IRON KINGDOMS: The Journals of Heinrich Uberlich - Final Chapter

ReeboKesh

First Post
Having received absolutely no feedback on my story hour on the 'Official IK forums' I've decided to post my Witchfire Trilogy journals hear. I hope readers enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing AND playing it. As always comments and questions are always welcome.
Reebo Kesh

Wednesday, February 27th, 603 AR
“The City of Ghosts”

As I sit within my room in the church of Morrow in the city of Corvis, I have decided to keep a journal of the passing days. I do not know how I know this, but I believe the next couple of days will become very interesting for Heinrich Uberlich, son of Reinhard Uberlich, of the city of Caspia.

It began a week ago when I accepted guard duty on a caravan travelling to Corvis for the merchant Gunner Wadock. Three other guards joined me; a priest of Morrow named Darius Snowhair, an elf calling himself Cromwell (obviously a surname) and a fellow practitioner of the arcane arts named Yama Khan.

Our trip was not uneventful for we were attacked by Swamp Gobbers in Widower’s Wood, a couple of miles from Corvis. Our lead horse was slain by ballista-like device. An artificial fog created by the Gobbers allowed them to steal two horses and their packs, thankfully no human lives were lost though the Gobbers did rob Darius of his money pouch. During the battle Yama Khan miscalculated the range of a sleep spell and put Darius to sleep. I must remember to speak with him on this matter. If it was a simple accident I will let it slide. These Gobbers were either very mechanically skilled or someone is providing them with their contraptions.

Eventually we reached Corvis, City of Ghosts, named such because of the large amount of graves in the city and the rumors that the dead are seen walking at night. It was built on a now increasing swamp fed by the Black River; the city has been forced to build upwards and has created a series of channels to ease passage through the city. Many catacombs created by the upward building lie beneath Corvis or so I have been told.
We were paid the less than generous sum of 25 crowns a piece for guard duty. Gunner Wadock told us to go see Father Dumas at the church of Morrow for healing. Since Darius was already a member of the clergy, we decide to travel together, along with Cromwell and Yama Khan.

Our meeting with the aging High Priest Father Dumas went very well and we have been asked to investigate a series of grave robberies in and around the city. He has offered to house and feed us in exchange for this task. Cromwell scoffed at this payment, a mercenary-like individual to be certain. Father Dumas also asked us to keep the investigation secret and discreet as possible. Is he hiding something? Always the suspicious mind, Heinrich.

We have been given a list of family graves robbed and their locations:
Sylva and Monsanata family, northern city graveyard.
Gadock family, family’s farm outside eastern city gate.
Sunbright family, Sunbright Estate, southern Corvis.
Hopless and Burkett family, eastern bone yard outside city gate.
Fullet family, family’s farm, north of city.

We first visited the Sylva family grave. Person or persons unknown emptied the grave of Kell Sylva. We find no evidence to suggest who or why. This grave robbery occurred two weeks ago.

We get the same result with the Monsonata family. Empty grave, care taken not to leave tracks. Moira Monsonata was the poor soul whose grave was robbed. This robbery also occurred two weeks ago. During our investigation Cromwell exchanges words with a heavily armed guard visiting his late wife’s grave. I later learned that he was Julian Helstrom, Captain of the Corvis Guard. Note to self, keep eye on Cromwell lest he jeopardize our investigation.

The third and final grave we check this day is the Gadock family grave. The family’s grandfather Haggar’s grave is robbed. I suggested that Grandfather may have been buried alive but this is not taken well by the grandson. Of course the grandfather was buried eight years ago. This family is poor so I cannot fathom a motivation or a link to the other robberies? This robbery occurred one week ago. Is it the most recent robbery?
We decide to retire to church for the night after briefing Father Dumas.

Last edited:

ReeboKesh

First Post
Thursday, February 28th, 603 AR
“The investigations continues”

We continued our investigations today. Despite our radically different views I am becoming attached to this little group, no one in particular but Yama Khan seems to give me the least amount of grief over certain issues.

At the Sunbright Estate we learn that Radnill Sunbright’s grave was robbed. Radnill’s son did not seem to want to cooperate with our investigation. A hidden motive perhaps? Inheritance? The Sunbright’s are a rich family. I noticed Cromwell eyeing the trappings of the guest hall so I made our meeting with Mr Sunbright a short one. He did mention that the robbery occurred three weeks ago.

At the eastern bone yard outside the city we investigated the graves of Ham Hopless and Senn Burkett. We did get the opportunity to speak with a gravedigger. He claims to have seen young girl, in a white gown, in the graveyard, at night, two weeks ago. I think he wish he had seen a young girl, in a white gown, in the graveyard, at night, two weeks ago. I give him some farthings for his troubles.

Frustrated by the lack of leads we retire to church for the night after speaking with Father Dumas.

Later that evening Cromwell shows up at the church claiming he was almost murdered by some thugs trying to rob him. More than likely someone he was trying to rob fought back. I do not trust him and I believe Darius feels the same way.

ReeboKesh

First Post
Friday, March 1st, 603 AR
“The game is afoot!”

Today proved to be a most insightful day with our investigations revealing a link between the graves robbed and some information about Corvis’ past.

We visited the last of the graves robbed, that of Chander Fullet. When I asked if her husband had any enemies, the grieving widow mentioned that her husband had been a juror in a witch trial ten years ago. At this point Cromwell made some lewd comments to the grieving widow so we decided to leave. It occurred to me that all the grave robbery victims might be jurors from this trial ten years ago and after checking history books at the city library my suspicions were confirmed.

We returned to the church. When asked about the Witch Trails, Father Dumas told us that indeed five witches were tried and executed for crimes against Corvis ten years ago. He informed us that four of the five witches were buried in a tomb in Widowers’ Wood. He also revealed, with some apprehension that their leader, Lexaria Ciannor was his sister in law and is buried on church grounds. Cromwell seemed to be angered by the story of the executions and began an argument with Father Dumas despite our best efforts to dissuade him. Naturally he was asked to leave the church and did so under a cloud of anger. I have not seen him yet and maybe I never will again.

Later Darius told me he conversed with a young woman in a white dress inside the church, he suspects that she may be a ghost.

We later learnt that the young woman is Alexia Ciannor, Father Dumas’ niece and daughter of the witch coven leader, Lexaria Ciannor. The plot thickens.

ReeboKesh

First Post
Saturday, March 2nd, 603 AR
“The Tomb of the Four Witches”

Having just returned from a shopping trip, I have decided to document the days’ events before retiring for the evening.

We rose early this morning and gathered our gear. Darius requested some horses from the church but was advised against it. Father Dumas provided an old map detailing the location of the crypt and we left the church. Outside we bumped into Cromwell who acted as if nothing had happened the night before. Not wanting to enter Widow’s Wood without the elf’s skilled weapon arm, we asked him to accompany us.

Following the map provided, we found the burial crypt in Widowers’ Wood. It had been breached, but it seemed that this occurred a long while ago. From my studies of the crypt I deduced that it was of ancient Orgoth design, the distinct distorted faces of Orgoth architecture was prevalent. I struck lit a sunrod and passed it to Darius before entering.
The first room we discovered showed signs of recent occupation and upon searching a bed of dried leaves we discovered a loose flagstone. Beneath it was a wondrous treasure; a pistol, oiled and wrapped in cloth with three rounds of ammunition. Its make and design indicated it was very, very old. Cromwell asked to carry the pistol for safekeeping.

Through a series of interconnecting passages we found a large partially submerged chamber. This chamber almost cost our priest his very life. At its shore was a small boat filled with fishing equipment. Darius and Cromwell approached the boat and Darius proceeded to punch a hole in the small boat with his sword. He and Cromwell then began to push it into the water to scuttle it. At that moment giant tentacles burst forth from the water and attacked them. Reacting quickly Yama Khan and I fired our crossbows, I managed to score a hit. Cromwell luckily freed himself of the tentacles and retreated back to shore looking paler than his normal pale elven features. The giant squid, as we would later confirm, firmly entwined Darius and then lashed out grabbing Yama Khan who had moved in closer for a better shot. Both were then dragged underwater much to my horror. Cromwell and I began to remove our gear and when Cromwell dived in, I waded in to the shallows and cast a Shocking Grasp spell. Yama Khan burst from the water at this point and invoked a Magic Missile into the beast, spitting out the incantations with visible fury.

Moments later the cavern was plunged into darkness as a cloud of ink spread out from the water. I saw Cromwell emerge from the water before darkness descended on us but no sign of Darius, who held the sunrod, our only light source. Thinking quickly Yama Khan cast a Light spell and we watched the inky black waters’ surface for Darius. Finally we were rewarded by a mass of bubbles, like those expelled from a person's lungs when they can no longer hold their breath. Cromwell dived in and retrieved the near drowned priest. Using his healing knowledge Yama Khan was able to force the water from his lungs and revive him. Soaking wet; covered in ink and feeling exhausted, we rested for half an hour, taking the opportunity to search the pool once the ink had subsided. We found a dozen ancient Orgoth coins and a dagger, still in pristine condition despite being submerged in water. Once again Cromwell volunteers to carry the dagger. I hope this does not become a habit. This time I decided to search the small boat, which hadn’t completely sunk. I found some waterskins and a fishing pole and basket. The waterskins contained a strange liquid that Cromwell took a swig from. His reaction told us it wasn’t alcohol or anything that should be drunk. Later it occurred to me that it was some sought of squid repellent used by the owner of the fishing gear to fish safely in this pool.

Continuing to explore the crypt we came across a lone Swamp Gobber clutching a crude spear and cowering in fright. Our attempts of conversing with it revealed that someone had come recently. Bok, as the Gobber called himself, constantly muttered about ‘the witches’. After some empty threats he agreed to lead us to ‘the witches’. Not taking any chance we tied him up and followed him on a leash. Eventually coming to an intersection he motioned that the witches were within. I tied his legs and gagged him and we proceeded cautiously into the next room.

Four open and empty wooden coffins and various trappings of a necromantic ritual dominated the chamber. Before we could examine them closely three skeletons armed with rusty blades and corroded armour attacked us. Yama Kahn pointed out the runes that covered the skeletons and said that no method of animating the dead he had read about required the Necromancer to inscribe such runes. The skeletons fought with some skill but the combined effort of warhammer, spell and blade sent them once again to their eternal rest. I noticed Yama Khan slip one of the skeleton skulls into his pack but I said nothing.
The coffins, which had once been bound with chains, now lay open and their interiors held dried bloodstains were the beheaded witches had been laid to rest. Someone had animated the four dead witches and left. We were too late. Darius examined some of the ritualistic markings and inscriptions and came to the conclusion that the four witches and been actually resurrected! Something unheard of in Cygnar, and a practice forbidden by the church. Darius also expressed his concerns that he believed young Alexia was behind this. Cromwell then voiced concerns that we all shared; if Alexia was the culprit then the next step in her plan was to resurrect her mother, Lexaria Ciannor, head of the coven of witches. We searched the rest of the crypt and found a flooded pit filled with ancient bones and as we were leaving three monkey sized rats attacked us. Devil Rats I have heard them called. Our ‘friend’ Bok, had eaten his way out of his bonds and escaped.
Our trip through the forest was not as uneventful as our trip in. Darius and Cromwell fell into a freshly dug shallow spike lined pit. Chattering laughter revealed the identity of our trap-makers but not their location; we proceeded forward, cautiously.

Arriving back in Corvis we immediately reported to Father Dumas and informed him of our findings. He seemed deeply troubled. Cromwell asked to see the tomb of Lexaria and was told he could see it but not open it, once again a heated argument occurred between him and Father Dumas, and he stormed out. Cromwell wished to open the tomb to verify that Lexaria’s body was still within. A sound suggestion in my opinion but he fails to respect the laws and beliefs of the people of Corvis and the Church of Morrow. I am sure time will tell. Later Father Dumas conferred with Captain Helstrom who has posted two guards around the tomb of Lexaria Ciannor.

We all met up later in the city’s merchant district and made various purchases, including a pair of goggles for each one of us, an impulse buy to be certain. Cromwell showed us his warhammer, engraved with his name in reverse on the flat end of the head. Why do I think that may get him into trouble one day?

ReeboKesh

First Post
Sunday, March 3rd, 603 AR
“A day off”

I have decided to detail my recent findings and today’s events while Yama Khan scribes his Armour spells on to scrolls.

This morning a mass was held as is customary on Sundays. We overheard two churchgoers talking about an gladiatorial-like competition being held today between Steamjacks in the city’s great arena. Hearing that gambling is allowed we decided that this may be an easy way to earn some money without risking our necks.

We headed over to our friendly weaponsmith Bodak and inquired about the old magical dagger that Cromwell still carried. He told us that it was a seeker dagger of lesser enchantment and offered us 1,000 crowns for it. Cromwell expressed his reluctance to sell it so I suggested maybe borrowing money. Darius was able to get 12 crowns for the ancient Orgoth currency we found in the witches’ tomb. I feel we could have got more if we persisted. Bodak recommended a reputable moneylender and we headed off to see him. Cromwell offered the dagger as collateral to burrow 500 crowns from the moneylender. With money in hand we set off to the arena.

