• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Is 4E retro?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Its really more a “feeling” then anything else, but is 4E, at least in some ways, going back to pre 3E (or 2E) versions of D&D?

While a feeling, I will try to make some arguments for it:

-PCs playing one class their whole career, with multi-classing a more exotic alternative
-Tying races and classes more closely together (or, having better mechanics to do that)
-Choice of spell-like powers a main way to customize characters

-Simpler monsters
-Simpler and more robust approach to encounters, treasure, and XP

-Less emphasis on corner cases and suboptimal choices
-(some to many) simpler rules
-More room for DM adjudication

-More of a “B/E D&D” tone to the flavour text
-More of a “B/E D&D” approach class branching and immortal ascension
(though AD&D also had “ascension” rules)

Of course, I can come up with counter arguments. There are specific changes from “canon”, and more generally 4E retains (or actually strengthens) 3Es core mechanic and emphasis on (mechanical) options for players and DMs.

But still, it gives me this feeling.

Last edited:

Filcher

First Post
Your post captures the same feeling I've had (but been unable to put to words). Almost more Mentzer redbox than AD&D even, for me. I'm loving it.

kennew142

First Post
This has been my impression as well. The feel of the new edition reminds me a lot of pre-3e D&D. I've felt this when playing and when designing adventures.

These feeling discussions are great, but everyone playing will likely get a different feel from the game. It's too subjective for us all to have a common frame of reference.

edveal

Explorer
Ditto... I get the same feeling but have a hard time expressing why and even a harder time expressing it to many players around here that started on 3rd edition.

But I guess we will know for sure in the next couple of months...

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
I've had this same feeling as well.

3.5 left a really bad taste in my mouth, to the point that I was considering going back and running some OD&D to get my "kick in the door" dungeon adventures.

So when I started hearing more about 4e, and the retro-direction it was going, I was pretty happy.

Looking forward to it.

Simon Marks

First Post
Why no poll?

I've been saying, more or less since I learnt about the tiers concept, that 4e sounds like BECMI reloaded.

And I loved BECMI.

mmadsen

First Post
I'm not picking up much retro vibe at all. Sure, there are some individual elements that hark back to earlier ways of doing things -- simpler monsters, for instance -- but even 3E had a few such retro elements. Remember "back to the dungeon"?

Dausuul

Legend
4th Edition is the bastard love child of BECMI and Magic: The Gathering. And I mean that in a good way.

(BECMI = Basic/Expert/Companion/Master/Immortal, the old red box-blue box game. When the split appeared between "classic" D&D and AD&D, BECMI was what the classic D&D branch evolved into. BECMI was notable for having a major shift in emphasis at each level of play; Basic emphasized dungeon-crawling, Expert emphasized wilderness adventures, Companion emphasized building kingdoms and dominions, Master emphasized the quest for immortality, and Immortals emphasized being a god.)

Last edited:

Simon Marks

First Post
Stands for
Basic
Expert
Companion
Master and
Immortal

5 sets of D&D games covering levels 1-3 (+ basic rules), 4-14 (+ wilderness), 15-25 (+ Dominions and Mass Battles), 26-36 (+ becoming immortal) and finally being a god.

Released in '81 and ran alongside AD&D.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads