• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is formatting of OGL content copyright?

Tessarael

Explorer
Simple example: suppose I want to contribute table 4-2 (Class Skills/Cross-Class Skills), or table 4-5 (Skill Synergies) to Sage's SRD. Is that allowed under the OGL license?

The skill synergies and class skills for the core classes are all listed in the SRD. Can we make tables of them? Can the tables look the same as WotC tables or do we have to make them different?

Musing on how to further improve the lovely html SRD ... :)

Last edited:

Dogbrain

First Post
Tessarael said:
Simple example: suppose I want to contribute table 4-2 (Class Skills/Cross-Class Skills), or table 4-5 (Skill Synergies) to Sage's SRD. Is that allowed under the d20 license?

The d20 license is NOT THE SAME THING AS THE SRD AND NOT THE SAME THING AS THE OGL. Anything and everything that bears the d20 license must be negotiated directly with Hasbro.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Uhmmm...

You don't actually have to negotiate anything with Hasbro if you are following the terms of the d20 license, Dogbrain. In fact, I dare to say that a vast majority of d20 publishers have never negotiated a thing with Hasbro, and a number have never even talked to a Hasbro or Wizards rep or legal dept.

Tessarael - you could recreate those tables as all the material to create them is in the SRD. I would certainly number them differently (or not number them at all). Formatting -is- copyrightable, after all, and most copyright notices in d20 products specifically state that the graphic design and layout is part of the copyright.

Remove ads