• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is D20SRD.org a safe site?

I use D20SRD.org all the time to look up D&D 3.5e Core Rules. I have all the books, but it's quicker and easier to be able to search and cut and paste rules as I'm working to prep (and in my email game).

However, Windows Defender detected twice it was trying to download something that it thinks is malicious.

Does anyone know if D20SRD.org is a problem site? If so, is there a safe alternative? I get a 404 error looking up 3.5 rules on Wizard's site.

houser2112

Explorer
I've never had that problem with it, even just now on my work computer (and my company is very strict about what sites it will allow me to visit; Reddit is banned).

S

Sunseeker

There are some bad ads on the site. I suggest never visiting it without an adblocker/scriptblocker.

CapnZapp

Legend
My personal opinion follows:

What does not make sense, is surfing the Web without an ad-blocker.

Malicious ads are way too common nowadays for anyone to support a site by letting ads through: that method of monetization is effectively destroyed.

There are some attempts at blocking ad-blockers. That approach is doomed. A site that tries to force me to open myself up to malware could just as well close down permanently, as far as I'm concerned.

Community support (and Patreon etc) seems to still pass the risk-benefit analysis, though I'm not sure for how long...

Chaimdall

First Post
What does not make sense, is surfing the Web without an ad-blocker.
Malicious ads are way too common nowadays for anyone to support a site by letting ads through: that method of monetization is effectively destroyed.

There are some attempts at blocking ad-blockers. That approach is doomed. A site that tries to force me to open myself up to malware could just as well close down permanently, as far as I'm concerned.

Oh gosh yes.

Remove ads