• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is Anyone Unhappy About Non-LG Paladins?

Are you unhappy about non-LG paladins?

• No; in fact, it's a major selling point!

Votes: 98 20.5%
  • No; in fact, it's a minor selling point.

Votes: 152 31.7%
  • I don't care either way.

Votes: 115 24.0%
  • Yes; and it's a minor strike against 5e.

Votes: 78 16.3%
  • Yes; and it's a major strike against 5e!

Votes: 18 3.8%
  • My paladin uses a Motorola phone.

Votes: 18 3.8%

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
Huh? Since when are clerics paragons of chivalric virtue? Certain clerics could be, such as those of Heironeous, but clerics of Beory? Lirr? Zilchus? I am having a difficult time understanding which definition of chivalric their clerics fall under!

pemerton is talking about the original cleric--the one from the first three books, before Gods, Demi-Gods & Heroes introduced polytheism into D&D. (Although I suppose a case could be made that polytheism first really shows up mechanically with the druid. Was that Blackmoor or Eldritch Wizardry?)

As I mentioned, the cleric's evolved to keep with D&D's Relativistic/Balance-Focused Symbiotic Henotheism model of religion, while the paladin's lagged behind. Personally, I'd scrap the cleric, introduce a 'White Mage" to take over the healing/abjurist role, let the paladin be the Champion of a cause (which can be as religious as the group wants), and follow 5E even further in making Priest a background or set of backgrounds that groups can adopt, change or abandon as they please. But I'm a radical that way. :)

On the paladins vs. clerics identity, there exists a really simple way of dealing with it, although a lot of people don't choose to use it (and shouldn't be forced to): Clerics are priests; paladins are (holy) knights. That's it.

If you define cleric=priest and priest=cleric, you're done. Problem solved. That's about how I do it in my game. All priests are either clerics or druids. Sure, there are lesser orders of clergy (and paladins could be said to belong to them) which non-clerics can belong to, but that's not the general rule.

I'm actually a fun of the way 4e did it, that once you got your divine powers you had them, and you weren't directly dependent on a deity for them anymore. So, for instance, your deity can't really just deny you your daily spells. He can send a celestial servant to lecture (or punish) you if you've really ticked him off and want to keep representing him. This also allows for various degrees of involvement of deities. Some can be distant, some can be watchful. However, I do like some sort of non-punitive (IMO) mechanical consequences where appropriate.

Restricting a fallen cleric's ability to advance levels in his class unless he changes to another deity is one method of dealing with such situations. Another way is to simply say his powers are now coming from another deity, which might mean his domain changes (if strictly necessary). If the DM uses this sort of technique, he needs to provide in-world warning to the character that his deity is displeased with his actions, or out of character explanation that if you aren't following your deity's tenets, your powers might start coming from another source when you level up and your domain might be switched.

In the case of a paladin, I would definitely take the angle above. If a paladin falls from his ideals far enough, his subclass changes to an oath more appropriate to his current behavior. I'd work with the player to decide how he'd like this represented in game. He might want it to be chosen by the paladin (and a new oath formally sworn) or he might want it to happen "by accident" with the character not even realizing it until his powers start to change.

In either case, I'd let the group know up front that this stuff happens. Pick an oath or a deity/domain that fits your character, because they are more than just a package of cool powers. If your actions change too far from your subclass, you'll get a different set of cool powers. I don't consider it punitive to simply change their powers to fit their role-playing. It's just not my game style to make mechanics completely separate from fluff, and as long as the players understand that at the get go, and have some understanding of what the tenets are of the different subclasses or deities, it seems childish for them to complain unless I'm being a real jerk about my interpretations and not foreshadowing an potential change.

But to be devoted to a cause, you are following a set of rules, rules define a cause. You can't have a cause without having a set of rules that tell you how to act to achieve the cause. Rules are another term for Laws.

Not exactly. A cause or principle need not have overt rules. "Love conquers all," "everyone is born free" and or even "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" are chaotic-ish causes and principles that lack a defined set of rules for how to go about pursuing them.

Show me the sidebar in the DMG where not murdering defensely kobold children with Divine Smite despite your paladin's vow of Justice prohibiting killing the weak, has a mechanical impact, and we'll talk.

Until then, in 5th ed, one needs to houserule good = good, because otherwise evil = good or whatever else you get away with.

I've seen several selfish murder hobo paladins in Encounters. Having no rule to support your vows is akin to giving players free reign to demand that for RAW-aligned DMs, there is no such thing as good and evil, lawful or chaotic, because even if there were, there is no mechanical repercussion for a paladin acting CE despite having LG on his sheet. There isn't even a way for a DM to alter alignment based on their character's actions. That is totally absurd and ridiculous. Alignment is a mere suggestion, of course, because the designers have decided that morality doesn't actually exist. That's a strong statement and one shared by many intellectuals. If so, why have alignment at all? Why have Oaths if you can violate them willy nilly? Why design a class based on receiving different abilties based on a divine oath or other, when there is zero reason for a character to actually follow that Oath? I could play an Oath of Vengeance paladin, who is un-vengeful in the extreme. Is that good roleplaying? Is ignoring the "flavor text" of 9/10th of the class description a good reason to spend pages and pages and hours and hours designing it?

I submit to you that it's not only unreasonable to have a class based on Oaths without consequences for violating them, but it's completely unreasonable to have any form of alignment mentioned anywhere in the PHB if there is no mechanical support. It is just fluff. I don't need a PHB to tell me what good or evil is, what a lawful character is. If I did, I would want to know why I can pick a class that used to be based on having a certain alignment no longer requires an alignment, and what it means, if anything, to have taken an Oath of Whatever when there is "whatever" shoulder shrug response from the DM when your character is the most selfish and petty at the table. I've seen it quite a bit.

Paladin players are the trolls of D&D. They want those kewl abilities but no penalties for hitting below the belt. They want to swagger in to town as the hero on shining armor after having acquired their celestial mount as a result of murdering a bunch of defenseless captives who had surrendered. This is the kind of game they've created here.

I simply can't play a class that's so ill suited to D&D. You need mechanics for alignment if you build an alignment based class. Perhaps one for each alignment, fine, but there should be an LG paladin who loses his powers if he commits an evil act, in D&D.

I bet they won't even have that in the DMG as an option. It seems we have options for mages to fuel their spells in various ways, but paladins can't actually have their code of ethics be supported by the rules.

I'm not impressed by some munchkin who has a level 9 paladin that he got there by chasing loot and acting cowardly or selfishly. D&D Next is supposed to be supporting parties consisting of characters of various levels within the same group, so if there are two paladins, both LG on paper, and one plays him like a real scum bag, but the other plays him well, I expect one to advance faster than the other.

The only thing I find really surprising is that on a website dedicated to roleplaying, that the idea that good roleplaying would be rewarded in the rules and bad roleplaying penalized, is the least bit controversial. Games have reward conditions for playing them well and fail conditions for playing them badly. A roleplaying game with no rewards or penalties for good/bad roleplaying is simply poorly designed.

The original D&D was exquisitely designed compared to some of this modern stuff. By the time the DMG comes out, I won't be surprised if there's just a sidebar for atonement, or even none, because of all the murder hobo / moral relativism the designers read about on the forums. D&D without alignment is less D&D than it should be, it's missing its heart and soul. Paladin atonement being present or absent, I've noticed is a fair indicator of what type of players will play the game, and as a result, what kind of tables where I will inevitably be seated with greedy paladin murder hobos where the DM can't sanction them directly via their god because they are prohibited by organized play rules to roleplay the paladin's god effectively. The quickest and simplest way for deity to sanction their errant knights is to ex-communicate them, or keep the ever-present threat of ex-communication looming over their every move. In practice, this is how real morality often plays out. And in the end, I don't really care if a paladin acts good because they are inherently good or because they are obeying their deity's dictates, what I care about is that I'm not stuck in a group with a sadistic murderer in shining armor who absurdly gets rewarded with such supernatural and divine abilities like "detect evil" or laying on hands (when the last 5 times it was used was to sustain some kind of evil act or its aftermath).

This is a pretty well-reasoned response. I think the sort of possibilities I mentioned earlier do a pretty good job of taking an inclusive approach.

1. Here's what it means to be devoted to this deity, or domain, or paladin oath.
2. If you fall from that devotion, your subclass will switch to represent one that best fits your new behavior.
3. You won't lose overall power, you'll simple gain a different set of powers associated with your new character concept.
4. We'll work together to determine how this is reflected in the game world.

It basically tells a player that they have to play a character within certain boundaries or goals if they want the powers associated with those goals, but if they change their mind they can switch to another set of powers and goals.

Emerikol

Adventurer
It's a minor negative for me but for a special reason. I prefer the NAME Paladin to be reserved for LG but I am totally open to other champions of alignment to be given alternate names. If you are going to make a generic class then Paladin is not a good name for it. You might argue any good alignment but no way is an evil character a "paladin".

skydreamz

First Post
I think Paladin should better be the same alignment as his/her deity. So an LG Paladin would serve LG deity, CG Paladin serving CG deity, and so on.
One exception would be the Neutral Paladin, since.. why would a neutral deity has Paladins? Whom are they going to fight with?

jsaving

Adventurer
Does the OP mean:

1) Is anyone unhappy that paladins can be any alignment?

or

2) Is anyone unhappy that paladins can have any code of conduct?

If #1, then my answer is no, because I've long felt it would be possible to follow the traditional paladin behavioral code (alignment restriction excepted) while being one or in rare cases two 'steps' away from LG. This would also in my view rationalize the 3e setup under which deities who are one (Helm) or in rare cases two (Selune) 'steps' away from LG give special powers to some of their followers, on condition that those followers not adopt the deity's own alignment but instead remain LG.

If #2 then my answer is yes, because the traditional behavioral code is the main reason to include the paladin as a separate class rather than simply telling people to play a fighter/cleric if they want a divinely powered warrior. (Or alternatively, a code-less paladin could simply be made a subclass of fighter or cleric.)

Chaltab

Adventurer
I think Paladin should better be the same alignment as his/her deity. So an LG Paladin would serve LG deity, CG Paladin serving CG deity, and so on.
One exception would be the Neutral Paladin, since.. why would a neutral deity has Paladins? Whom are they going to fight with?
Well you have, say Ioun, who cares deeply about knowledge despite being Unaligned. Her Paladins would fight ignorance and the forces trying to spread it, which might include servants of Chaotic Evil just as well as a Lawful Good organization trying to horde knowledge to keep it out of 'the wrong hands'.

I submit to you that it's not only unreasonable to have a class based on Oaths without consequences for violating them, but it's completely unreasonable to have any form of alignment mentioned anywhere in the PHB if there is no mechanical support. It is just fluff. I don't need a PHB to tell me what good or evil is, what a lawful character is. If I did, I would want to know why I can pick a class that used to be based on having a certain alignment no longer requires an alignment, and what it means, if anything, to have taken an Oath of Whatever when there is "whatever" shoulder shrug response from the DM when your character is the most selfish and petty at the table. I've seen it quite a bit.

Paladin players are the trolls of D&D. They want those kewl abilities but no penalties for hitting below the belt. They want to swagger in to town as the hero on shining armor after having acquired their celestial mount as a result of murdering a bunch of defenseless captives who had surrendered. This is the kind of game they've created here.

I simply can't play a class that's so ill suited to D&D. You need mechanics for alignment if you build an alignment based class. Perhaps one for each alignment, fine, but there should be an LG paladin who loses his powers if he commits an evil act, in D&D.

I bet they won't even have that in the DMG as an option. It seems we have options for mages to fuel their spells in various ways, but paladins can't actually have their code of ethics be supported by the rules.

I'm not impressed by some munchkin who has a level 9 paladin that he got there by chasing loot and acting cowardly or selfishly. D&D Next is supposed to be supporting parties consisting of characters of various levels within the same group, so if there are two paladins, both LG on paper, and one plays him like a real scum bag, but the other plays him well, I expect one to advance faster than the other.
This is where your logic falls apart. Paladins haven't been 'Fighters, plus Divine Powers' in a long time. Paladins are a core separate class and have been since 3rd edition. Slowing their progression or taking away their powers for 'cutting corners' isn't carrot and stick, it's just stick. As long as Paladins are a seperate class then their powers are part of their design and level progression.

Now, if a Paladin of one alignment is constnatly acting contrary to their gods' commands then yes, that should be addressed. First, figure out if it's something on the player end or the character end. If the player is cutting corners because he doesn't want to follow the oath, then that should be addressed outside of the game. Tell him to either quit playing OOC or to pick a new character concept because Paladin isn't working for him.

If the player is intentionally playing against his god's alignment and aware of it, then work with him to reflect that in the game world. Perhaps eventually his god gives him an ultimatium: either start acting like you represent me or find a new patron. The point is to work with the player instead of assuming they're being a munchkin. If you have players constantly trying to game the system then the problem isn't the rules, it's the players.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
pemerton is talking about the original cleric--the one from the first three books, before Gods, Demi-Gods & Heroes introduced polytheism into D&D. (Although I suppose a case could be made that polytheism first really shows up mechanically with the druid. Was that Blackmoor or Eldritch Wizardry?)

Ah! So to follow [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s logic... EGG decided clerics cannot fight with edged weapons because of old stories he read about Archbishop Turpin who was a member of the Twelve Peers who are also known as Paladins, hence Clerics are Paladins?

Ruzak

First Post
I guess I think of clerics as thinkers & paladins as doers. Clerics ponder the theological ramifications of their actions, and so may stray from the teachings of their faith when their conscious dictates. Paladins instead rely on a rigid code, since they lack the deep understanding of the cleric. While no less pious, they must act within this code. This is why I personally like the lawful restriction.

pemerton

Legend
Ah! So to follow [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s logic... EGG decided clerics cannot fight with edged weapons because of old stories he read about Archbishop Turpin who was a member of the Twelve Peers who are also known as Paladins, hence Clerics are Paladins?
Gygax, in his PHB, explains clerics as inspired by the military orders of the Crusades.

As is shown by my post upthread from St Bernard of Clairvaux - who was one of the authors of the Templar rule - the self-conception of these military orders was as paragons of Christian knighthood.

The paladin is a mechanical interpretation of those ideals of Christain knighthood one finds in the Arthurian and Carolingian romances.

In other words, they are the same archetype: heavy armour; heavy weapons; able to work miracles, including healing with a touch; servants of the divinity, who give expression to the divine providence.

The differences are mechanical, not archetypical. For instance, LoH is a different mechanic from Cure Light Wounds; and casting a Protection from Evil spell is a different mechanic from the paladin's aura of protection; but they are not different in underlying thematic or story terms. Even up to the late 70s, it is quite common to see an evil cleric in an adventure or magazine article described as an "anti-cleric" (just as evil "paladins" are called anti-paladins).

[MENTION=4086]Matthew L. Martin[/MENTION] has (correctly, in my view) noted a tension between the D&D cleric, and D&D polytheism. The AD&D 2nd ed idea of the specialty priest - who does not necessarily turn undead, nor heal with a touch, nor bear the arms and armour of a knight - was one attempt to resolve the issue but - as [MENTION=61050]LFK[/MENTION] has noted upthread - this doesn't really leave much conceptual space for the paladin.

Remove ads