• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is Awakened Mind a psionic ability?

Herosmith14

First Post
So, I'm occasionally tapped as fill-in DM for my local shared campaign, and as such, I like to have modules ready to run. As our thing isn't really AL, and I honestly don't like using official adventures, I right my own modules, and was thinking of writing up a second backup should my DM job suddenly get sprung.

Part of this comes from me browsing through MToF, and glancing at the Greater Silver Sword again. This time, however, I noticed the attunement restriction, and that made me inspired.

The GSS is a broken item for where out party is at level wise, but with the attunement being restricted to things with psionic ability, NONE OF THEM COULD USE IT AND I COULD USE IT AS A PLOT PIECE!!!

I started thinking about ways I could do this, and figured out a whole outline for the story, the boss, why the GSS was important, a real nice piece of work, then I remembered something. One of our regulars is a GOOlock. That could be an issue, depending on whether you count their abilities as psionic. While the theming of warlocks on whole is "dark magic," GOO in particular seems to focus on psychic shinnanigans and other things that could be considered psionic. So, is it?

I only ask, because while they are somewhat respectable and moral, our usual player turnout tends to lean a little toward murderhobo, and they could definitely take the GSS wielder.

Anyway, what do you think of this?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
AFAIK a ability is considered psionic only if it is labeled psionic. Awakened Mind is not.

Psionics
A monster that casts spells using only the power of its mind has the psionics tag added to its Spellcasting or Innate Spellcasting special trait.

Remove ads