• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iron Kingdoms Ogrun Tank, trying to make one interesting.

Tetujin

First Post
Anyone familar with the setting knows it's easy for an Ogrun to just go Fighter/Barbarian and head up the Whirlwind Attack feat tree using an Ogrun Warcleaver (5-15ft threat, 2d8 x3). I've been combing the allowed books (Core + Complete + IK) to look for something a bit more entertaining while still maintaining my position as primary tank.

For those not familar with the setting the Ogrun are large, have ECL 1, and get +4 Str, -2 Int and Wis. They get a bonus 1d8 hit points, move 40ft, and racial bonuses to intimidate and craft (any metal). (Please avoid discussing the balance issues behind this race, it should also be noted that many things in IK are only balanced in IK)

They mostly live in dwarven communities and still experience a moderate social stigma from Humans and Elves. Ogrun almost exclusively worship a nature goddess. Any classes with Sorcerer or basically any Cha-based casters in any class are thought of as "witches" and are rare and secretive.

My first attempt was at a quarterstaff (eventually Longstaff) using, expertising, TWF Ranger, which was working out pretty well until I learned I couldn't take the PHB Ranger I had to take the IK Ranger which is different significantly enough to make the build impossible due to MAD even with a 32 point buy. His aim was to show combat skill was measured in intelect (INT 14) rather then "the largest piece of metal" and was generally upset about how his race get's characterized and was doing his best to become an example of the nobility (for lack of a better word) of the Ogrun way of life.

And now, to be perfectly honest, I'm rather stumped. I know I just need to think of the right exotic weapon or feat or use of a base class could get me off the ground. Even more so if anyone is familar with the setting maybe they could relate what kind of Ogrun they think would be interesting to play. I'm cirtain there is all sorts of other information you might need and don't hesitate to request it.

Paraxis

Explorer
I have some knowledge of IK. I think an Ogron monk in the order of keeping woold be interesting, go the grapple route, take earths embrace feat out of complete warrior, and give the rouge in party his sneak attacks. The other idea would just for flavor be barbarian/cleric of Dhunia, use the spells and special feats to boost fighting ability instead of bonus feats from fighter.

Remove ads