• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Is 4E doing it for you?

Fifth,
Ok, taking price point into account MM is about 60 pages bigger than the DMG. The quantities sold of the MM should be on par w/ the DMG correct? (let me know if you think I'm wrong and why) Anyone planning on reffing would need both as I see it. Also not all the difference in page count need to made up. I don't have my books with me but roughly how many pages does the magic items take up? You can fit about maybe 6 powers per page, using that for powers would be immense as I see it.
Thanks
I would expect more MMs to be sold than DMGs, but probably not a lot more. Some DMs will go without the DMG (especially veterans who have heard that the DMG is mostly advice rather than crunchy bits), and some players will want the MM.

But I might be wrong in this, since the MM is closer in page count to the PHB than the DMG. WotC would know better than I. But they had to base the price point on expected demand, so maybe they were off too.

Magic items are a bit over 30 pp in the PHB. You're a bit off on the powers per page - it looks like about 8 per page to me. But only about 6 magic items per page. So I'm inclined to agree with you - those 30 pages could have put over 200 more powers in the book. That probably would have been worthwhile.

Fixed it for Mr. Wise.
No you didn't, you completely ignored my point trying to be funny.

Some people will take the PHB's direction (that it is best to make sure all roles are filled by a party) as a warning - otherwise party effectiveness would be reduced. Personally, I think with the emphasis on teamwork and particularly how encounters are set up (multiple opponents - more hit points to chew through), there is a greater need in 4E to have a well-rounded party than in previous editions. YMMV.

Obviously others would just ignore the direction regardless. You can try to make fun of it, but the advice is there.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Cold Beer

First Post
Ugh. I detest cheesecake. Never liked flavors based on cream cheese. Regular old key lime is so much better.

Well, I like cheesecake...I just don't like LIME cheesecake...now Key Lime Pie is great, and so is chocolate chip cheesecake...but lime cheescake? Ech.

That does it, I'm bringing cheesecake to our next session.

*remembers diet* Dangit. Nevermind.

4e? Oh. Yeah it's... ok...just not ok for me.

Imaro

Legend
Eh, real talk...the only thing 4e is doing for me, right now, is making me appreciate other games more. My group refuses to play it, only one member thought it was "ok", but she doesn't like it enough to fight with the other members to play, and all of them are enjoying our Changeling the Lost Campaign more than D&D 4e.

I know it might seem silly but...I almost feel a little deceived, as I really like SWSE, but...4e just isn't (IMO) as good as the Saga system, and I hate that Saga was hyped as a preview to 4e (because IMO...there are some pretty different design goals for the two games). The last two WotC books I bought were Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide and Force Unleashed Campaign Guide, both excellent books for the price. Honestly nothing for D&D is exciting me, people are already complaining about power creep in Adventurers Vault, and I'm not a FR fan, in fact I haven't gotten anything beyond the 3 core books, and even now more of my money is going to White Wolf's new Hunter game and extra Star Wars minis, than D&D 4e.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
4e just isn't (IMO) as good as the Saga system, and I hate that Saga was hyped as a preview to 4e

Interesting. My group has had the opposite reaction. We've been seeing things in 4e that aren't in Saga (Healing surges being the big one), and we're really, really wishing Saga was closer to 4e.

Cheers!

catsclaw227

First Post
Honestly nothing for D&D is exciting me, people are already complaining about power creep in Adventurers Vault....
From what I have read, the complaints about power creep are mostly just hot air, and that, while there is some math that needs to be done to prove it one way or another, the creep is minimal compared to the stuff from 3.x splats.

Then again, I could be wrong.... ;)

Imaro

Legend
Interesting. My group has had the opposite reaction. We've been seeing things in 4e that aren't in Saga (Healing surges being the big one), and we're really, really wishing Saga was closer to 4e.

Cheers!

And yet my group enjoys multi-classing in SWSE 100x more than the multi-classing rules in 4e...Talents better than powers and the fact that jedi (spellcasters) play totally different than non-jedi (non-casters) yet aren't overpowering. I also find the campaign guides (one book for $40 is IMO, a much better deal than 2 for $70...especially when the more expensive option has about the same amount of overall info, or maybe even less detail) These IMHO, are much bigger aspects than how many healing surges a character gets...Honestly I feel 2nd winds are enough, I mean Star Wars isn't a superhero game, and depending upon the era shouldn't be forced to have that feel.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads