Is casting a spell with the Evil descriptor an Evil act?

Kurotowa

Legend
Using an [Evil] spell is not by definition an evil act. It is often an evil act because many [Evil] spells have vile purposes. But the [Evil] tag describes the spell's own nature, not the nature of its use. There is nothing innately evil about casting Deathwatch or Protection from Good. They can be used for evil, and heavy use of [Evil] spells should be grounds for considering an alignment shift, but it isn't automatically so.

Aaron L

Hero
Kurotowa said:
Using an [Evil] spell is not by definition an evil act. It is often an evil act because many [Evil] spells have vile purposes. But the [Evil] tag describes the spell's own nature, not the nature of its use. There is nothing innately evil about casting Deathwatch or Protection from Good. They can be used for evil, and heavy use of [Evil] spells should be grounds for considering an alignment shift, but it isn't automatically so.

So, the spell itself is Evil, but casting it isn't?

I fail to see the logic in that.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Well the Book of Vile Darkness says this on [Evil] spells: "Tapping into evil power is an evil act in and of itself, no matter what the effects or the reason for using the power might be."

So using an [evil] spell is an evil act.

Kurotowa

Legend
Crothian said:
Who's definition is this? Since when is evil not evil in D&D? :lol:

Because evil the alignment action is not the same as [Evil] the spell descriptor. They're similar but not the same thing. [Evil] is a spell quality, evil is not.

Look at it this way. Magic Circle Against Evil has the [Good] descriptor. But an infernalist wizard will be casting it all the time as he summons and binds evil creatures. Can you really claim that the inferlanist is engaged in frequent good acts as part of this?

Crothian

First Post
Kurotowa said:
Because evil the alignment action is not the same as [Evil] the spell descriptor. They're similar but not the same thing. [Evil] is a spell quality, evil is not.

I'm not saying that a single casting will turn the person evil, I'm saying using the spell is an evil act. The descriptor means something to me. The brackets don't mean anything.

Look at it this way. Magic Circle Against Evil has the [Good] descriptor. But an infernalist wizard will be casting it all the time as he summons and binds evil creatures. Can you really claim that the inferlanist is engaged in frequent good acts as part of this?

Casting the spell is good. Now after the spell is cast he might be doing evil, but that doesn't matter. The spell doesn't look at what is being done or how it is being used; it is just always good.

Dross

Explorer
isoChron said:
Maybe they meant use drug on other people, so they become dependend and willing to do what they normally would not.

So buying other people alcohol is an evil act? :confused:

Man, I am SSOOOO evil. :lol:

Aaron L

Hero
Watch out for that guy at the bar who seems nice buying everyone rounds of drinks! He's an Evil bastard.

The absurdity of poorly thought out rules made for the morally uptight can be astounding.

I can only believe that drug use was declared Evil in the BoVD because of a command from the higher ups so some idiot didn't read the book and decide D&D promotes drug use because it didn't say it was evil.

Us poor smokers. We're all hopelessly Evil. No hope for us at all. Every cigarette is an Evil act. One carton of Lucky Strikes and you're pretty much a Pit Fiend. Might as well give in and go out slaughtering babies.

Remove ads