• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is CoCd20 subject to the OGL?

Eben

First Post
I don't mind Chaosium being the only one to have the rights to support d20CoC, but it would be nice if they would take the system serious.
I have no problem with the pulp genre (Blood Brothers was great!), but I can't understand why this woudl be the only support they give to this product. Why not support the system for the whole line. They publish fantstic material: Dark designs, unseen masters, horror on the orient expres, ...

Ranger REG

Explorer
Maybe because they want to do it right (which would be a first) by starting off with one setting at a time, rather than spread themselves out trying to cover every aspects simultaneously. Who knows? Maybe if you keep asking them, they'll do the dual-statting of their CoC supplement.

CORRECTION: Maybe if a lot of people keep asking, they may do a different CoC setting.

Last edited:

Dan Stack

First Post
Hey, lets tell them we want to have Redgar fight Cthulhu in a steel cage! :D

Didn't mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist in my posting, more curious which direction they plan on going. Unlike a lot of games which have been d20ized, Call of Cthulhu's system has a ton of history, being almost as old as the original D&D rules.

Eben

First Post
Aren't the original Runequest rules older?
I'm probably confusing something.

From a consumers point of view, I think it would be interesting to see third party publishers do something with CoC.
It's too bad at least some of the stuff isn't OGL. The Lovecraftian era is great for horror adventure.
There used to be a great French RPG: "Chimères" that was set in the same era. I'm still sorry I didn't get to play that. An expantion of the OGL content might revitalize great stuff like this.

If wishes were horses...

Dan Stack

First Post
I'm pretty sure Runequest is a year or two older than Call of Cthulhu (but I believe it came out after D&D), with Call of Cthulhu, Pendragon, and Elfquest being based off of it. It may have been the first skill based rpg system, unless Traveller came out first...

Chaosium is apparently letting others play with d20 Cthulhu - the next version of Pagan Publishing's Delta Green will be for both Classic and d20 Cthulhu (there was much rejoicing... ;))

Remove ads