• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is Fey Step really the best racial power?

I'm not sure why people are bringing up other racial bonuses/features besides powers in this thread. That is part of the reason some of the powers are flat out better then others, because the race package gives more then just a racial power. But the question wasn't which set of abilities from a race do you like the most. That is a much more in depth discussion.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I've seen Halfling reroll used - kobold hit him with an 18. "Halfling second chance!" - reroll gets a 20! The halfling dodged into a critical hit :)

Elf reroll was used last Sunday - Elf Ranger attempts "Split the Tree" and his two die rolls are 2 and 4. Hmm. Elf Reroll! 20! Doing 24 damage killed both the key foes at that point :)

Boarstorm

First Post
The eladrin wizard in my campaign loves fey step. He uses it to climb stairs in the inn, "hop" over the puddle of mud in the street, etc.

Seriously, if that character existed in the real world, he'd be using fey step to go see what was in the fridge without having to do all that pesky walking.

That said, I think both Elven Accuracy and Second Chance are probably superior powers insofar as combat goes. The fey step is nice, but 5 squares of distance is just setting yourself up to get charged in most situations.

cdrcjsn

First Post
The half elf power is very situational right now, since to make it really effective you'll need an attack stat and an effect that will complement your class.

With that said though, it's still useful and it will only grow more powerful once other classes start coming down the line. If Sorcerer or Bard for example is charisma based, it will give a Fey Warlock or Charisma Paladin Controller or Leader style at-will powers they might otherwise not have access to.

Aloïsius

First Post
I've seen Halfling reroll used - kobold hit him with an 18. "Halfling second chance!" - reroll gets a 20! The halfling dodged into a critical hit :)

Yeah. That's one of the reason why this power sucks. Feystep allow you to teleport over difficult or unreachable terrain, to avoid AoO, and, depending on the battle scene, to bluff your ennemy into thinking that you vanished. Far, far more useful than the "second chance ? yeah, he did hit you too..." unreliable power.

Last edited:

StormCrow42

Explorer
You don't use the halfling power to just dodge a normal hit. You use it to dodge the crit, then if the monster still hits you, you've at least avoided the max damage.

Mort_Q

First Post
I'm not sure why they made the halfling have to use the second roll, when so many other roll twice options allow the PC to use the more favourable of the two.

bluto68

First Post
I actually think the Half-Elf power is outstanding to accomplish it's goal. Half-Elf were built to be Multiclassed, and that power really accents that ability.

Tactical Warlord with Scorchin Burst or Thunderwave.
Wizard with Commander's Strike.
Paladin with Eldritch Blast.

Half-Elves were built to be multi-class and their Racial Power is absolutely awesome for that.

Aloïsius

First Post
You don't use the halfling power to just dodge a normal hit. You use it to dodge the crit, then if the monster still hits you, you've at least avoided the max damage.

I have seen this :

DM : crit !
Halfling : second chance !
DM : normal hit ! And... I made a 8 with the D8.

BTW, you are not critted every encounter. If you keep this power "just in case", you may end up not using it while you should have to.
On the other hand, when you need to teleport, you know it. No need to guess and pray the probability gods.

Remove ads