• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iron Heroes - I have it in my hands!

Talgian said:
Also, is there any way to create a useable unarmed character? Not necessarily like the Monk, but, you know, someone who just uses their body as weapons?

If there is, I'm missing it. Seems strange, as you would think that an unarmed bad ass is iconic to IH.

I must be missing it....

EricNoah

Adventurer
If the design's purpose is to remove the need for magic items, then logic suggests that the heroes will have to be more effective in other ways. I'd like to see a D&D character, with appropriate magical gear, stacked up against an IH character with no magical gear and see how the numbers compare.

If nothing else it should make for a very different "flavor" of D&D. In particular, the stunt system should be very helpful. It appears to be set up so it's kind of generic, and the DM has ultimate say as to how it works (which skill check will be used, essentially), but it encourages the player to a) pay attention to surroundings and circumstances, and b) describe clearly what he's going to try to do. I think that will lead to players describing their combat maneuvers more frequently, and that's always a good thing in a role-playing game.

EricNoah said:
If the design's purpose is to remove the need for magic items, then logic suggests that the heroes will have to be more effective in other ways. I'd like to see a D&D character, with appropriate magical gear, stacked up against an IH character with no magical gear and see how the numbers compare.

If nothing else it should make for a very different "flavor" of D&D. In particular, the stunt system should be very helpful. It appears to be set up so it's kind of generic, and the DM has ultimate say as to how it works (which skill check will be used, essentially), but it encourages the player to a) pay attention to surroundings and circumstances, and b) describe clearly what he's going to try to do. I think that will lead to players describing their combat maneuvers more frequently, and that's always a good thing in a role-playing game.

Agree on all counts. But since the systems IMO should be kept separate, the need for different BAB, saves might not be there.

Anyway, the stunt system does encourage cool descriptions etc. and the way spells are designed as well, I think roleplaying will benefit, as you suggest.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Sorcica said:
Agree on all counts. But since the systems IMO should be kept separate, the need for different BAB, saves might not be there.

One of the original selling points though was that you'd be able to use monsters from D&D/D20 with little effort (changing some of the special abilities, DR, etc.). If that is achieved by having different numbers in the class charts, then so be it -- it's no biggie to me whether the numbers are the same as in D&D as long as they work.

Sorcica said:
If there is, I'm missing it. Seems strange, as you would think that an unarmed bad ass is iconic to IH.

I must be missing it....

I wouldn't exactly say 'I've been missing it', Bob....

No martial arts would be a plus for me....

Last edited:

MacMathan

Explorer
I can see the need for the increased BAB and the Saves, as past level 10 a good portion of a standard characters total comes from magic items, i.e. a level 20 fighter probably has a +5 sword thus BAB +25. Most characters get resistance items to buff Saves so once again without magic an increase is needed to stay competitive.

As far a mixing IH in with AE and 3.5 it sounds like the Mastering Iron Heroes book will give more of a break down on the mechanics and thus allow that sort of tinkering.

Anyhow I will just sit here and be jealous that my pre-order is days away..... ;)

Thanks for the info.

JPL

Adventurer
Sorcica said:

I must be missing it....

Is there perhaps a feat mastery chain [if that's the correct terminology] for Improved Unarmed Strike? If not, maybe Mr. Mearls will throw us one along with the erratta. Maybe that could be combined with the weapons master?

Talk, if you would, about the sample setting.

Can't seem to find it.

I also can't find feat to do impossible feats of strength, though the book has a picture of a guy toppeling down a stone pillar...

JPL said:
Talk, if you would, about the sample setting.

It's called the Swordlands. In a nutshell, humans were created by a powerful magic race known as the Masters.
In time, the Masters destroyed themselves in a cataclysmic war, leaving only behind strange ruins and sinister relics. A few humans are more powerful than others, because they were designed by the Masters to be better servants. These are called the first.

Now, it's a hundred years since the war. The characters live in a world whose civilization teeters on the edge of destruction. Terrible monsters, left over from the Masters, and savage barbarians lurk just on the other side of a kingdom's borders, ready to tear down everything man has built. Humanity remains cloaked in ignorance, as few knows what lurks beyond the horizon.
Characters in the Swordlands are among the first to journey into the unknown.
New cults are rising, kingdoms change rulers, etc...

Remove ads