• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is DDO worth it?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
In a conversation I had with my parents MMORPGS came up and I told them about DDO, WOW and EQ2. So in an effort to expand my pursuit of happiness they are offering to foot the monthly bill for one MMORPG.

I'd love it to be DDO, but I'm not sure of it. Tell me everything you know about it and don't worry about giving me spoilers.

TogaMario

First Post
I alpha and beta tested it, and that was enough for me to not buy it when it came out. It's got it's fun little moments, but to me it's most certainly lacking a lot of fundamental design for fun and I don't enjoy the setting that much. Looks pretty, though, lol. Of all the MMOs I've ever played (The Realm, UO, EQ, EQII, CoH, CoV, Asheron's Call, SWG, WoW), I like WoW the most. Of course, different strokes, as I'm sure there are plenty that like the others more, but as a game designer and artist, I find WoW to be the most bang for my buck.

I was in the DDO beta, but I disliked the game so much that I didn't even play it for free.

I can't speak to what changes have ben made to it since release, however.

Cabled

First Post
Well...

Here's another vote from someone who was in the Beta, and that was enough to put me off the game. It may have improved since release, I don't know. The best advice I can give about it is to approach it as a game that has a lot of D&D'isms in it, but it's not D&D. Turbine made the comment at one point that they had found a way to translate the "turn based" nature of D&D into a real time environment. My opinion , at the time of beta, is that they were not successful.

physicscarp

Explorer
If I recall correctly, you can go to the DDO site and download a 10-day free trial. I've done it twice, and found that it was a fun game. It certainly isn't a big exploratory game though. Instead, it is DUNGEONS and Dragons (notice the emphasis on dungeons). The game seemed to be centered on exploring dungeons, killing monsters and taking their loot. Their were a few puzzles and the option to run the dungeon solo (for lesser rewards) or with a group (for greater rewards) was a cool touch. I'd certainly try it out before you decide on it.

Have you thought about any other MMO's?

Falchieyan

First Post
DDO would make an excellent single-player or co-op game. Some of the mission structures and storylines are really interesting the first time through, but having to repeat the same handful of missions over and over to level and get better equipment really drains the life out of everything. Not to mention the fact that you have to do them thrice over if you make more than one character, as the lack of variety in starting areas means that everyone has to go through the same missions to get anywhere.

I've played pretty much every MMO to come out, and they all have one thing in common (at least for me).

They're the most fun when they are young. (Ok, that sounds a little perverted). But what I mean is that after a while, the bulk of the players are so experienced and jaded that they leach the sense of wonder and discovery out of the game. They know the optimal ways to do everything, they know where everything is, all the tricks and exploits, etc. When a game is first released, you stand a much better chance of playing with people that are discovering it for the first time along with you. Much harder and less 'efficient' but a darn sight more fun.

DDO was the same way, but the nature of the game caused that sense of wonder to wear off a little quicker, for me. It was an absolute blast early on. One night, Wulf Ratbane and I were exploring a fairly long dungeon that was designed for a full party. We were in over our heads, but through caution and good tactics, we managed to prevail over the course of several hours. It was absolutely some of the most fun I've ever had in an RPG, computer or otherwise. The underground realm felt real and spooky, and the constant threat of death kept the tension higher than usual for a computer game. Fast forward a few weeks, and we're zooming through that same dungeon at light speed. DDO pretty much required you to repeat quests several times to get enough XP to level. That's gotten better with the addition of new content, but still a problem.

DDO can be a lot of fun if you can get a few people that haven't played before to group up with you and play it as a party. But at this point, if you start by yourself, you're going to be grouping with people that are starting their fifth or sixth character, and who know everything by heart. Unless they are ready to indulge a newbie and let you discover things at a normal pace, you'll likely find yourself zerging through stuff so fast you don't get to really have fun. In addition, at most levels there are going to be some quests that are just better than others in terms of reward (XP, loot, or both). Those quests you'll always be able to find people to play with, but some of the 'weaker' quests you may never get to do, as its hard to find groups to run them with, and you eventually level past the point where you want to do that quest at all.

Be aware, too, that nearly all MMOs require a hefty time commitment to get the most out of them, and that most are poorly suited to solo play. Look around, though, because most of them that have been out for a while have free trial offers that will let you taste a bit before buying, and that will also let you see if your PC and internet connection are up to the task, as these games can be quite demanding.

DonTadow

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
I've played pretty much every MMO to come out, and they all have one thing in common (at least for me).

They're the most fun when they are young.
Very Very true. The thing that kills mmorpgs for me is the lack of a new experience. I'd love for them to figure out how to create self-generating dungeons. They'd probably have to knock the graphics down a bit but i wouldnt care, just knowing everyones on the same playing field would be nice.

D&D is a turn-based RPG. It was born that way, is that way now, and will undoubtedly die that way. IMO, any interpretation of it that is then NOT turn-based will fail to capture the same feel as the REAL rpg of D&D does and thus fail to succeed.

What they did with DDO is try to turn a turn-based, REAL rpg into a MMO "rpg" that plays in basic respects just like any other MMORPG. What this means is that it completely kills the true interactivity of the game of D&D that is the CORE of its appeal. The interactivity between the DM and players MUST be sacrificed to make it MASSIVELY multiplayer. At that point there is little reason to try to retain much - if ANY - of the combat and task resolution systems that D&D uses in its turn-based rules. To do so only invites suckage. And IMO that is what they got.

First, biggest screwup? For all practical purposes it can't be played solo, without a party/team. You can't just log on wherever you were in the world when you logged off and without jumping through hoops kill orcs for an hour before dinner as most any other MMO would allow. And because it IS based so heavily on D&D rules tropes playing solo at any given point is about as much fun as... playing REAL D&D solo - without a DM.

If they wanted an MMO, they should have just taken Eberron as a setting and freaking made an MMO IN ITS OWN RIGHT - not an MMO that uses D&D rules which SUCK for use on a MASSIVE multiplayer, real-time scale.

Taken ONLY in its own right, maybe it's not bad as such. But compared to real D&D it sucks. Compared to other MMO's it sucks. Not golf-ball-thru-garden-hose suckage by any means, but suckage nonetheless.

JMO after playing it for about a week.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads