I think it'd be cool.

Another option I plan on using is Incantations, from UA. That might work for demon summoning, particularly as a very specific sort of thing.

I don't have UA (what does it stand for by the way :eek: ), so could you please elaborate a bit moe on how incantations work please?

Will

First Post
Unearthed Arcana.

Basically, it turns spellcasting into a skill check, with a system for determining the DC and number of rolls. It's an extended ritual taking at least an hour.

But the spells are very very very specific. The sample spells include contact planar ally (I think), which lets you ask a few questions concerning doorways. And only doorways.
Another is a dimensional transport spell. You tell a tale of Asgard... and when the tale is done, you leave the hut you've created or used (I forget which), and find yourself in Asgard.

The spells are very specific, and also have costs (whenever spell is attempted) and penalties (if you flub it).

IMO, it's PERFECT for the sort of big cultist rituals that the heroes must disrupt. Alternately, for the harvest ritual you must perform and enemies want to disrupt.

iwatt

First Post
Will said:
Unearthed Arcana.

Basically, it turns spellcasting into a skill check, with a system for determining the DC and number of rolls. It's an extended ritual taking at least an hour.

But the spells are very very very specific. The sample spells include contact planar ally (I think), which lets you ask a few questions concerning doorways. And only doorways.
Another is a dimensional transport spell. You tell a tale of Asgard... and when the tale is done, you leave the hut you've created or used (I forget which), and find yourself in Asgard.

The spells are very specific, and also have costs (whenever spell is attempted) and penalties (if you flub it).

IMO, it's PERFECT for the sort of big cultist rituals that the heroes must disrupt. Alternately, for the harvest ritual you must perform and enemies want to disrupt.

Thanks....this looks exactly like what I was looking for :D

iwatt said:
Since it seems that there is a consensus with Conjuration been slighty overpowered in IH, I wanted to ask people what simple fixes they've come up with.

Some Disclaimers first:

- I haven't yet played with the IH rules yet.

- I like that Evocation get's the shaft (artillery mages are boring IMO), so don't tell me to fix it. ;)

- I want to keep demon summoning in some way.

- I like the rules well enough that I don't feel like revamping the whole magic system (though I like the fix using the Elements of Magic, but I don't want to further complicate things for my players).

What are alternatives for summoning to exist but not as the conjuration school. I was thinking along the lines of either creating a Lore Mastery feat (no idea how initially :eek: ) or porting in some ritual systems from some other system (not enough knowledge of third party resources for that :eek: ).

So please, any ideas?
Personally, I don´t really like the idea of summoning animals or other "normal" creatures - that´s what a stage magician might do, but then only with small birds and rabbits.

Summoned creatures should be demons/devlis, angels and elementals.
I heard a variant where they used "Astral Constructs" (from the Psionic rules) as creatures to be summoned, that might be a variant to allow "generic" creatures (you could still call them demon or devil and just put a different description to them).

To balance it, I would suggest using HD or better CR - if the CR is above your level, you can´t controlt he summoned creatures and it can act on its own, free will. As long as the caster doesn´t screw up, the creature should have neutral attitude. A Demon might be willing to offer a deal, or just decide to get home...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads