• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is it poor taste to badmouth another gaming website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Axe

Explorer
There doesn't seem to be a generic Rants forum anymore, but is it considered bad form to express my disappointment in what was once-upon-a-time a mainstay of my gaming experience?

Even leaving aside the declining activity on the swrpgnetwork.com site over the past few years, I am grossly irked by the fact that its' been three full years that the mod(s) put out a call for help to revamp the site, and then no news whatsoever on that progress. Geez, nothing?

Secondly, the site has become a home for web trollers who simply use the site as an unprotected opportunity to register fake username accounts in order to back up their spamming in other areas of the Net. I've complained about this. Others have complained about this. And It seems like there's been nothing but a raft of excuses for the lack of updates.

All I see is, "It's not our fault", "We've tried cleaning up the boards", "We don't have this or that". Come on.

Like I say, this used to be a heavyweight mainstay for my gaming life, so it isn't just some high-school reject attempt at internet modding.

but Man, if you can't get control of your board or grab the programming resources to upgrad what you've WANTED to upgrade for 36 months, then for the love of the game, shut it down. Just close up shop and take your hardware home. Stop allowing the leeches of the internet world to use you.

End Rant. Thank you.

Crothian

First Post
There never has been a generic forum for rants. And yes it is in bad taste to complain about other sites here. :D

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
If you are paying to use the site and their services, you have a right to complain. If it's a free membership and entirely run by other volunteers and fans, not so much.

Oryan77

Adventurer
There used to be a thread on another site where people badmouthed EN World every day. Does it make a difference that both sites are owned by the same guy? :lol:

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Yes. I think it's poor taste.

If one feels they can't post their criticism on the actual offending site, for whatever reason, then it's inappropriate anywhere else.

If it's to avoid retribution or backlash on the offending site, then one should probably seriously rethink their own position...it may not be as cut and dried as one believes.

If it's because one isn't allowed to post their anymore, then most definitely not. The bridge has been burned (at least mostly) by one's own actions. Ranting about it somewhere else is not only bad taste, but also a case of sour grapes (which immediately implies a lack of validity).

If one is looking for real change (hoping to bring a problem to light in hopes it may be fixed), then the only viable choice is to post at the site itself...where those who have the ability to make change are present. Posting it somewhere else means it likely won't be seen by those who can fix it, and is likely only a means to vent one's own emotions (likely hoping to gain a sympathetic ear or response...which is as likely to not happen as it is likely...). It's a very inefficient avenue for such purposes.

So in short, it's ineficient, unconstructive, likely petulant, and definitely poor taste.

Also, all I read was the title of the OP and the first sentence. I purposely ignored and avoided the rest. At least as far as my reading it is concerned, the effort was completely wasted.

:erm:

Alarian

First Post
After a quick look at the site it looks like it's on it's last breath anyway. Very few posts made this year. My suggestion would be to find a new site. Considering the subject I would think it would be pretty easy to find a much more active and better run site. My guess is the website owner has pretty much abandoned already.

Janx

Hero
it's probably bad to badmouth anything behind its back. Or possibly in front of its back even.

As the old saying goes "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

I could think of exceptions being for actual crime and harm done:

as in "don't trust that guy, he stole my money, beat me up, kicked my dog as in I literally witnessed him commit a crime."

Complaining about somebody doing a bad job, doesn't seem to meet that bar, and in practice leads to trouble on you more often than them.

I am certainly no mod, but ENWorld has never condoned cross-site drama, like bashing other gaming forums.

As for the site in question, I am sad to see that it appeara to have gone downhill. I recall circa 2005 when that was a very active site and met up with posters from there at Gen Con. I think I was last there about a year ago, and that was brief.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Yeah, we try to avoid that sort of thing here. I'd advise you to contact them and offer to help. You are welcome to start discussions here about SWRPG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads