• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is a DM shortage partly to blame?

Kunimatyu

First Post
I currently have the opposite problem: of the 10+ players in my various groups, at least 4, maybe more, wish to DM, so next semester it's going to go from me running multiple games to me runnning 1 and playing in a bunch more.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
For our crew, I suspect what mostly gets in the way is a shortage of playable days in the week; we've enough people who either DM or want to, and enough players...just not enough time. :)

Lanefan

Mieric

First Post
Yes - at least in my group.

In the past 6 years only one player has agreed to DM as a replacement.

The rest are either "too busy", "don't know how", or some other excuse. Hell the only prior experience I had before I got saddled with the DM hat was playing in one 1e session as a kid with my older brother.

Graf

Explorer
Generally good groups don’t have this problem.

In a good group:
There are usually enough people (i.e. someone) who is keen to tell a story AND people who want to experience the story.
DMing becomes less pressured, people want to game, the group definies the degree that they want to play, and it all works out.

If nobody wants to DM* then I tend to think that there is some other issue with the group.

*=DM means DM, or ST, or Keeper, or whatever. Some people aren’t into DnD as a Gamemaster, but they can run a wicked CoC game, or superhero game or whatever.

Otherwise just play something like Dungeoneer or Horror at Arkham. It’s similar to having a non-engaged DM in a game.

Storyteller01

First Post
It could just be the 'newness' wearing off. The appeal of the new system is wearing down. Theirs no real need to buy more books, and those for who the initial appeal didn't hold are moving on.

Can't say that it's a DM issue. I'm the primary referee for our group, but there are two others who have their own campaigns running.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
DMing 3e D&D involves a lot of work -- especially if you're making your own setting, adventures, etc.

I've DMed two 3e campaigns in recent years. In both cases, I ran self-made campaigns (although I did adapt a few things from other sources). By the end of the second campaign I realised that I simply did not have the time or energy to continue DMing 3e. I have a real job!

Switching to 'lighter' systems certainly helped for me (C&C and True20 in my case). If I were to DM 3e again, I would almost certainly have to rely primarily on published materials (which would be less satisfying creatively, but c'est la vie).

I'm not surprised that there is a widely reported 'DM shortage' for 3e, at least among gamers with full-time jobs, family obligations, SOs, etc.

For players considering DMing for the first time, I would recommend using products like the 'Dungeon Crawl Classics' modules from Goodman Games, or something like 'The Lost City of Barakus' by Necromancer Games, in order to keep the job manageable.

Nyaricus

First Post
No, I don't think so. While I, myself, currently have 12+ players clamouring to get into my game (only 6 are in right now, the rest are [mostly] noobies and I simply don't have the room or the ability to handle those numbers) I hardly think a DM shortage is causing the gaming world to shrink.

I see stuff like EN World constantly growing, I see more and more people approach me and say "gee, I'd love to play D&D...." and I don't see anythign other than our hobby flourishing as it has sicne the advent of 3e. Sure, it's not like it was in the early days, but it's still there, to be sure.

Of course, all of this could just be a bunch of nerds/geeks/gamers and grognards who can't see the forest for the trees, but it's still an interesting convo, at least :)

cheers,
--N

Aus_Snow

First Post
Er. . . hm. Assuming that the hobby has been shrinking over the years, just for the sake of this exercise. . .

Computer and console games, they're likely 'to blame' I think.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
Theirs plenty of dm’s out in that vast world, but you don’t want to play with those, most of them are ones that had their group walk out on them because they weren’t good dm’s. Eventually they will give up on their hopes of controlling others, and then realize they can get a similar satisfaction being a player in anothers game.

So um I think their is a major shortage of good dm’s that like being dm’s, and do it willingly rather then out of necessity.

... its a joke laced with truth :p

Hussar

Legend
DMing 3e D&D involves a lot of work -- especially if you're making your own setting, adventures, etc.

True. If you refuse to use the ungodly amount of resources out there to lessen your load, DMing can be a lot of work.

Then again, my game is prepped until after Christmas, so, well, DMing has become the best part of gaming.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads