• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is Forgotten Realms the Default Campaign Setting for 5e?

What is the relationship between Forgotten Realms and Fifth Edition?

• 1. Married. (Forgotten Realms is the OFFICIAL setting of 5e.)

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • 2. Going steady. (Forgotten Realms is the DEFAULT setting of 5e.)

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • 3. Friends with benefits. (Forgotten Realms gets a little something extra, but nothing codified.)

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • 4. High school sweethearts. (Forgotten Realms got the early material, but 5e is movin' on.)

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • 5. One night stand. (5e slept with who?)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 6. "The crows seemed to be calling his name," thought Caw.

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Poll closed .

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I wouldn't say that FR is the official setting, but it definitely seems like an official setting. Others are mentioned, but FR does seem centered. Maybe something like an open marriage? (I didn't vote, and I run exclusively in my own setting, and I genuinely don't care except that I want more stuff that doesn't feel so tied to one specific setting or another because I'm deeply and fundamentally lazy.)

It's the default setting for 5e, but similar to Greyhawk in 3e, that's a terrible fate to suffer. Feels like it's more of an on-off relationship - 5e will sometimes call for D&D and chill, but is more of a casual dating type; at the same time, she's urging FR to dress a bit more generic and drop his eccentric hobbies, so he doesn't stick out so much among her other friends.

Last edited:

The rule system itself does not assume any default setting. But many of the published adventures (especially the early ones) are set in the FR as default.

oreofox

Explorer
It is sadly the default setting when it comes to the adventures, and it does seem to be the same for the books outside of the Big Three (phb, dmg, mm). SCAG is 100% FR, Mordy and Volo's books are 50% FR (all the lore BS shoved into them to pad out that 256 pages...). I think Xan's book doesn't have FR shoved into it. Also, of course, the Ravnica guide isn't FR. I didn't touch Stranger Things or Rick and Morty as they are of no interest to me. Acq Inc is also 100% FR apparently. Don't know as I had 0 interest in that as well. Even Curse of Strahd has Forgotten Realms shoved into it as how the game is recommended to start. Of course, you could ignore that part, so... shrug

As for the Big Three, no. Forgotten Realms isn't shoved into it. I mean, it is, but so are many others. There's mention of Tika from Dragonlance, gods from multiple settings (faerun, grayhawk, dragonlance, numerous real world pantheons). I think Mearls is the correct one on this. Faerun isn't as intertwined with the Big Three as Greyhawk was in 3e (they only had the GH deities listed). Of course, I haven't read any of the lore fluff stuff they include in the MM for 5e, as that doesn't interest me. I run my own setting. Which is why Volo and Mordenkainen's books aren't worth the $50, and honestly aren't worth the $30-something that Amazon charges for them.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I think that from the PHB that it's pretty clear while FR isn't the official setting, it is, or at least was when the PHB got published, the small 'd' default setting.

The PHB includes lots of examples from other settings like Greyhawk and Dragonlance, but I think it does devote more space and effort on FR. I wouldn't call it a default setting though. It's why I went with "Friends with benefits".

I think the statement that the multiverse is the official setting is pretty spot on. It's just that being friends with benefits has... well... benefits.

Another thread, another argument. In effect, the following statement was made:

This, of course, could not stand, and various and sundry opposing armies (consisting, no doubt, of Dragonborn) were mustered to fight over that contention. The following two pieces of evidence were those most clearly adduced:

From Mike Mearls in an interview prior to the release of 5e:

From Jeremy Crawford in a series of tweets in January, 2015:

This has led people to argue that, inter alia, Mearls has said one thing (FR is the setting) and Crawford is saying another thing (it is not).

I disagree. I think that there is a meaningful difference between the following two statements:

1. Forgotten Realms is the default setting in 5e.

True.

2, Forgotten Realms is the official setting in 5e.

False.

I think that this is the point that Mearls was making and that Crawford was trying to make clear (or less clear, depending on how you look at it). 5e does not have a single, unified, official setting. Nor should it. The majority of campaigns that are run are some variety of homebrew, so it would be somewhat foolish to demand an official setting. In addition, one of the core strengths of D&D is the multiplicity of worlds that exist and have been created (or, to put it more crassly, the IP that D&D has developed over the years).

That is why the core books reference multiple worlds and campaigns. See, e.g., the PHB section on the different gods, and the multiple planes and campaign settings. The core books do a wonderful job of introducing the concept of the multiverse. The DMG begins by discussing the multiverse! I would note, however, that many of the samples in the DMG come from ... the FR. Harpers, the Calendar, Evernight, etc.

However, it is also obvious at this point that Forgotten Realms is the default setting of 5e. From the first introduction that many players and DMs receive in Phandelver, you see a FR-centric emphasis. Looking at the APs, you quickly see that every ... single ... AP is published with FR in mind. To publish a module that doesn't have FR in mind (like the two, arguably, that don't ... Saltmarsh and Strahd) is a noteworthy event. Even when collected modules, many of which come from other settings, are published (Yawning Portal) a hook is inserted to make it FR-centric.

Names of expansion books (such as Volo's or Xanathar's) abound with FR-centric tropes. The one that doesn't (MToF) has nothing really that ties it to the campaign setting, and is explicitly about the outer planes.

Famously, DM's Guild only allows for material from accepted sources, including generic D&D and specific campaign settings- which are the campaign settings that have been published and stated with (of course) FR (although expanded to RL, EB, and Ravnica).

And the famous and long-rumored movie, when it comes out, will be set in the FR.

Which goes back to the original issue; FR is the default setting of 5e. Any given material, and given AP, is most likely going to be set in FR, with loose rules for translating it to other settings and/or your home campaign. It is not, however, the official setting.

At least, that's how it seems to me. I've included a poll (because FUN) and y'all can have at it in this thread.

That seems like a reasonable position. It's certainly the default setting and certainly the only consistently supported setting re adventures, lore etc. A few official adventures default to other settings but I believe all have advice for moving them to the FR (please correct me if I'm wrong).

So it's kind of closer to official than default alone might indicate.

It is sadly the default setting when it comes to the adventures, and it does seem to be the same for the books outside of the Big Three (phb, dmg, mm). SCAG is 100% FR, Mordy and Volo's books are 50% FR (all the lore BS shoved into them to pad out that 256 pages...). I think Xan's book doesn't have FR shoved into it. Also, of course, the Ravnica guide isn't FR. I didn't touch Stranger Things or Rick and Morty as they are of no interest to me. Acq Inc is also 100% FR apparently. Don't know as I had 0 interest in that as well. Even Curse of Strahd has Forgotten Realms shoved into it as how the game is recommended to start. Of course, you could ignore that part, so... shrug

As for the Big Three, no. Forgotten Realms isn't shoved into it. I mean, it is, but so are many others. There's mention of Tika from Dragonlance, gods from multiple settings (faerun, grayhawk, dragonlance, numerous real world pantheons). I think Mearls is the correct one on this. Faerun isn't as intertwined with the Big Three as Greyhawk was in 3e (they only had the GH deities listed). Of course, I haven't read any of the lore fluff stuff they include in the MM for 5e, as that doesn't interest me. I run my own setting. Which is why Volo and Mordenkainen's books aren't worth the $50, and honestly aren't worth the $30-something that Amazon charges for them.

The lore in VGtM and MToF is not FR specific. Most notably, the gnoll and elf lore directly contradict FR lore that came before, and there are quite a few examples of less extreme contraditions/retcons in the other sections. Most of the lore in those books is setting-neutral, with examples/exceptions noted in the text. The only major FR-specific lore that infused an entire section (and isn't just an example) is the Ordning in the giant section.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads