• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is caster of spell an ally?

TessarrianDM

First Post
If a spell says that it effects "Allies in a x radius", does the spell affect the caster if the caster is within the area of effect? I know there are some spells that specify "The caster and all allies" such as Bless. Several spells in the Spell Compendium, however, do not specifically include the caster, but are similar in their effects to the Bless spell (such as Recitation). Would (or should) the caster be included?

Zurai

First Post
Generally speaking, if a spell or ability refers to "all allies", the provider of the ability gains the benefit as well. If it refers to "an ally" or a certain number of allies, generally the provider of the ability is excluded.

I don't believe that either of those are written into the RAW anywhere (though Hyp can probably find a source), but that's generally how both the FAQ and the Sage rule.

NightCrawler

First Post
Zurai said:
Generally speaking, if a spell or ability refers to "all allies", the provider of the ability gains the benefit as well. If it refers to "an ally" or a certain number of allies, generally the provider of the ability is excluded.

Zurai is right!! Only when says ''allies'' (plural) the caster takes the benefit... Otherwize when saying ''ally'' (singular) it reffers to your teammates...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Inspire Courage states: A bard with 3 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use song or poetics to inspire courage in his allies (including himself), bolstering them against fear and improving their combat abilities.

Note that "his allies" includes himself, rather than himself being in-addition-to his allies.

-Hyp.

TessarrianDM

First Post
So, in regards to the Recitation spell, the caster automatically gets the +3 bonus because he "worship(s) the same deity as you (himself)"?

the Jester

Legend
TessarrianDM said:
So, in regards to the Recitation spell, the caster automatically gets the +3 bonus because he "worship(s) the same deity as you (himself)"?

Yep.

In addition, in 2ed, recitation affected both the caster and his allies. Precedence may not count for much with a lot of people, but it does with me. :)

wildstarsreach

First Post
Zurai said:

I don't believe that either of those are written into the RAW anywhere (though Hyp can probably find a source), but that's generally how both the FAQ and the Sage rule.

I disagree. It says allies. You are not your own ally. If it was meant for you to get the benefit, then it would say so in the description. Or it would have said something like target(s).

Zurai

First Post
wildstarsreach said:
I disagree. It says allies. You are not your own ally. If it was meant for you to get the benefit, then it would say so in the description. Or it would have said something like target(s).

Disagree all you like. It's how WotC has ruled consistently. As a matter of fact, they have ruled explicitly that "You are your own ally".

Infiniti2000

First Post
wildstarsreach said:
In point of fact, the rules explicitly say that you are your own ally. Most people miss the glossary as part of the rules (or don't count it for some strange reason). The definition here is:

on-line glossary said:
ally

A creature friendly to you. In most cases, references to "allies" include yourself.

Remove ads