• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Is anybody playing 1e with the reprints?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Well, I'm not - I've got multiple copies of the original books and I use them instead of the reprints - but some of my players have the reprinted books and reference them in-game.

We've been running this AD&D game since the end of last year - mostly set in the land of the Frost Barbarians in greyhawk - but we've taken time to include X1: The Isle of Dread and (currently) X2: Castle Amber.

Cheers!

Ravenheart87

Explorer
I have the original books, so didn't buy the reprints. I'm running a sandbox campaign since early August on my homemade setting, Xarn. We had three sessions so far, and the party just learned about the half-merman and lacedon lairs under the town of Ysbrough, found a temple of Dagon, killed a suitor of the princess for the king and their norse fighter is getting ready to fight in the arena of the Tired Merchant inn.

am181d

Adventurer
I used the reprints for a 1e game at GenCon, but now they're collecting dust.

As a side note: There's a very funny typo in the Psionics table in the back of the PHB that doesn't appear in the original volume.

Mallus

Legend
I've been running AD&D using the original three books + Unearthed Arcana for just over a year now.

One PC has already changed sex thanks to a cursed magical mask (which also turned him into a would-be serial killer of orphans, also, a healer of the blind). Another PC has the soul of an ancient Dragonborn inventor stuck in him, plus a few odd high-tech items, like a Gravatic Staff and a "Walking Chair".

The swashbuckling caveman has acquired a magic sword, an 11-year old paladin sidekick, and rescued a moose who's really a reincarnated, philandering Grand Druid.

The party magic-user just cast his first fireball, setting a neighborhood on fire, in addition to a brother and sister pair of slavers. He's now wearing the brother's Ring of Shooting Stars. I'm sure more property damage will ensue.

Oh, and the group as a whole has pissed off an embassy full of elves. Campaign's going fine!

Last edited:

Libramarian

Adventurer
Campaign's going fine!
Absolutely :D

I'm also using original copies, not the reprints. I was wondering whether the reprints would lead to a bunch of newer players trying 1e for the first time, but I guess that isn't likely given their rather high price.

I've been running a module-based campaign since March. We used U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh combined with L1 Secret of Bone Hill, and then the party took their hijacked pirate ship to X1 the Isle of Dread, to which I added I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City and C1 Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan for good measure. The PCs are level 5/6 now (1e is not really a slow-levelling system at all if you use XP for GP, and the treasure amounts typical of early modules).

I've been consciously focusing on the "game" aspect with this campaign, and it's been a lot of fun. One of my players has actually said that it's the most "addicting" D&D campaign he's ever played. He really digs his Ring of Elemental Command (Air) that allows his character to turn invisible, control the winds and fly around at will.

Treebore

First Post
I have the reprints, but use my originals. Since I bought the reprints to give me usable copies for the next 30+ years seems silly to start wearing them out any sooner than I have to.

Bathnor

First Post
I am going to be running the Bloodstone Pass series of adventures with them. We will start once our current DM finished running through Expedition to the Demonweb Pits.

grodog

Hero
I just rec'd the reprints today (in trade for some JG and TSR modules), and am going to enjoy opening them, one at a time, over each of the next three nights :D

Remove ads