• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is elven chain masterwork?

Legildur

First Post
I remember that there was significant debate in 3.0E about the masterwork status of non-magical mithral and adamantine armors. Has this been clarified in 3.5E?

More specifically, is non-magical elven chain (with a -2 armor check penalty) already of masterwork quality?

Or would a magical suit have a -1 armor check penalty?

Olive

Explorer
Tho the idea of being able to create masterwork elven chain for the standard price increase seems a bit wierd...

dcollins

Explorer
From the 3.5 SRD (basically same as 3.0 rules):

Weapons or armors fashioned from mithral are always masterwork items as well; the masterwork cost is included in the prices given below.

This doesn't improve the armor check situation any more than the already specified number for the mithril. I interpret this to say the armor can be enchanted without any further crafting work necessary.

So yes, elven chain is masterwork. Nonmagical and +1 elven chain both have an armor check penalty of -2.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
dcollins said:
From the 3.5 SRD (basically same as 3.0 rules):

Significantly changed from 3E, actually.

In 3E: Mithral armor takes as long to make as masterwork armor.
In 3.5: Mithral armor is masterwork, and that's why it takes as long to make as it does.

-Hyp.

dcollins

Explorer
Well, I always interpreted it the same, and didn't the Sage issue a clarification to that effect? I agree that narrowly interpreted that's not exactly what the 3.0 text says.

FrankTrollman

First Post
Well, hate to burst the bubble - but the rules for Mithral don't say that the Mithral Bonuses don't stack with the Masterwork Bonuses.

They say that they are always Masterwork as well as Mithral, and that the costs for the masterworking were already included in the listed price.

Two of the Mithral Items don't seem to indicate that the bonuses are stacking - but the material description definately implies that they do.

Actual text:

Weapons or armors fashioned from mithral are always masterwork items as well; the masterwork cost is included in the prices given below.

It never says a word about the masterwork bonuses being included in the Mithral list - only the costs. Costs and bonuses are normally different things - so I predict that there will be rampaging arguments in this edition as well. After all, it literally and directly says something that is completely different than some of the example items in the special material section.

---

On an interesting side note: it costs 300 gp to make a masterwork Halfling's Dagger. It costs 250 gp to make a mithral Halfling's Dagger - the cost of the masterworking is somehow already included in this smaller total.

Discuss.

-Frank

Korin Tempest

First Post
looking at the descriptions of elven chain and regular chainmail, elven chain has an armor check penalty of -2, while regular chain has a penalty of -5.. elven chain is only 3 better (which is the effect of mithral material)... if they stacked, it would be a -1 (being 4 better)... so they don't stack...

just an astute observation :)

Last edited:

Remove ads