The arena is a grand place with many stalls leading up to it lining the streets. Undistracted by these we headed straight to the gambling windows to place our bets. The first bout was between two Steamjacks named Crusher and Great Ape. Crusher, armed with a large mallet won and Darius and Cromwell won some money. The next bout between Claw and Slasher goes poorly for Yama Khan who loses on the Claw. Placing my bet on Slasher proves to offset that loss. The final bout between Slasher and the reigning champion, Demolition Jack displayed the sheer power of these Steamjacks, when the champion hurled his opponent through the air! In the end our total winnings minus the moneylender’s fee equaled over 100 crown. Not to bad. Most of the winnings were split between myself and Yama Khan, to finance our scroll making. Cromwell, of course, obtained his dagger back.

I must note down that during the day I believe I spotted Alexia Ciannor at the arena. She seemed to be watching the tournament so I paid her no heed.

On the way back to the moneylender, Darius mentioned that Father Dumas told him of catacombs beneath the city. I, in turn revealed that I had discussed with Captain Helstrom the possibility of a hideaway or lair near the city that our despoiler of ancient tombs and graves could be hiding. He replied that he knew not of any offhand but would get back to me within a day or two. I am sure he knows a little more than he is letting on. I entrusted the others with the money handling and excused myself. An idea had occurred to me. I stopped by one of the many street stalls, a seller of bangles and trinkets to be exact and purchased a minor bauble, a silver bracelet. I then made haste to the church of Morrow. Once there I proceeded to ask one of the junior clerics the location of Alexia Ciannor’s room. I told him I wished to return the silver bracelet that I saw her drop at the arena. He gave me directions and I proceeded upstairs.

Entering her room I quickly checked every possible location for anything that may link her to the crimes of grave robbery and witchcraft. I was rewarded by finding three large tomes beneath her bed. They detailed local history; the witch trails and revealed the entrance to a series of catacombs beneath the church. I replaced the books as I found them and before leaving dropped the bracelet onto her bed. An impulsive act to be sure, but I hoped that it may make her nervous enough about being found to make a mistake, then we will have her.

I waited outside the church until I spied the others coming. Quickly intercepting them I explained my findings and we discussed a course of action. Cromwell and Darius wanted to proceed post haste to the catacombs but Yama Khan and I convinced them to wait while we prepared scrolls of Armour to protect ourselves.

We have finished our scrolls. We leave for the catacombs now.

ReeboKesh

First Post
Sunday, March 3rd, 603 AR continued
“Alexia Ciannor”

We proceeded to the blind alley indicated in one of the books in Alexia’s room. After several moments searching, we found a stone trapdoor that lead into the sewer. We followed the only possible path down the sewer passage to a large drainage room in which water spiraled around the room with much force. Using a narrow walkway we circumvented the room and continued on our way. Discovering a side passage in the corridor we entered it and found ourselves in a crudely furnished chamber, obvious recently inhabited. This time though we were rewarded when the occupant stepped forward from behind a heavy curtain to one side of the room. It was Alexia!
Before we could act she spoke a word of power which enspelled us from the neck down with immovability. Darius was initially unaffected and began to push past us to grapple with the young witch but before he could reach her she cast another spell, immobilizing him. I asked her why she was committing these vile acts. She replied that it was “for revenge, against the city and its people who had condemned her mother and her coven to death for being different”. “All of Corvis would pay,” she said “for this act of injustice that occurred ten years ago”. Cromwell then offered to join her side! He claimed he believed that her mother had been unfairly executed. The young Alexia simply scoffed at his offer and walked past us. Several more words of power followed by the sound of shifting stone informed us that our initial entrance was no more. We didn’t even have to turn and look, even though we couldn’t, at least for the next 10 minutes or so. Mental note to self, keep an eye on Cromwell. He has given me reason not to trust him yet he claims it was a ruse to trick Alexia. I think he is letting Alexia’s striking looks affect his judgement and he is thinking with his codpiece rather than his head.

Once able to move, we proceeded to search the room. We found several papers covered with arcane symbols, some of which resembled those on the skull that Yama Khan still carried. As well as the beginning of a letter to her uncle. Several other notes mentioned someone named Borlock, a symbol of an eye crossed by a lightning bolt and a query to the identity of the executioner at the witch trail. Finally a scroll contained two wizard spells, Invisibility and Lightning Bolt. Yama Khan suggested I hold onto them. Leaving the room by another exit we now explored for a way out of the catacombs. Our room by room search uncovered a total of seven zombies, which we were forced to fight of course. The ease of which Cromwell and Darius dispatched them made Yama Khan theorize that these were weaker versions of common zombies. He told me that the common variety could easily resist a simple sword blow or even two. The cadavers age possibly had something to do with it for these zombies were dry like the long dead not fresh like common zombies. We also found two signet rings on the bodies, one marked M the other S. My theory, Monsonata family and Sunbright family — these zombies were the jurors! Cromwell once again took possession of these trinkets but I warned him that they would be returned to the families along with these bodies. He gave me a surprised look as if he was being accused of something.

We continued on and discovered a circular chamber illuminated by a pure light that seemed to originate from the very air itself. Within was a shrine of a Saint, Saint Sanbert I believe Darius called him. While Yama Khan and I took in the room, Darius stepped in and knelt to pray at the shrine. We didn’t initially notice Cromwell slipping past us to check the other side of the statue of the saint. Darius rose to his feet and spoke a prayer to divine the magic in the room. At that moment we noticed Cromwell placing a ring on his finger. Darius told us later that the magic on the ring faded when Cromwell put it on. Cromwell had found it in a small chest. The chest was also magical and Darius took possession of it after scolding Cromwell for taking the ring. We discovered the skeletal body of a warrior or priest near the shrine as well. Darius removed a necklace of prayer beads from the skeleton after offering a prayer to Morrow. He told us that the beads somehow increased the effectiveness of his healing spells. Something of a great benefit to us I’m sure.

We left the shrine and continued down a long corridor. On either side we found burial chambers of those poor souls killed by the plague many years ago. Cromwell insisted on searching them for valuables, using his own twisted sense of logic to back up his suggestion. Both Darius and I, even Yama Khan, warned him against such a course of action and he withdraws his suggestion. Along the corridor we found ourselves facing many large Devil Rats and after slaying several I pressed the group to move on before we were overwhelmed.

Eventually we left the long corridor of the dead behind and come to a crudely constructed bridge across a wide expanse. Acting on instinct Cromwell tied a rope around his waist and passed us the other end. He began to walk across when suddenly slimy green tendrils dropped from the ceiling and entwined him! A plant-creature like the one in the witches’ tomb! We yanked on the rope with our combined strength and managed to pull him free before too much damage was done. As Darius tended to Cromwell’s wounds Yama Khan and I sent crossbow bolts and a Magic Missile to still the creature. After crossing the bridge, we found an engraved door. Forcing it opens revealed a fresh tomb. Darius told us that this one is for recently departed high-ranking clerics of the order. Exiting the tomb we surprised one of the guards who ran off, I assumed to inform his superiors.

We were quickly treated of our injuries by several of the junior clerics and then we held a meeting with Father Dumas. He is troubled by all that we’ve told him, most of all of the mention that his niece, his angel of light, is really an evil witch possessed of powerful dark magic and hell bent on exacting revenge on the city of Corvis. All he offered us is that we speak to Captain Helstrom, so we left. What disturbs me is that Father Dumas made no mention that he would even try to speak to Alexia or have her arrested. Either he has known for a while of her intentions but has played the role of the blind uncle or he is, Morrow forbid, somehow connected to all of this.

ReeboKesh

First Post
Monday, March 4th, 603 AR
“Captain Helstrom.”

It has been a long day and my muscles ache from the physical training I have undergone.
Our meeting with Captain Helstrom went well. After telling him of our findings he informs us that he indeed has been watching Alexia for some time. He suspected she was up to no good but had no proof to back up his suspicions. He told us that he believes she is using an old fort, Fort Rhyker, as a base of operations just north of Widower’s Wood. He sent two scouts up to the fort to investigate but has not heard back from them. He implored us to go to Fort Rhyker, scout out the area and report back. If we find his men alive bring them back, otherwise bury them in the wilderness lest they become mindless undead. He even gave us their wages, 40 crowns total.

Cromwell and I requested training from him, I in the martial arts and pistol usage and Cromwell in the skills of the ranger scouts. Helstrom agreed to this hence why I ache from the intensive training I received today.

Another thing, Helstrom informed us that someone higher up in the government had ordered the guards removed from the crypt of Lexaria Ciannor, something about ‘frightening the mourners whose families where buried on church grounds’, he was told. He has asked that we meet at daybreak, he will supply horses and some other items that may be of use. This last statement he made with a wry smile.

ReeboKesh

First Post
Tuesday, March 5th, 603 AR
“Fort Rhyker”

I must scribe carefully, for I am sitting on the back of a rickety wagon with a large disk beaten with gold and a disassembled field glass, heading back to Corvis.

This morning we met up with Captain Helstrom. He had four black stallions and two small kegs with knotted cords sprouting from their lids, for us. He explained that these were filled with gunpowder and that the cords, when pulled, would create a fuse that detonated the kegs within 20 to 30 seconds. We all smiled at this gift. Cromwell and myself even more so when Helstrom handed me half a dozen bullets for the small ancient pistol that Cromwell gave me and a pair of masterwork daggers for Cromwell. He asked that the daggers be returned as they were property of the evidence locker from the Watch barracks. He wished us well and we rode of to the north.

Our ride took some four hours and we had to pass through some of Widower’s Wood. During our trip through the forest I had the feeling that we could have been randomly attacked at any time.

Eventually we reached Fort Rhyker, a multilevel stone structure spanning an immense rift in the land. The Fort’s gatehouse was on the side we had come from; the larger main tower would take us several hours to reach if we traveled around the rift. As we approached a chilling site greeted us. Captain Helstrom had told us that the fort had been a site for an immense battle years ago and that the bodies of the dead littered the field of battle. Before us, over twenty skeletons were digging the bones of the long dead from the ground and placing them in a wooden cart pulled by an undead steed.

Two of the skeletons looked up from their duties and began to watch us. We decided to make a break for it and ride up to the gatehouse, unfortunately a narrow roadway was the only entrance and we found ourselves riding toward a trio of heavily armed skeletons. Cromwell passed them first but as I attempted to one of them struck me a vicious cut with its halberd across my back. I gritted away the pain and continued to ride. Darius rode up beside me and handed me a potion. I greedily swallowed the contents and the pain across me back subsided.

We continued up the roadway but once again we were attacked. I suffered another deep cut and Yama Khan’s horse was spooked. It bolted with the necromancer hanging on for dear life. Darius road up to me and spoke a prayer to Morrow healing me of this new wound turning back I saw that Cromwell had dismounted his steed and moved to combat the skeletons alone. In one swift move I drew forth my pistol and fired catching one of the skeletons in the shoulder. Dismounting I spoke the incantation of my Disrupt Undead spell and let loose at one of the skeletons fighting Cromwell. The beam disrupted the Negative energy keeping it ‘alive’ and returned it to a simple pile of bones. Unfortunately I was unable to prevent Cromwell from being downed by a second skeleton. I turned to Darius and cried, “In Morrows’ name do something!” With that Darius focused the power of his god and the two remaining skeletons ceased their attacks and backed away from the approaching priest. We rushed to Cromwell’s side and after administering another healing potion he regained consciousness. At that moment Yama Khan, who had regained control of his horse, returned. The general consent was to retreat to rethink our options, so we did so, backing up half-hour distance from the gatehouse.

While we rested for a moment Cromwell began to gather rocks from the ground and placed them into a sack. When I asked him what he was doing he replied that if we placed one of our kegs in the sack with the rocks, when they exploded the rocks would cause even greater damage as the force of the explosion flung them in every direction. I then began to collect rocks and filled my own sack, with the second gunpowder keg as well.
We rode back towards the gatehouse and took a wider path to avoid the skeleton guards. We considered hiding in the wagon of bones but thought against it for we could be caught on foot in a possible ambush. Entering the gatehouse we discovered several skeletons unloading the cart and another two skeletal horses. Stabling our own horses away from the undead we moved towards the only two doors leading into the building. Yama Khan stopped us and muttered some arcane words, the spell was unfamiliar to me, but when he finished he began to concentrate intently on our surroundings. He stopped and as he looked at the ceiling above us he said “There are ten undead ‘life signs’ above us, eight weak ones and two stronger ones.” Cromwell smiled and hefted his warhammer; the rest of us checked our gear and followed the elf though one of the doors.

We headed upstairs after finding a room with a working dumb waiter. The device indicated that there was also a lower level to this gatehouse. We had spied two bridges between the gatehouse and main tower riding up to it. Neither of these bridges could be reached from the ground level.

On the next level we followed Yama Khan’s instructions and moved cautiously in the direction of the undead. As we entered a corridor four skeletons emerged from a doorway. A battle ensued. During the battle I noticed one of the tougher, well-armed skeletons seem to speak to another skeleton though a doorway. A eerie sight indeed as the skeleton made no sound speaking. We destroyed our opponents and then looked into the empty barracks they had emerged. At that moment Yama Khan cried out. He had been caught by surprise by another larger group of skeletons coming from behind. He audibly cursed himself for using his spell to only scan in one direction. I invoked a Shield spell and rushed to combat the six new skeletons by Cromwell’s side. During the course of battle Cromwell fell again and Darius was forced to call upon Morrow once more to force the skeletons back. As he treated Cromwell’s injuries, Yama Khan and I destroyed the ‘turned’ skeletons.

We continued our exploration of the gatehouse and discovered a gold plated signaling device and a large mounted field glass. Together we vowed that we would take these items with us upon leaving this gatehouse or die trying. I took a moment to peer through the field glass and discovered that many of the digging skeletons had been destroyed, someone else was here but I didn’t know at the time whether they were they friend or foe?

Cautiously we descended to the lower levels of the gatehouse. In a side room I found the wheel mechanism to the lower bridge, a drawbridge to be precise. Without giving it another thought I raised the drawbridge, preventing any possible advancement from the main tower to the gatehouse via this entrance. The we heard a sound coming from upstairs. As the skeletons had been quiet up to this point we surmised that it was a mysterious guests.

I entered the room with the dumb waiter and noticed the chain moving. I reach over and shook it, hoping to dislodge something or someone. I was greeted seconds later by a flask of alchemist’s fire exploding in front of me. Luckily Cromwell was near with his fireproof gloves and helped me snuff the flames burning my long coat. We raced upstairs ready to confront our mysterious guests. There were four of them, dressed in drab coloured clothing and light armour. Two were armed with shortbows, the other two with shortswords. They offered no call of truce and neither did we so a battle began. My first gunshot missed its target and I was struck in the leg by an arrow. Not taking any chances I drew forth the scroll we found in the catacombs and I read the incantation of the Lightning Bolt spell. The resulting bolt of lightning, crackled loudly in our ears and when my eyes adjusted from the flash, I found the two rogues before me blasted and burnt on the floor. I turned to follow Darius and Yama Khan up the stairs after one of the rogues.
Moments later, Yama Khan and I caught up with Darius and Cromwell near the field glass. I peered over the side of the battlement and saw the body of the last rogue pin cushioned by a pair of arrows. Cromwell showed us one of the rogues’ severed hands, it had a symbol tattooed onto the back of the hand, a symbol of an eye with a lightning bolt through it. I chuckled to myself; those two rogues I had killed wouldn’t have had the time to realise the irony of their tattoos when my Lightning Bolt blasted them apart.

We caught our collective breaths after that fight and began the process of dismantling the field glass and signal disk. During one of several trips downstairs another trio of skeletons attacked us. Defeating them we discussed on how to destroy the upper bridge to the main tower. Cromwell had a plan but it seemed to be too complicated so we pulled one of the cords of the kegs as more skeletons began to march across and retreated to watch the spectacular explosion destroy the stone bridge and several skeletons with it.

Now we head back to Corvis with our prizes but alas no sign of the two missing guards. With the way the skeletons fought I can only assume they were killed. I will suggest to the others that we return their wages to Helstrom so that he may give them to their families.

Monty Tomasi

First Post
I ran an IK game that unfortunately was brought short due to non-gaming reasons. However, the setting absolutely fabulous and I've enjoyed reading the entries in the SH so far, please keep posting more.

The bit where it says:
Darius also expressed his concerns that he believed young Alexia was behind this.
Seemed to be bit a bit out of the blue, but I'll have another read of the SH later.

All in all good stuff though, I especially like the suspiscions of the narator and his humorous comments.

Ps. if you would like to encourage more people to read this entertaining SH, I would recommend putting [IK] or [Iron Kingdoms] in the title so that fans of the setting can pick it out of the list of Story Hours more readily. The other thing to do is to add a link in your signature.

Last edited:

ReeboKesh

First Post
Thanks Monty.

I believe Darius and the rest of us started to put things together after we found out Alexia was the daughter of the head of a witch coven.

As for your suggestions, doing so now!
Thanks
Reebo

Remove ads