• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is a Wizard a better buffer then a cleric?

Allegro

First Post
So I was looking a creating a wizard and I was a bit surprised at how good of a melee buffer a wizard could be. For example a lvl 12 wizard:

Magic Tattoo: +1 luck bonus to attacks
Magic Tattoo: +2 competence bonus to attacks
Heroism: +2 moral bonus to attacks, saves, skill checks
Stone Skin: damage reduction 10/adamentium
Ectoplasmic Armor: +8 versus incorporeal touch attacks
Spider Skin: +4 natural armor enhancements
Greater Enlarge Person: Larger weapons and reach, -1 to AC
Greater Magic Weapon: +4 enhancement bonus to attacks/damage

With a lesser and normal metamagic rod of extend all the above spells will last at least 4 hours. I did spend 450 gold on components on this hypothetical buffing and I’m sure I’m missing a few other good spells. I thought a cleric was a better combat buffer then a wizard. So here’s the question, is a cleric really a better buffer then a wizard?

Ares

First Post
Well, I'm not too much of a master of the ins and outs of the rules, but generally it's the cleric who is the buffing master. I'm sure at that same level the cleric could buff even better (divine might comes to mind, but I'm not sure what level it is) in addition to Divine Metamagic, which lasts a great deal longer than four hours.

3d6

Explorer
I would say that a cleric is better at buffing himself, while a wizard has better party buffs, such as haste.

Darklone

Ares said:
Well, I'm not too much of a master of the ins and outs of the rules, but generally it's the cleric who is the buffing master. I'm sure at that same level the cleric could buff even better (divine might comes to mind, but I'm not sure what level it is) in addition to Divine Metamagic, which lasts a great deal longer than four hours.
Divine Power and Righteous Might. Add Divine Favor. But they are all Self only.

lukelightning

First Post
3d6 said:
I would say that a cleric is better at buffing himself, while a wizard has better party buffs, such as haste.

Haste and....? I have a level 11 wizard and haste is the only "all party" buffing spell that I could find. He's much better in battlefield control (wall spells, [1]black tentacles[/i], acid fog, etc.)

Henry

Autoexreginated
Depending on the sources, a cleric can really hold his own with the buffing. Spell Compendium gives lots to ALL the classes, and the Clerics, Druids, and Wizard/Sorcerers make out like bandits.

A cleric has some of the best protective buffs, as well -- Mass resist energy, mass sanctuary, mass shield of faith, not to mention the more offensive buffs like recitation, righteous wrath of the faithful, divine agility (+10 to DEX for several rounds!!!) and many others.

(Not to say Druids don't get some powerful boosts too -- Let's put it this way: When a druid hits 9th level, the clerics and monks are lining up around the block to take numbers for Owl's insight, the hands-down most powerful Wisdom boost in the game...)

Jemal

Adventurer
Owls Wisdom is a +4 Enhancement, like all the other 2nd lvl stat buffs..
And it's not druid only.
EDIT:Are you talking about a dif spell??

Shieldhaven

Explorer
For relatively low-level and high-benefit buffing, it's hard to beat bless and prayer. And a lot of cleric domains add in one or more of those wizard buffs - anything from enlarge person to haste to stoneskin, just depending on how you go about selecting domains. And it's not easy to one-up the mind-protecting abilities of a protection from evil.

Haven

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads