• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is D&D Your Favorite RPG?

Is D&D Your Favorite RPG?

• Yes

Votes: 238 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 200 45.7%

Wik

First Post
hell yeah!

Sanguinemetaldawn said:
As a DM, I feel like I am constantly fighting the system to run a fun game. And the people in my playing groups say I am their favorite DM. This puts me in the bizarre position of being the favorite DM of everyone who plays 3E D&D as I run a game for them that I hate.

I absolutely agree with that. I've found that, since I've been playing 3.5 regularly, my adventures have turned more into tactical exercises and number-crunching than role-playing. It actually took conscious effort on my part to turn that around, but once I did, the experience was a lot more, well, fun.

Anyways, to answer the question, I'm not entirely sure. I'd probably have to say the d6 Star Wars system is my favourite, since it's by far the least "painful" to DM for - the rules are incredibly easy to run, and they encourage a cinematic feel that plays fairly well. But I also love running d20 Call of Cthulu, which is obviously based off D&D rules...

I love D&D, that's for sure. There are a lot of things about it that I hate (how it's very hard to make it into a low-magic game, how the systems are so integrated that if you wanted to make a game with no magical items it would completely change the CR system of the game, etc...), but all in all, I'd say it's easily #2 on the list, if not #1.

I mean, there's so much about D&D to love. Think about it. It's an "open" game, so you and me could make money writing for it. There's a HUGE number of products and support out there for the game, which is great (even if that has the side-effect of focusing the players on the rules of the game overmuch). The system is uniform, so it's easy to learn the basics (not like in, say, AD&D, where the common question was "Do I want to roll low or high on this? Why is a high THAC0 and AC bad?" or somesuch).

The Green Adam

First Post
It holds a special place in my heart...

But D&D is by no means my favorite.

My favorite game system is Mutants & Masterminds at present, though my favorite game of all is Last Unicorn Games' ICON system Star Trek Role Playing.

Star Trek is my fave partially because its a great game, partially because its Star Trek (which I love) and partially because I was a playtester and a writer on one of the supplements. :eek:

I think my other all time favorite is the original Star Wars D6 system by WEG. I just know it so well, its really simple, very fast and flexible and all the members of my group get it too.

AD

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
It's my favorite Fantasy RPG, but considering that my favorite RPG genres are Horror and Sci-Fi, no, D&D is not my favorite RPG.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Define D&D. Do you mean any edition of D&D? What about D20 variants (including D20 Modern, True20, etc.)? If the answer to those questions is yes, then my answer is yes, without a doubt.

Psion

Adventurer
What is with all the bumping old polls?

Some of my answers to some of these questions have changed over the years, but it's stuck.

It's really better to start a new thread than bump one that has lain dormant for 2+ years.

Caedrus

Explorer
Savage Worlds for a rules system. Adventures and campaign settings from D&D are great to steal from, though. I am looking at starting a Savage Eberron campaign and am very excited to see how these two mesh.

Remove ads