Is a 2-handed shield bash getting x2 power attack damage legal?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
spunky_mutters said:
You mean my monk striking unarmed with his primary hand can't wield a dagger in his off-hand?

Ah, well, it all comes down to interpretation, doesn't it?

If the monk makes an off-hand attack with a dagger, he isn't "striking unarmed", he's "striking armed".

If he's holding a dagger in one hand, can he punch with the other "as an off-hand attack"? It's an unarmed strike, but is it "striking unarmed" when he's holding a weapon? One might say he is both armed, and striking.

-Hyp.

spunky_mutters

First Post
Yes, I was just playing with the vagaries of the sentence. It's funny how something intended to clarify can be taken out of context and seem to indicate something completely different.

Taren Seeker

First Post
CCamfield said:
I know that bringing it reality doesn't necessarily make sense with D&D, but how the heck would you actually wield a shield two-handed? If you took it off your arm and grabbed the handles or edges, maybe... but that would require loosing the shield, bashing, and then on the next round readying it again.

I've seen Captain America do it plenty of times.

Picture having the shield strapped to your left arm, and use your right arm to brace the shield as you punch it forward. It would seem awkward if you picture it as an edge strike, but how about bashing with it "face first" so to speak?

drnuncheon

Explorer
Taren Seeker said:
Picture having the shield strapped to your left arm, and use your right arm to brace the shield as you punch it forward. It would seem awkward if you picture it as an edge strike

You could do an edge strike with the outside edge - picture it like doing an elbow strike (the kind where you make your the hand on the same arm as the elbow into a fist, and use your other hand to give it more power).

Taren Seeker said:
If it is a heavy shield, yes. If a light shield, you can't PA at all.

Actually, that's not necessarily the case. The rules for shield bash say "For the purpose of penalties on attack rolls, treat a light shield as a light weapon." That implies that for other purposes (including Power Attack), you do not treat the light shield as a light weapon. The question is, do you treat it as a weapon at all? The rules are not specific.

J

Taren Seeker

First Post
drnuncheon said:
You could do an edge strike with the outside edge - picture it like doing an elbow strike (the kind where you make your the hand on the same arm as the elbow into a fist, and use your other hand to give it more power).

Yup, but like I said, it seems awkward. I prefer the "putting both shoulders behind it and pushing" idea.

Actually, that's not necessarily the case. The rules for shield bash say "For the purpose of penalties on attack rolls, treat a light shield as a light weapon." That implies that for other purposes (including Power Attack), you do not treat the light shield as a light weapon. The question is, do you treat it as a weapon at all? The rules are not specific.

J

As much as I dislike it, I think the intent is to treat it as a light weapon. (My main PC would prefer otherwise) It is sloppy wording though.

If you want to get picky with the reading, you could term PA as a penalty on an attack roll. Therefore, for purposes of penalties on the attack roll, the shield is a light weapon and thus would not gain the damage bonus from PA ;)

Stormrunner

Explorer
I'd allow it, especially if the PC in question was a barbarian.

"With a flick of the wrist, the guard captain sends Grugnor's axe spinning into a far corner of the room. 'Ha! Yield or die, brute!' he shouts."
"Snarling in fury, Grugnor rips the shield off his own arm, raises it over his head in both hands, and pounds the Captain with it. Wham! Wham! Wham!"

Remove ads